• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Charizard Help.

XFlameMasterX

Aspiring Trainer
Hey all. I just finished my new Charizard deck today and I'm sorry to say it hasn't fared that well so far. I was energy screwed twice, and the 3rd time I couldn't get any of my 4 Pokemon Communication.... To make matters worse, I was playing against a very poorly executed Salamence deck. The darn thing ran a 2-2 line of Monferno MD for crying out loud! My record was 1-2. Is there anything I should be running and aren't, or are there any glaring flaws that I'm completely missing? Thanks in advance, here's the list:

Pokemon: 22
4-2-4 Charizard AR{R}
2-1-2 Typhlosion Prime{R}
1-1 Infernape 4 Lv. X{R}
2-2 Ninetales HGSS{R}
1 Uxie LA{P}

T/S/S: 26
4 Candy
3 Communication
2 Belt
1 Lux Ball
2 WP
3 Bebe
2 Seeker
4 Collector
2 PONT
1 Fisherman
2 BTS

NRG: 12
10{R}
2 Rescue

-1 fisherman
-2 -2 ninetails
- 1 Bebe
- 1 Lux ball
- 1 Pokemon collector

+ 3 Engineer's Adjustments
+ 2 Pokemon contest hall
+ 3 pokemon tools (energy link perhaps)

engineer's adjustments does use up your supporter for your turn, BUT it's better than ninetails IMO since ninetails is kind of weak. and u draw 4 instead of 3 on an energy discard.

pokemon contest hall will let you bring a pokemon onto your bench and attach a tool off a coin flip. energy link is cool cuz then you can bring energy up with typhlosion onto a benched pokemon with alot of damage, then energy link it to your active, and seeker the weaker pokemon to null the damage done by typhlosion's pokepower. contest hall, communication, and collector will be your main source of filling the bench.

I would say to remove Uxie, but people tend to not like that idea

I honestly think that this is one of the few decks that does better without Uxie (the 10 less damage from Fire Formation hurts soooo much)
-2 PONT
-3 Fire
-2 Seeker
-1 Uxie

+1 Fisherman
+1 Charmeleon
+1 Ninetales
+1 Vulpix
+1 Infernape 4
+2 Interviewer's Questions
+1 E-Belt

These Changes are to boost consistancy while Attempting to maintain maximum Power with Fire Formation. The 2nd Fisherman really can make a world of Difference when you are constantly dumping energy in the Roast Reveal.

@carlitosbob: Not getting rid of Ninetales. Ninetales is a staple in every Charizard deck I've ever seen and it's the only reason I won my last fight. Also, your energy link idea is completely negated by the fact that I could just include Stark Mountain, which lets me transfer a {R} or {F} energy from one of my pokemon, to a {R} or {F} pokemon. I can Afterburner to Uxie or something like that, then transfer to the Pokemon I need it on. My 2 Stark Mountains were cut from my deck during the final stages of me putting the deck together. I may or may not put them back in.

@Karate_Dude: Uxie has saved my bacon as well. Not only that, when I'm not able to KO someone, it's never due to Uxie. It's either because I can't draw what I need, or because I need an extra 20 damage. Will definitely consider Interviewers Questions, another Fisherman, and another Charmeleon.

I´m definately going for the Uxie as you. You´ll very often get a good start with Charizard on T1 or T2. After evolving and so, you´ll sit with 0-3 cards in your hand. If one of them is a Collector, go for Uxie, Charmander and Vulpix.

Anyways, I wouldn´t run that Palmer´s. As long as your Rescue Energies is where you want it, and the Typhlosion is there go, you don´t need him.

I would consider this:

- 1-1 Inferape 4 Lv. X (I have no idea what you´re using it for)
- 1 Palmer´s Contribution

+ 1 Charmeleon
+ 1 Warp Point or Super Scoop Up
+ Some other shit.

:)

C'mon man! You start giving good advice, then you tell me you've no idea what Infernap 4 is for? Anyways, Infernape 4 is amazing in this deck. As you should know, Charizard is very trainer heavy, and once a Pokemon dies, I can send up Infernape, level it up, and if my opponent is using some form of trainer lock(like spiritomb) i can force a switch so i can use my trainers. If I'm short on KO'ing someone, I can also force a switch to a benched Pokemon that's possibly weaker than the active so I can kill it off. This works especially well with Gyarados, which is usually filled with random bench techs that can't take 80 to face once Gyarados has been swapped. It makes a free retreater for when something gets killed as well. I can send Infernape 4 X up until I figure out who I want to be active. Split Bomb can also kill off weakened benched Pokemon in a pinch.

What's the point of asking for help if you're just going to turn it all away?

Anyways, something you might want to consider is Call Energy. I see the point for Rescue Energy, and it could go either way, but Call energy is huge for getting Ninetales out early, especially since you're only running 1 Uxie. It also helps a ton against Seeker donks.

