Celebi23's 2011-2012 Season

Celebi23

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
This season was my first playing since mid-2010 and also my first as a Master.

Autumn Battle Roads
#1: 7-0 1st (Donphan/Yanmega/Zoroark)
#2: 2-3 (Donphan/Yanmega/Weavile)

I was really happy to win my first tournament as a Master with a clean sweep. However, the second one shook my confidence a little. I decked myself twice, as it was my first time using a deck with 4 Juniper. I felt pretty stupid after that tournament, since I was the only undefeated player left in the state until Round 3.

Autumn Regionals
#1: 10-3 1st (Vileplume/Reuniclus/Donphan/Suicune & Entei Leend/Zekrom)

It's true when people say that it doesn't matter how many times you succeed in a major tournament, it's always incredibly rewarding. This was my second Regional win, and although I was still ecstatic, it feels like much less of an accomplishment without a scholarship attached to the win. Even though this Regional had over 4x as many people in my division than the last one I won (something like 47 to 230), I felt like I accomplished more the first time.

Cities
#1: 3-2 (Typhlosion/Reshiram)
#2: 3-3 (Typhlosion/Reshiram)
#3: 4-3 Top 8 (Magnezone/Eelektrik)
#4: 7-2 Top 2 (Magnezone/Eelektrik)
#5: 3-3 (Magnezone/Eelektrik)
#6: 4-2 Top 8 (Magnezone/Eelektrik)
#7: 3-2 (Magnezone/Eelektrik)
#8: 3-3 (Yanmega/Terrakion/Cobalion/Kyurem)
#9: 3-2 (Yanmega/Terrakion/Cobalion)

So, I attended a huge number of Cities for terrible overall results. Metagaming was my main problem. I really struggled in such a diverse format where every deck had great matchups and terrible matchups with very few even ones.

I was originally planning to play Durant; I'd grown to love Twins-based decks and the deck had great matchups against most of the format. However, I read into the format too much and assumed that most other people would be playing Durant as well. So I opted to play Typhlosion/Reshiram. I won every game I got a Supporter at the first Cities, so I decided to stick with it even though there were very few Durant players and they all did poorly. I got beat up pretty badly the next Cities, so I decided to switch to EelZone immediately after.

Upon changing decks, I immediately saw more success. I was able to dodge most of my bad matchups for awhile, cutting three of the next four Cities I played in and getting donked out of cut in the one I missed. However, around this point, everybody realized Eelektrik decks were the ones to beat. Everybody switched to Durant, Vileplume/Chandelure, 6 Corners, or some other deck built to win against Magneels. I took the worst of this Eel hate in the next Cities, whiffing cut.

This put me in a bad position rankings-wise, because it meant that I had to go deep into top cut during the final two Cities to be able to maintain a position in Top 40. I knew I had to switch decks to be able to do this. But there really wasn't another meta deck I liked. My original thought was to play Durant, but I thought that after the deck took two of the last two Cities in my area, it would be getting quite a bit of hate, much like Eel was already getting. At this point, I finally realized that in this format, any deck could get hate on any given day if it played the wrong matchups. I decided to go rogue to reduce the chance of getting hard countered.

I really enjoyed myself at the next Cities I played in. My deck worked exactly the way I wanted it to, basically functioning as a 6 Corners that didn't lose when its energy left the field. For the first time since I got back into the game, I felt like I was outplaying people. However, I played against a Truth deck and narrowly lost to it; it wasn't one of the decks I was expecting to play. I then proceeded to half-misplay against Durant, assuming he wouldn't topdeck a way to get out of his dead hand in a turn. If he didn't, I would win by KOing his lone Durant. So I hit it for 60, and he then proceeded to topdeck Collector. This ruined me because I was banking on using Spiritomb to win the matchup. However, because I damaged his Durant, I had to KO it early with Spiritomb, giving him Twins and, for all practical purposes, the win. In the final round, I ran cold against ZPST to lose my shot at cutting. At the final Cities, I was donked twice and proceeded to bubble cut despite winning all my other games.

A very frustrating overall run; so much so that I was thinking about quitting. However, I began playtesting in the new HeartGold SoulSilver-Next Destinies format and I absolutely loved it. I loved the dynamic the EX cards added to the game, and the format became much more centralized. I knew I could do better in it.

States
#1: 4-2 Top 32 (Celebi/Mewtwo-EX/Tornadus/Regigigas-EX)
#2: 8-3 Top 4 (Celebi/Mewtwo-EX/Tornadus/Regigigas-EX)
#3: 0-2 Drop (Celebi/Mewtwo-EX/Tornadus/Regigigas-EX)

I took a rough Round 1 loss to Durant in the first States, which ultimately cost me top cut after a second fairly early loss.

At this point, I knew I had to do really well really quickly to have any chance at an invite. I was falling onto the fourth page of rankings, which felt terrible. I really came through on the second week though, sneaking into cut in 16th place and having a pretty good run.

