Ruling Charizard Reshiram GX attack question?

jamashawalker

Ikouze!
Will Charizard Reshiram's GX attack, when it has 6 Fire energy attached, go through abilities such as Bronzong (TEU) or Vileplume (BUS)?

Based on the translation which we all know could change between now and its release, the card text says "this attacks damage". I think that Vileplume's ability doesnt allow the attack to even start, thus there is not damage that would be able to bypass abilities. I'm new so I could be wrong but im interested in hearing what others have to say.

That would be my interpretation also. Charizard/Reshiram Tag Team GX says to ignore all effects on this attack's damage; so any effect or ability that prevented or adjusted the damage would be nullified. However, it does not say "ignore all effects on the defending Pokémon" or similar - so Vileplume (which says simply the opposing Pokémon cannot attack) would still work.

Cool Thanks ya'll. This is all great information in case I decide to play with/against Charizard Reshiram. :)

This does lead to my next question. What if Charizard Reshiram or any other let's say basic Fire pokemon was wearing that Secret Hood tool? Would that be able to go through Bronzong and/or Vileplume?

I'm going to say "probably" on Vileplume. Vileplume does something to your active pokemon (i.e., makes it so it can't attack), so Secret Hood's "Prevent all effects of your opponent's Pokémon's Abilities done to the Pokémon this card is attached to." will prevent that.

Bronzong, though... "Prevent all damage done to this Pokémon by attacks from your opponent's Fire Pokémon." I'm less sure about this one. My gut feeling is that it would not work here. I'll have to spend some time reading through the Compendium, or perhaps Pokemedic or Alphavoxel or one of the others will know if this counts as an ability "done" to this Pokémon or not. Or we might just have to wait...

I'm more confident that Bronzong doesn't do anything here. Look at this ruling:

http://compendium.pokegym.net/compendium-bw.html said:
Q. If I use Mega Sceptile EX's "Jagged Saber" attack against Giratina EX with the "Renegade Pulse" Ancient Trait, does Mega Sceptile EX's "Theta Stop" Ancient Trait prevent "Renegade Pulse" from blocking the damage? If not, then does "Renegade Pulse" prevent "Jagged Saber" from attaching any Grass Energy?
A. Renegade Pulse prevents all effects of attacks done to Giratina EX, but it does not "do anything" to Mega Sceptile EX for its Theta Stop to kick in. So the damage part is blocked by Renegade Pulse, but the effect of attaching energy is not being done to Giratina EX so that part of the attack does not get blocked. (Sep 3, 2015 TPCi Rules Team)

That's basically the same combination. Theta Stop doesn't prevent Renegade Pulse, where Theta Stop is nearly identical to Secret Hood and Renegade Pulse is nearly identical to Bronzong (in this context of fire pokémon).

I'm more confident that Bronzong doesn't do anything here. Look at this ruling:

That's basically the same combination. Theta Stop doesn't prevent Renegade Pulse, where Theta Stop is nearly identical to Secret Hood and Renegade Pulse is nearly identical to Bronzong (in this context of fire pokémon).

So does this mean C&R TTGX (Secret Hood attached) attacks Bronzong with Flare Strike, it will NOT damage Bronzong?

So does this mean C&R TTGX (Secret Hood attached) attacks Bronzong with Flare Strike, it will NOT damage Bronzong?

I'd like to hear from more experienced judges, and I'd like to see the actual cards before saying for sure. But if I had to say -then yes, I think it would not damage Bronzong, as Secret Hood would only affect any abilities that had an effect on the wearer of Secret Hood, and Bronzong's ability has an effect on Bronzong, not on the attacking Pokémon.

I'd like to hear from more experienced judges, and I'd like to see the actual cards before saying for sure. But if I had to say -then yes, I think it would not damage Bronzong, as Secret Hood would only affect any abilities that had an effect on the wearer of Secret Hood, and Bronzong's ability has an effect on Bronzong, not on the attacking Pokémon.

I agree too on the judges part. Because this is a little bit of a tricky one :p

Am judge so can confirm
Vileplume would negate the Gx move as the effect is on charizard not vileplume
Bronzong would die as it goes through the effect that's on bronzong
Secret hood would allow charizard to attack vileplume but would not allow it to attack bronzong unless you were using GX move

Back