• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard CatDog Combo the Second Coming (M Houndoom EX / Pyroar)

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Hello all, This will be my first Deck posting so i hope it looks all nice and Clean and here it is My Mega Houndoom Deck.

Pokemon (15)
  • 3-3 Houndoom EX (Breakthrough)
  • 2-2 Pyroar Line (Flashfire)
  • 2 Entie Non AT (Ancient Origins)
  • 1-1 Octillery Line (Breakthrough)
  • 1 Shaymin EX (Roaring Skies)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums (35)
  • 3 Scorched Earth
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Houndoom Spirit Link
  • 2 Battle Compressor
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 2 Muscle Band
  • 3 Trainers' Mail
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 Judge
  • 2 Giovanni's Schemes
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 3 Blacksmith
  • 1 Bridgette
Energy (10)
  • 4 Burning Energy
  • 6 Fire Energy
Battle Plan:

So the main goal of this deck is to power up Mega Houndoom as fast as possible with blacksmith as well as stocking Burn energy on to a reserve Houndoom or one on a Pyroar to prevent decks like Tank/Reg/Plume or Toad/Tina decks from beating me senseless. Entie is good as a non ex attacker that does damage based on the opponents bench 20+ 20 for each to be exact. This is kind of a rouge choice but i feel that hitting a Mega ray for 220 damage(muscle band with Giovanni) could be very strong and satisfying. as for the Giovanni other purpose its mostly to do the extra 20 to Basic EX Pokemon as well as draw support as needed.

Side Note:
I know some might tell me to run bats with this deck and yes i know it could be better but right now i like this idea as Pyroar i imagine is somewhat unexpected and can really hurt decks like night march and toad/Tina. Also as well I have considered one copy of silent lab as well but am not sold on it

Please give honest answers as I would yours of course Humor is appreciated as well.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
First of all, you might this Houndoom discussion (in TCG Competitive Play) of interest: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/the-blazing-hellhound-m-houndoom-ex-discussion.126551/

Secondly, IMO, Pyroar (which is somewhat "expected" now since one of my Poké pals just won a LC with it...) is really not that strong since Mega evolution Pokémon can easily 1HKO it.. In addition, decks running Hex Maniac (quite popular since fall Regionals) can completely nullify Intimidating Mane.

From my experience, a 1-1 line of a critical deck component (i.e., Octillery for card-draw support) is quite inconsistent. I'd suggest a 2-2 line.

Following are some suggested deck changes for your consideration:

-2 Pyroar
-2 Litleo
-2 Battle Compressor - The 2 Battle Compressor seem "excessive" to me given the 3 Scorched Earth, 4 Professor Sycamore, and 4 Ultra Balls.
-1 Trainer's Mail - 2 should be sufficient, IMO

+1 Remoraid
+1 Octillery
+1 Entei (AOR 15) - another potential starting Pokémon
+1 Professor Letter - helps search and get needed R energy
+1 Energy Retrieval - helps recover R energy from discard pile for reuse (e.g., Scorched Earth)
+1 AZ - to recover wounded Pokémon (prize denial) or Shaymin EX for reuse
+1 Muscle Band - extra damage output

Lastly, any thoughts about using Shrine of Memories Stadium too?

I hope you find these comments helpful.

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I'll agree with Tuxedoblack on removing the Pyroar line and adding 1/1 Octillery. The additional two spaces you could put in Tool Retriever so you can actually use the Muscle Bands once you've Mega Evolved. Brigette I don't think has a place here because its either 1 EX or up to 3 non-EX basic Pokemon. For what this deck needs, that is too weak of a Supporter. I'd change it to either a third Giovanni's Scheme because it gets you another opportunity to hit 180 damage or Silent Lab which will allow you to get around Giratina EX's ability and block opposing Shaymin EX. If you choose the Giovanni's Scheme route, you might consider dropping one Scorched Earth for Silent Lab because of how important Silent Lab can be.

Side Note:
I know some might tell me to run bats with this deck and yes i know it could be better but right now i like this idea as Pyroar i imagine is somewhat unexpected and can really hurt decks like night march and toad/Tina. Also as well I have considered one copy of silent lab as well but am not sold on it

I disagree with running bats in this deck. It takes up a lot of space that could otherwise be used to speed up the deck. It also adds non-ideal starting Pokemon. I would strongly consider putting in Silent Lab.

Lastly, any thoughts about using Shrine of Memories Stadium too?

I wouldn't really recommend it because the idea of this build is to overwhelm your opponent with damage. Regular Houndoom EX can only hit for 50 before any modifiers. There will be certain match-ups that are unfavorable and it really doesn't do anything to stop them.

-2/-2 Pyroar
+1/+1 Octillery
-1 Bridgette
+2 Tool Retriever
+1 Giovanni's Scheme

awesomeMSG

Just a guy who wants to master Greninja BREAK
I would suggest taking out the non AT entei. All that can do is look at your cards and do some damage using your opponents bench. Also I'm not a big fan of judge. I would rather play Ace Trainer (If this deck seems slow) or Shauna. I also wouldn't put shaymin and octillery in the same deck. If your opponent plays parallel city you could potentially only have 1 extra spots if you use both shaymin and octillery. Overall this is your deck so these are just some ideas to add.

EDIT: also no switching cards?