The third states was an absolute disaster, as I once again took a Round 1 loss to Durant.

Spring Regionals
#1: 7-3 Top 8 (Celebi/Mewtwo-EX/Tornadus/Regigigas-EX)

I knew I had to do well at this tournament, although I couldn't shake the feeling I already had no chance at an invite unless I won. I ended up losing mirror in Top 8, but got a few points anyway so I was satisfied. I was even more satisfied by the fact that I was able to sweep a Durant deck (my biggest enemy this format) in Top 16, winning the entire match in eight turns.

Spring Battle Roads
#1: 3-2 (Darkrai-EX/Smeargle)
#2: 4-1 Bubble (Zekrom/Eelektrik/Mewtwo-EX/Smeargle/Terrakion)
#3: 6-1 1st (Zekrom/Eelektrik/Mewtwo-EX/Smeargle/Terrakion)
#4: 4-1 Bubble (Zekrom/Eelektrik/Mewtwo-EX/Smeargle/Terrakion)
#5: 4-2 Top 4 (Zekrom/Eelektrik/Mewtwo-EX/Smeargle/Terrakion)

At first, I was pretty set on Darkrai. However, I quickly realized that Terrakion destroyed it, even with Defender. So I switched to the deck that was able to hit Retaliates the most consistently: ZekEel. I made a great meta call, and was incredibly consistent throughout the rest of Battle Roads. I really felt like my overall skills as a player peaked at the beginning of this format.

Nationals
#1: 8-4 Top 32 (Zekrom/Eelektrik/Mewtwo-EX/Smeargle/Terrakion)

I knew I had to make Top 8 just to qualify for Worlds at this point, and I fell short, losing to a ZekEel deck that had a heavy Raikou/Max Potion line. It was a bad loss, but even so, I was happy with the run I had at the end of the season with ZekEels.

Overall
Championship Points: 43
ELO: 1825.11
Play Points: 61
Win/Loss Ratio: 101/50
Ranking in North America Masters (CP): 59
Ranking in North America Masters (ELO): 69
Ranking in North America Masters (Play Points): 173

I'm a little worried going into next format because it seems a lot like the HS-NV format we played in 2011 Cities. I really struggled in that format, compared to the other formats this season. However, it's a good opportunity for me to improve on my overall skills as a player. I have two goals:

1. Play better decks! I always feel like the format is one step ahead of me. I'll go into a tournament expecting to play one group of decks and end up playing a completely different group of decks. I need to read the metagame better and make my deck choice accordingly.

2. Focus on overall game strategy. If you took any one turn in a game and looked solely at that turn, without looking ahead at all, chances are I wouldn't have made any misplays. However, I tend to forget to think a few turns ahead in a lot of cases. A lot of players have problems with thinking too far ahead and making mistakes because of it; I have the opposite problem.

If you are so worried about the format at HS-NV, I suggest teching :p

The reason I did so well there is because I actually over-teched and it worked. Anyway, congrats on doing so well as your first year in masters.

Eh, I rarely tech at all. I'm more of a fan of overlapping. Consistency is almost always more important than techs.

Oh god. I love teching. It is the most fun part of building the deck for me. And making it consistent is the best. Maybe because I'm good at it is why I like it. Consistency is okay until you run into the one autoloss matchup that a 2 card tech would fix.

Venosour X, how many top cuts have you made? Unless techs are really easy to play, they really shouldn't be played at all. Stage 2 techs are typically garbage and techs that require other energies are almost always wrong (terrakion is a rare exception). The key to winning major events is constancy. There is no such thing as an autoloss. If you run into an autoloss, you played the wrong deck. In tough matchups, be willing to take more risks gameplay wise. You'll have a higher probability of winning if you do this.

Overall, Kennan, you did very well. Your cities run was highly unfortunate. That format was really determined on your pairings. The game reduced skill to a major RPS game. There were very few reasonable techs that could lead you to victory.

I hope to see your name high up the leader boards in a few months. The new format is fairly bleh IMO, but some decent metagaming can be done. Troll is a VERY strong deck from my experiences. Then again, I'm a soon-to-be Californian, what do I know? Keep up the good work and GL with next format.

Congratulations on your season Celebi23, and thank you for the informative report!

The 2012-2013 season will be the first season that I have ever attempted to play the Pokemon TCG competitively (I'll also be a Masters player). I am really looking forward to it, although I will probably get creamed considering I have a lot to learn! :p

Great season Celebi! First year Masters FTW!

1. Play better decks! I always feel like the format is one step ahead of me. I'll go into a tournament expecting to play one group of decks and end up playing a completely different group of decks. I need to read the metagame better and make my deck choice accordingly.

I agree so much with this it's not even funny :p. I played a lot of decks that I was not comfortable playing this year.

Back