Card Sleeve Discussion

I just bought a FF trainer box that comes with mega lucario sleeves, I can't wait to play with them! My Xerneas sleeves from an XY trainer box stick a bit, I'm hoping the mega lucario sleeves hold up better.

How many sleeves did you get and what is the quality of the sleeves? Are the better than Ultra Pro or worse?:)

I'd assume the same as the Plasma Blast and X/Y ones. So 65 Sleeves, and at least somewhat better quality than patterned Ultra Pros. (Probably comparable to non-patterned ones.)

Oh man sounds like they will be good ones. Not sure if I could get them by retail but I prefer Ultra Pro anyways. Thanks XD.:)

Personally I'm a fan of Japanese Pokemon sleeves. This is partially because I'm a sucker for the pretty artwork, but they also tend to be high quality. I have had the worst of luck with both Ultra-Pro sleeves as well as the ones that come in the Elite Trainer Boxes. These tend to rip and ding easily for me, but perhaps it can be blamed on the fact that I'm not the gentlest of shufflers. I've had the best luck in keeping the Japanese sleeves intact, as well as Dragon Shields. Both of these are on the expensive end of the spectrum, but you will get your money's worth out of them.

Which brand has glossy sleeves? I received a glossy royal blue sleeve with a card I bought, and like it alot more than the Ultro Pro Pro-Matte sleeves I have been using. I asked the seller, but he didn't want to tell me what brand he used, I guess.

Might be a Dragon Shield. Although they sell regular transparent sleeves, they're most known for their coloured sleeves which have a glossy clear front and a solid, metallic-looking back. Many companies sell glossy sleeves, though.

What are the most cost effective sleeves that would have least trouble fitting into a side loading binder page? My original choice was Ultra Pro Deck Protectors because a collector who I follow on Youtube uses those, but it would cost me somewhere in the range of $80 to replace all of the cheap penny sleeves in my collection. How do the Ultra Pro Premium or Pro-Fit sleeves fit into side loading binders? Especially if I turn the card upside down when I load them into the sleeves?

Athena said:
Might be a Dragon Shield. Although they sell regular transparent sleeves, they're most known for their coloured sleeves which have a glossy clear front and a solid, metallic-looking back. Many companies sell glossy sleeves, though.
I don't think so, because I was watching a card sleeve review on YouTube, and the Dragon Shield sleeves that were shown looked metallic (like you mentioned). This one I received only has the glossy effect. From what I've seen, it might be a KMC sleeve.

Oh, so UP has glossy ones too? I'll look into it :3

Frost said:
What are the most cost effective sleeves that would have least trouble fitting into a side loading binder page? My original choice was Ultra Pro Deck Protectors because a collector who I follow on Youtube uses those, but it would cost me somewhere in the range of $80 to replace all of the cheap penny sleeves in my collection. How do the Ultra Pro Premium or Pro-Fit sleeves fit into side loading binders? Especially if I turn the card upside down when I load them into the sleeves?

Both should fit, although Pro-Fits will slide in more easily.

I'm planning on getting the Yveltal starter deck (since my friend is getting Xerneas), and was wondering which these two sleeves would be best to get. One is apparently from Japan, the other one comes from the Elite Trainer Box. Anyone has experience with either of them?

Yveltal_sleeves.jpg

What is the difference between their sleeves and our sleeves? Do they use a better textured Mylar? I know ours is Mylar of some kind XD.:)

EDIT: The type of plastic they use to make the sleeves.:)

Hello, this is Carpey (Again? Not sure if I've posted here before). I just wanted to share some sleeves I found and that I think should be on everyone's Fighting type decks. Sadly they are probably not legal for tournament play because the solid border isn't thick all around due to a little spot of art in the lower left side of the sleeve. The sleeves take a little breaking-in and are really glossy with a reflective silver color on the front (Well, the side you see your cards in). The clear plastic is actually really clear and it almost looks like the card is not even in a sleeve.
VHrZIuM.jpg

I noticed at my league that they tend to draw a bit more attention to you than usual sleeves, so make of that what you will.

xxashxx said:
How many sleeves did you get and what is the quality of the sleeves? Are the better than Ultra Pro or worse?:)

I don't feel like they're as good as ultra pro's as far as ease of shuffling but they are good quality! They protect the cards well and hold up to abuse but the only downside is that they "stick" after a while. Ultra pro's (at least in my experience) take a long time to start sticking, and even then they still shuffle. I have 10+ year old red ultra pro's that I use for experimental decks and they are still in great shape but they stick especially if it's humid out.

The ff trainer kit sleeves seem to be holding up well so far! Not sticking yet and great to shuffle and play with. Plus they look awesome! Overall I would say they are a little better than the xy sleeves but not as good as ultra pro's.

RiverShock said:
I'd assume the same as the Plasma Blast and X/Y ones. So 65 Sleeves, and at least somewhat better quality than patterned Ultra Pros. (Probably comparable to non-patterned ones.)

Yeah they come with 65 sleeves, which to me is perfect because you don't have tons of empty sleeves lying around but still have some leftovers for making small deck changes :)

Milennin said:
I'm planning on getting the Yveltal starter deck (since my friend is getting Xerneas), and was wondering which these two sleeves would be best to get. One is apparently from Japan, the other one comes from the Elite Trainer Box. Anyone has experience with either of them?

Yveltal_sleeves.jpg

While the Yveltel sleeves from the trainer kit look better in my opinion, I would also suggest the japanese sleeves if you're looking for quality. I have the Xerneas sleeves from the same set as the right picture in your post and they started sticking pretty quickly. The ff trainer sleeves I have are holding up so far though; it's basically a crap shoot I think lol. You can't for wrong with the Japanese sleeves!

Ok sounds like they are good for collecting the cards at most. I think Ultra Pro has the best quality in card sleeves as well as card holders too. They have lasted for years XD.:)

http://www.trollandtoad.com/p1047897.html
Without a doubt the best sleeves out there.

All joking aside, Pro-Mattes are the best for a deck. None of mine have ever ripped.

Wigglytuff said:

All joking aside, Pro-Mattes are the best for a deck. None of mine have ever ripped.

Haha do you actually have those sleeves? If so how are they?

I love how pro mattes shuffle they really are the best for playing.

xxashxx said:
Ok sounds like they are good for collecting the cards at most. I think Ultra Pro has the best quality in card sleeves as well as card holders too. They have lasted for years XD.:)

Yeah they are great for collecting and decent for playing haha. It's a shame they don't hold up like the other brands because the design on the backs are always so nice.

Hi all!

First post (new member) thought I'd share what I use. I just got back into pokemon after those young childhood memory LOL

This is what I do...
1. Put all pokemon cards in ultra pro matte sleeves light blue (favourite colour). Not fussed about the holo logo ultra pro :p but the dam sleeves are the best I used so far!
2. I then put all these and store them in xy trainer boxes

Anybody here use the tins for storage? Thinking might ditch the boxes and go for the tin?!?!

I use tins for storing bulk, but they're kind of awkwardly shaped to be very effective. Mostly I just use them because I have them and they look nice.

Ocho said:
Wigglytuff said:

Haha do you actually have those sleeves? If so how are they?

I love how pro mattes shuffle they really are the best for playing.

xxashxx said:

Yeah they are great for collecting and decent for playing haha. It's a shame they don't hold up like the other brands because the design on the backs are always so nice.

I don't have them, but I really REALLY want them

Frost said:
May I ask WHY you turn them upside-down? A lot of people do and I don't get it. All it does is let the card fall out easier.

Back