Chespin and Snorlax XY Promos in Japanese Food Products

I love it when an artist incorporates multiple cards to tell a story. Chespin is picking berries, and then suddenly he falls and Snorlax wakes up to save the day!

These are adorable! I love it when Pokemon Cards tell a story together, it's always super cute!

The artwork reminds me of those poor little Natu in legendary treausres, that are lost and cold in the middle of a Blizzard, then the big, but not so scary Buffalant comes and saves them, and the two of them cuddle up for warmth, in Buffalants fur. awww

then we have Charmeleon in the same set, who is looking for something, but doesn't notice the swablu directly behind him, and his tail burns the Swablu's wing, and it flies into the sky in pain from the burn.

I think the Natu/ Buffalant story is my favourite though.

[C][C][C] Knock Away: 50+ damage. Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 30 more damage.

the card shows 4 energies required

Hopefully they won't release the food products in the U.S., because they look disgusting.
Cool mini story, though.

I doubt the food will be released here. If we get these cards at all it will be as filler for other sets.

Now let's get the whole story. We need Pikachu, Fennekin and Froakie.

I have to agree with others; I enjoy when the art across multiple cards helps to tell a story (love the LTR Tepig, Pignite and Emboar for this reason).

I am also a huge (literally) Snorlax fan. Regrettably the card isn't as good as it needs to be in order to be competitive though given how things have been going I'm glad they didn't make it something so ridiculously broken that it becomes a problem. I've never accepted the idea that it is okay to make "bad" cards. Specialized cards? Sure. If one is worried about a promo (or other hard-to-get) card being "too good" because of lack of access, all that has to happen is that it be reprinted elsewhere in a more accessible form (preferably with different art so the difference is easy to see). Keeps it collectible but allows for it to be playable.

Running through things quick...

Stage: Basic - I really wish the designers would take advantage of how many Pokémon there are (and thus how long we often go without a particular card being printed) to just make older "Basics" with "Baby" forms into proper Basic=>Stage 1 Pokémon (and if there is a Stage 1 involved, bump it up to Stage 2 status).
Type: Colorless, of course.
HP: 120... why not 130? The "short" version is that video game Snorlax are big and when the larger variety of HP scores for the video games are compressed into the TCG, this should be one of the Pokémon that get maxed out.
Weakness: Fighting is appropriate but horribly dangerous. Unless rotation is supposed to nerf Fighting-Types, this will be one of the more dangerous Weaknesses to have outside of whatever flavor-of-the-expansion deck is currently popular. The Ability does keep a Lucario-EX/Muscle Band/Strong Energy open from scoring a OHKO against Snorlax, but by only 10 HP. Again, not saying Weakness should be a different Type, just that Fighting Weakness is pretty sick right now.
Resistance: None, but since Ghosts are part of a triple-video-game-Type conversion I can understand why.
Retreat Cost: [CCCC] is massive, but that is to be expected on a Snorlax. Still it would be nice if the rest of the card was good enough that such a burden was warranted in terms of game balance as well as flavor.
Ability: Seems good to me; it isn't something it has in the source material but the options the video games provide aren't so great by TCG standards.
Attack: Horrible - four Energy should easily yield 100 damage in the current metagame and that isn't enough to ensure something is competitive, just not "automatically bad". For one less Energy this attack would still be priced as three-for-80 isn't uncommon. Four for 50 (and sometimes for 80) is just awful. Also it doesn't feel overly "Snorlax" like.

I have to agree with others; I enjoy when the art across multiple cards helps to tell a story (love the LTR Tepig, Pignite and Emboar for this reason).

Stage: Basic - I really wish the designers would take advantage of how many Pokémon there are (and thus how long we often go without a particular card being printed) to just make older "Basics" with "Baby" forms into proper Basic=>Stage 1 Pokémon (and if there is a Stage 1 involved, bump it up to Stage 2 status).

Yes and yes. Story cards and Pokemon which actually evolve from another being treated as proper evolutions. I mean they never go beyond a three stage family when babies are introduced so it makes sense. Technically they do already with Riolu and Togepi getting treated as basics when they're actually baby Pokemon.

Snorlax being given away with food products. The irony is delicious XD.

On a more serious note, the Snorlax card's pretty good, despite having a hefty energy and retreat cost.

Steffenka we may know what Pikachu does (Roaring Skirs reprint) but if the other promos tell a story like the first two then we need that image for the story to be completely told. That what I meant about needing to see it.

Pika6319 but don't you think we would've seen another Chespin artwork if that was the case? I'm rather sure that they've given the same promos at multiple events. For example the Roaring Skies Pikachu have been given out at both some McDonalds campaign and some Daiichi campaings.

I remember the last time restaurants gave away Pokemon cards, here in the UK was in Burger King, but that's dating back to the year 1999 or something. You got plushies, spinners, toys that lit up, and even the secret gold rare XCarrat cards. The Pokemon Cards weren't playable, and they didn't even have attacks or anything. You just had to collect all 150 Pokemon to complete the set. I myself have still got one or 2 spinners and some of the cards left today. I wonder what they would be worth?

Back