• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded CeleSaur v0.0

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
This past weekend, I played at the Greensboro Regional tournament (Expanded format) and decided to play an altered Standard deck which I had been playing for about 2 weeks:

4 Celebi & Venasaur GX
1 Oranguru (Resource Management)
3 Shaymin (Floral Heal)
1 Tapu Koko (Flying Flip)

4 Double Colorless
8 Grass

1 Acerola
1 Aether Paradise Conservation Area
1 Brock's Grit
1 Buff Padding
1 Colress
1 Computer Search
4 Crushing Hammer
3 Cynthia
2 Energy Loto
2 Enhanced Hammer
2 Field Blower
3 Guzma
1 Judge
1 Life Forest PS
3 Lillie
1 N
3 Nest Ball
3 Net Ball
1 Parallel City
2 Tate & Liza
1 VS Seeker
1 Wishful Baton

I ended the first day with a record of 4-3-2 with 2 of my losses stemming from some extremely "bad" luck (e.g., starting with a lone Oranguru and my opponent KOd it on his first turn...).

This deck played well throughout the tournament day 1 (against decks like Trevenant, Hitmonchan, Archie's Blastoise, and PikaRom), but I also have a few ideas for the next Expanded tournament. Interestingly enough, I also noticed that a few players piloting their versions of CeleSaur made day 2 of the tournament too...

I'd welcomed your thoughts for suggested improvements. Thank you.

With so many 1-of/2-of Trainers, I’m thinking Dowsing Machine is better off as your Ace Spec here. It can come in clutch late game to great effect e.g. if you need Buff Padding to turn a 2HKO into a 3HKO.

Additionally, I would assume that in a Celebi and Venusaur deck that Aether Paradise would be an instant 4 of. Despite my limited knowledge of the deck, 1 count of a Stadium tailor-made for this card seems a little low.

With so many 1-of/2-of Trainers, I’m thinking Dowsing Machine is better off as your Ace Spec here. It can come in clutch late game to great effect e.g. if you need Buff Padding to turn a 2HKO into a 3HKO...
Understood. But, I found from testing that I "wanted" to get a card more from my deck (especially early-mid game) versus my discard pile. So, the Computer Search was favored over the Dowsing Machine.

...Additionally, I would assume that in a Celebi and Venusaur deck that Aether Paradise would be an instant 4 of. Despite my limited knowledge of the deck, 1 count of a Stadium tailor-made for this card seems a little low.
My biggest concern for playing the APCA Stadium was for the expected, popular PikaRom match-up in which the Stadium would benefit my opponent too. And with hindsight being 20-20, I wished I had played Silent Lab too.

My biggest concern for playing the APCA Stadium was for the expected, popular PikaRom match-up in which the Stadium would benefit my opponent too. And with hindsight being 20-20, I wished I had played Silent Lab too.
Surely Silent Lab would be detrimental as it turns off your Shaymin?

No doubt; that's why in an updated version of the deck, I'd would not play the Shaymins at all.... There are a few other ideas I'm testing.
I find it sort of troubling that you only have 2 plays of Acerola, because it seems like you’d need at least 3 for this big meme of a deck.

Lately, I've done some further testing and found that Mixed Herbs is a very nice alternative to the Shaymins (which are easy 1HKO targets, as well as bad starters).

Back