Charizard, Dragonite VSTAR, Mewtwo V Secret Rare, Kanto Starters Revealed from “Pokemon GO” Set!

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
A new Charizard and Dragonite VSTAR have just been revealed from the special Pokemon GO set releasing this July, along with the secret rare version of Mewtwo V! The cards are in Chinese. Thanks goes to Law T. for the translations!
Charizard – Fire – HP170
Stage 2 – Evolves from Charmeleon
Ability: Fierce Burn
Each basic [R] Energy attached to your Pokémon provides [R][R] Energy. You can’t apply more than 1 Fierce Burn Ability at a time.
[R][R][C][C] Flare Blitz: 170 damage. Discard all [R] Energy from this Pokemon.
Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance: Retirement
Retreat: 3

Mewtwo V...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
N's Rhyperior coming to talk about how a rare candy re-print has not yet been announced en 3, 2...

No, seriously, this Charizard is quite good if we get a rare candy re-print. Or even better, a broken time-space stadium only for none rule-box pokémon :p

Dragonite VStar hits for exactly the same amount than Dragonite V, exhanging the damade to your own bench for one more energy card cost and requiring retreat to attack again. I guess that's good because you can also attack with a V charged up by the VStar power. In any case, I can see a deck with those two and an engine similar to Palkia VStar decks working. Yes, I know the Inteleon line is going to rotate, but not just yet xD

Can't wait to peel these cards to find Ditto underneath!!
(I know what @PMJ said about Ditto, but still....)

I think this is only good if the VSTAR is an ability not a move then I'd definitely incorporate it into my Dragonite V but as is I'm very in the fence as to if it is better than the regular V

Charizard - sucks that we might not get Rare Candy and its June now, and no news regarding rotation yet. Other than that, pretty decent card. Not even enough to KO most Vs. 220 is the key number rn. 3-4 Geodudes
Dragonite VSTAR - This will end up as another Arceus VSTAR variant, as other Dragon Vs cards will end up. At least it KOs VSTAR, and that's what it matters. The VSTAR Power can be used in some situations, but most of the time you'll end up using Starbirth for setup. 3/4-5
Mewtwo V AA - Not surprised. I've seen one on Twitter recently. Someone pulled it in ASR packs.

Dragonite VStar: Ultimate Impact > Giga Impact, a move it gets in the video games and whose effect is consistent with other Pokemon with the move in the TCG.

Am I the only one who looked at Dragonite VSTAR and thought "20 energy Raichu V deck, with switching cups, the deck searches to shuffle the energy in, potentially ordinary rod for ultra ball discards, plenty of stadiums so Path to the peak doesnt shut you down? Could be swinging straight out the gate with Raichu V for some truly Insane numbers

I'm getting annoyed with everyone grading them on their attacks, so let me grade the artwork.
Charizard - actually really like the artwork, most Charizards are kind of lame but get a really high price.
Mewtwo V alt art - I just really wish they would do more with this, the illustrator is literally a cgi company. If pokemon starts making all alt arts and cards like this, I will hate it.
Dragonite Vstar - Got to be the coolest Vstar I've seen, definitely will be one of my top chases.
Kanto starters - Kind of what I expected, but I like that they all have gifts in their hands. Cute artwork though.
Dragonite V - Nice artwork as well, I really like how in the top right the sun is poking out from behind a cloud.

Dragonite VStar is fairly interesting for Standard, certainly more so than its base form was. It's like a higher risk higher reward Palkia Vstar, in that unlike Palkia you can potentially get less than 3 energy accelerated or even 0, but can also potentially accelerate far more energy. The big issue is that Dragonite VStar requires 2 different energy types in the deck and also does not want to use Special Energies, but if you can get past that it hits a very good amount of damage, has no weakness (although it doesn't hit for one either), and aside from the Dragonite VStar that uses the power you can easily just attack with regular Dragonite V's for the rest of your attackers and hit the same numbers for lower energy cost.

As for Expanded where Dragonite V has been making huge waves for over half a year as one of the strongest decks there in (Electric) ADP Dragonite... at best it's a 1 of, just so you have a VStar Power and can hit through things like Disgusting Pollen Vileplume, and to give certain MU a harder OHKO threshold... but the more expensive attack cost isn't great, especially when Bench Barrier Mr. Mime completely nullified the drawback of the base Dragonite V, you could get it's attack up and running immediately first turn going second with Double Dragon + Tapu Koko Prism Star/Max Elixir (or Melony if running the rarer water variant), Shred could be used to deal with things like Miltank, and the best decks in format (Volcarona Turbo, Meloetta Turbo, Turbo Dark, Tsareena V, ADP Dragonite mirror match, etc etc) can just as easily OHKO Dragonite VStar as its basic form.

I also forgot to mention that Dragonite VStar works REALLY well with both Radiant Greninja and Hawlucha. The deck is probably running at least 10 energy to take advantage of Dragonite's VStar power, so Greninja can dump the extra ones you draw (setting up for Melony) and also get powered up by the VStar power allowing you to also snipe and potentially force a 7 prize game. On the other hand Hawlucha (which I've really enjoyed using in my Expanded ADP Dragonite deck this past week) with Choice Belt allows both Dragonite V and VStar to hit for 310, allowing it to OHKO some VMAX Pokemon including Mew VMAX if Oricorio isn't present.

Edit: I now realize that Dragonite's VStar Power is an Attack... yeah, ignore everything above. Zero reason to use it in Expanded, and it's too slow for Standard.

Last edited:
So Dragonite VSTAR doesn't get the luxurious "Pokemon Go" stamp treatment? Fix that error TPC you know how important this is. Place it on dragonite face if you have to.

I know charizard hate is standard by now, but seriously, it's every 2-4 sets now. Absolutely ridiculous. They seem to think they're in a position where it's impossible to release new sets without somehow shoving his fat orange butt in every other set, but that's simply not true. Maybe make a special set dedicated to giving every single starter trio other than the gen 1 trio new cards? I can literally guarantee they'd make so, so, so much money.

also that mewtwo v alt art is awesome, I wish there were Pokemon in this set that were located in specific regions, like each of the Simi monkies in their specific continents.

Back