Discussion Cats Post Rotation

Omnipresence of mew combined with zero guzma is really bad. Relying on custom catcher to gust mews up is sketchy. You could build around a salazzle ninetales engine, since you don't need energy to attack, I suppose, but then you have 3 stage 1s and we lose ultra, great and timer ball. You also need a way to switch between your attackers, but board works fine along with switch and tate and liza.

The deck does benefit from other one prize decks mostly biting the dust, since they are its biggest weakness. However, alolan eggs and malamar will stick around, at the very least. More tag teams in format only helps you, obviously.

I'd say it's a bit early to say but I'm not imagining it will be super strong unless mew usage drops.

Omnipresence of mew combined with zero guzma is really bad. Relying on custom catcher to gust mews up is sketchy. You could build around a salazzle ninetales engine, since you don't need energy to attack, I suppose, but then you have 3 stage 1s and we lose ultra, great and timer ball. You also need a way to switch between your attackers, but board works fine along with switch and tate and liza.

The deck does benefit from other one prize decks mostly biting the dust, since they are its biggest weakness. However, alolan eggs and malamar will stick around, at the very least. More tag teams in format only helps you, obviously.

I'd say it's a bit early to say but I'm not imagining it will be super strong unless mew usage drops.

I agree with you that Mew + less gust really hurts this deck. Though it does lose guzma, so does the opponent. Not having to worry about Persian being gusted as often is a plus. I've done some tests and noticed Pokecomm and mysterious treasure seem to get the searching done. I really enjoy messing with this deck so hopefully I find something that works.

Everyone loses guzma, but some decks suffer more, this one possibly the most, if you are up against mew because espurr is your big hitter and mew stops it completely. I just threw together a ninetales version of the deck, and sadly realized there won't be a 60 hp salandit which hurts the synergy with elm/comm that cats is going to have to run. It surprisingly worked fairly well, but I had no room to increase damage output over the default 60 that litten hits, which is the other problem the deck has (even meowstic only hits 70)

The best caturday I've seen so far is zapcats shown off here:
(I'm the "kanga rewster" who suggested the idea.) Zappy hits 80 so a single shrine tick puts 270 HP tag teams in range of espurr KOs. Instead of ninetales, you could play volkner to search your limited lightning energy and grab a second custom catcher at the right moment to nail that mew. Of course zapdos and jirachi are both comm-only targets, so it might not be viable post rotation and I don't have the cards to test it. Plus you'd need suicune on a u-turn board, another comm or fan club target, to force the tag team back to the bench with no ropes and no guzmas.

Everyone loses guzma, but some decks suffer more, this one possibly the most, if you are up against mew because espurr is your big hitter and mew stops it completely. I just threw together a ninetales version of the deck, and sadly realized there won't be a 60 hp salandit which hurts the synergy with elm/comm that cats is going to have to run. It surprisingly worked fairly well, but I had no room to increase damage output over the default 60 that litten hits, which is the other problem the deck has (even meowstic only hits 70)

The best caturday I've seen so far is zapcats shown off here:
(I'm the "kanga rewster" who suggested the idea.) Zappy hits 80 so a single shrine tick puts 270 HP tag teams in range of espurr KOs. Instead of ninetales, you could play volkner to search your limited lightning energy and grab a second custom catcher at the right moment to nail that mew. Of course zapdos and jirachi are both comm-only targets, so it might not be viable post rotation and I don't have the cards to test it. Plus you'd need suicune on a u-turn board, another comm or fan club target, to force the tag team back to the bench with no ropes and no guzmas.

Couldn't you just use Litten and force them to switch?

Litten only hits 60, which doesn't even set up a reshizard to be finished off by espurr. Some people play incineroar, but that's slow to get going. Espurr and zapdos both share a love of rope and guzma so there is good synergy. Plus zapdos has e-power to help against other one prizers, whereas litten has a stage 2 but even then only hits 90 and trades very poorly. I don't think zapdos is the way to go post rotation due to search issues, but I'm just not sure if there is a really ideal set up attacker. Could be dewgong, I suppose.

Back