Collecting Card storage and protection

Discussion in 'Pokémon Trading Card Game' started by Grandneos12, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Grandneos12 Aspiring Trainer
    Grandneos12

Hi. I’m new to collecting and am wondering what the best way to store and protect cards is? Especially rare and valuable ones. I’ve seen so many different things like penny sleeves + top loaders or deck protectors + binders. Are things like team bags good? Im not interested in playing the actual game just want to collect and protect my cards. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, does anyone know which series contain Raichu? Collecting them is my no1 priority.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019

2. Lucky Dan Aspiring Trainer
    Lucky Dan

Advanced Member Member

I personally just use UltraPro sleeves and sheets for my sets. I use the trainer decks for bulk storage. I'm recently returned to the game with my son after a 20 year hiatus, so I'm sure I am not doing what is "best".

For Raichu: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Raichu_(TCG)

3. PokeMedic Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
    PokeMedic

Articles Staff Activities Staff Member

A lot of folks use decent sleeves to shield the card before they insert it into an acid-free binder sheet or portfolio. Since your collecting that would be the nicest option for you, unless you're not interested in having every single card protected like that.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  4. Cody Pedigo Aspiring Trainer
    Cody Pedigo

I prefer legion dragon hide binder, dex protection, or ultra pro binders. They are all side loaders. Permanent pages though. But great protection
    Depending on how much protection you want, I double sleeve some of mine in inner sleeves smoke dragon shields and clear dragon shield mattes. I am considering to switching the clears out for the element color of pokemon.

5. Lucky Dan Aspiring Trainer
    Lucky Dan

Advanced Member Member

What's the advantage of a side loader vs a top loader card sheet?

6. Cody Pedigo Aspiring Trainer
    Cody Pedigo

Well in my experience, I feel like they are more secure. I also just like them more. I think they are nicer.

7. snoopy369 Aspiring Trainer
    snoopy369

Advanced Member Member

Top loaders can have the cards fall out very easily. Side loaders they always put the outsidemost cards with the 'hole' facing in, i.e.

[ [ ] .. [ ] ]

where .. is the middle of the binder. That makes it the least likely for cards to fall out; top loaders, cards fall out the top if the binder is inverted - with adults this isn't a huge deal but with kids in particular it's a _very_ common occurrence.

8. MichaelHelps Aspiring Trainer
    MichaelHelps

I know I am late to the party but this immediately came to my mind, when you said you want to collect Raichu ;)

I generally recommend you store high value cards in both inner & outer sleeves (Pokemon cards are standard size: 66 x 91 mm) and organize them in albums.

The casual albums from Gamegenic come in different colors and are very much affordable (see picture). They also have sleeves and Zip-Up or Ring-Binder options made with much finer materials, if you want to go for a more premium option. All of this will be coming out in stores worldwide on March 13 (March 11 in EU).

[​IMG]

9. owhl Aspiring Trainer
    owhl

For storage -
    begin with penny sleeve (non-acid, pvc free) using microfiber gloves to avoid oil damage
    Place penny sleeved card in a top loader for structure and anti-curling
    Seal [toploader(penny sleeve)] combo upside down in a single team bag to seal the combo from dust
    Reinforce team bag seal with a small label (archival quality)
    once card is catalogued, graded (my own standards) and priced (need price for insurance) it goes into a white cardboard card archival box for UV protection
    Packets of Silica are put in each box - 10g of color changing indicator bead packs - to control moisture
    Storage box tops are then taped up, marked with last open dates and stored in a closet
    Storage process should cover the protection of: edges, corners, surface, general wear, holographic foil condition, cardboard curling and cardboard peeling.

FourteenAlmonds likes this.
  10. FourteenAlmonds NTernetttt ERXploerer
    FourteenAlmonds

That really sounds like professional-grade protection lol. Are you trying to invest in cards and resell them in a couple of decades or what?

11. owhl Aspiring Trainer
    owhl

If done right, yes - long term invest into this collectible which may inevitably land into my kids lap when he is much older. Until then, all time and effort goes into protecting sheets of card stock from sunlight, curling, humidity, mold, etc. To the point where your supplies graduate from Ultra Pro products to university grade archival standards. If only I had the room for a pressure/humidity chamber like that of museums.

FourteenAlmonds likes this.

Viewing Now: 0 Members + 0 Guests

There are no registered members viewing this forum. Why not register here and start a discussion?