If you don't like call, I would drop the Fisherman for a 4th Pokémon Collector, and a Pokémon Communication for a 2nd Uxie, in case your 1 Uxie is prized, or an SP deck decides to use Power Spray.

just to warn you, "the power of three" thinks every one needs call energy.
he told me the same with my luxchomp

@The Power of Three: I'm not turning it all away. I'm responding to those who post and giving my opinion on the ideas offered.

Anywho, Call Energy is something Charizard players in general seem to be iffy on. I've seen lists run 4, I've seen lists run 2-3 Rescue, and I've seen lists run just 15{R}. I only have 4 copies of Call and their decked. They're also about to rotate out, and since I plan to Tournament test Charizard for awhile, I'm in no hurry to get more.

I was already pondering adding a 4th Collector, so that seems like a good plan, however you're the first person whose told me to drop Fisherman all together.

Why would I run 2 Uxie in a deck that benefits from having {R} manz on the bench? My running 1 Uxie is already causing some of the Charizard players to deem it unnecessary. However, I'm keeping it due to the fact that I find my hand at 3 cards or less very often with the deck. If I don't have a {R} energy in my hand, and no Uxie, then I have no draw power. Since Uxie can be searched out, I favor it over more energy.

One thing I'm definitely considering is dropping my Charizard line to a 3-2-3 and upping my BTS to 3. Out of the 3 times I've played this deck so far, I've started with 1 or more Charizards in my hand 3/3 times. How I also had 1 or less Charmanders is beyond me but yeah.... I know I have to playtest this deck a lot more, I'm just looking for thoughts to see if anyone else has a different theory that might have worked for them that's better than my current list before I test too much further.

To add onto the Purposes of Infernape it makes for amazing disruption, grants many easy prizes, and stops Umbreon Lock

-1 Fisherman
-1 Bebe
-1 Communication

+2 IQ
+1 Palmers

These changes will allow you to easily draw out energies from your deck and allow you to recover some energies or important Pokemon from your discard pile after some of your Pokemon have been KO'd.

^The only thing that worries me about including IQ is whether or not I actually run enough energy to make it effective. I don't want to get into percentages or anything, but I usually try to make all of my IQ decks run at least 15 energy. Has anyone else had success running 12 or fewer energy with IQ?

This is what I would try...

-1 Bebe's
-1 Communication
-1 Palmer's
-1 Uxie
-1 Belt or a second communication

+3 Fire
+2 IQ

Up your energy line to 15 and I think you will see a ton more draw power. The 10 damage from Uxie makes a difference when its calculated more than once, and its a dead draw if you have busted out several Roasts. The Infernape is nice. I use Blaziken FB in mine. I hope this helps as im sure you have considered these changes before. Keep the fire energy line high and if you keep the cards comming the speed will show up. Good luck!

first of all 4 collectors is good for charizard since it relies on geting fire pokemon on bench also you need more attackers that run well like ERL and blaziken fb lv.x so there is more than 1 attacker and dialga wont finish you off also i run 10 and IQ will help for building faster and here is something that will give you faster draws run two uxies or run a azelf i recommend uxie and you will not fail it will be good to run 3 bts and 2 stark run 3 charmeleon if you got any question i would love to help also try looking into Jwittz video on charizard.

In my opinion you don't really need the 1-1 infernape X line. Unless you find it very useful in most of your games i'd reccomend dropping it. I don't know how they'd KO your active with something like a spiritomb, that thing never attacks. It'd make more sense to power up a charizard on your bench and send that up if something KOs you. My reccomendations are:

-1-1 Infernape X
-1 Communication (3 is plenty IMO)
-1 Palmer's (You don't need it for energy because of fisher, and you have heavy enough pokemon lines)
-1 Bebe's Search

+2 fire energy
+2 Interviewers questions
+1 BTS

infernape is used to switch spiritomb away or trying to get vileplume to kill because charizard is a trainer using deck

@ Cris: I was just thinking that, yeah.
@ WhimsicalBox: I meant that Infernape 4 was good at causing disruption in general. If Spiritomb is active, Infernape 4 can cause it to swap out.

Also, It seems like most people are suggesting something along these lines:

-1 Communication
-1 Palmers
-1 Bebe's Search
+1 Communication
+3 IQ Test.
Something like that.
I can't test the deck out again until next weekend, when I go to league, but when I do I'll post results here. In the meantime, keep suggesting changes and I'll do my best to incorporate all I can. Thanks again!

DIALGA G X said:
just to warn you, "the power of three" thinks every one needs call energy.
he told me the same with my luxchomp

I do not think EVERYTHING needs call. I just think the decks that need call Energy need Call. ( like LuxChomp.) Also, I said Call was OPTIONAL, not NECCESSARY.

Anyways, I don't see why you would take Palmer's out. It's the only way you have to get a Charizard back out of the discard pile. I understand that you play rescue energy, but if your opponent can repetitively kill Charizard with something like Fainting Spell, Flash Bite, or Poison Structure, you would literally have no way to get anything back out of the discard pile. I would keep the palmers and drop something else. If you're considering the IQ, I would test 2 and the Palmer's instead of 3 and no Palmer's.

Just my suggestions. otherwise the front page list looks much better. It should have less problems, I think. :)

Back