Card Sleeve Discussion

Norava said:
If you plan on sleeving for card pages, then I highly recommend KMC Perfect Size sleeves. They're a bit pricier than penny sleeves, but they're well worth the investment and the name doesn't lie: they perfectly fit the cards and won't make your pages oddly bulky like penny sleeves would. Not only that, but you can also double sleeve them with KMC Super sleeves if you really want to. (Which I don't think is necessary if you don't plan on playing with the cards)

I think I'm only going to put a sleeve on the top row of cards and a sleeve on my rares, holos, etc..
No need to sleeve every single card, especially if they're going to be in high quality pages (I've never heard a complaint about UP Platinum before, and I never had a problem with Silver). The sleeves will be put on upside-down, then into the page.

And...
omahanime said:
How many cards in your collection? If your collection is small, expensive sleeves are one thing, but once it gets to a bigger size, your sleeves need to be cost effective.

EXAMPLE:
100 cards, double sleeved @ $5 per pack of 100 = $10
10000 cards, double sleeved @ $5 per pack of 100 = $1000

... this is certainly a great way to look at it. I can't even imagine spending $8-10/100 DS now.
After (actually) thinking today, double sleeving is probably/definitely overkill.

So yeah, just going to get some KMC perfect fits and call it good.

Thanks everyone! :)

Frost Mage said:
Norava said:
If you plan on sleeving for card pages, then I highly recommend KMC Perfect Size sleeves. They're a bit pricier than penny sleeves, but they're well worth the investment and the name doesn't lie: they perfectly fit the cards and won't make your pages oddly bulky like penny sleeves would. Not only that, but you can also double sleeve them with KMC Super sleeves if you really want to. (Which I don't think is necessary if you don't plan on playing with the cards)

Side note, well I've never used the Super Sleeves rom KMC, I have heard that the Matte ones are much better.

Mattes are better in general, yes, but nothing works better than Supers when it comes to double-sleeving.

beebahboo said:
... this is certainly a great way to look at it. I can't even imagine spending $8-10/100 DS now.
After (actually) thinking today, double sleeving is probably/definitely overkill.

So yeah, just going to get some KMC perfect fits and call it good.

I have been using Ultra Pro for over 14 years with no problems. http://www.ultrapro.com/product_info.php?products_id=632

omahanime said:
I have been using Ultra Pro for over 14 years with no problems. http://www.ultrapro.com/product_info.php?products_id=632

I would assume they both fit the same...?
I just ordered some KMC, but after seeing the $2 price on the UPs, I'll probably be getting those next time.

beebahboo said:
omahanime said:

I would assume they both fit the same...?
I just ordered some KMC, but after seeing the $2 price on the UPs, I'll probably be getting those next time.

Check your local card stores, they might have discounts.

omahanime said:
Check your local card stores, they might have discounts.

There is one local card shop here that sells stuff like that.
As much as I'd love to support my local shop, I refuse to support the owner. The first time I went in there and asked about Japanese Pokemon cards, he gave me an attitude and said, "yeah, that's really frowned upon in the yugioh community." Proceeded to buy my little brother some cards. Dude just "tosses" them across the counter at me, along with my debit card. Haven't been back since. Pretty lame deal. :/

AmiAmi used to sell the KMC's for about a buck a pack. I've got a few packs left, but it seems they no longer sell them. They do have almost every other KMC product though. I really like their perfect fit sleeves <3

Be careful with some Japanese perfect fit sleeves. I have received cards the only way to remove from the sleeve was to cut the sleeve off.

I sleeve Japanese cards with Japanese sleeves :p
I haven't had any tight or bad sleeves yet, not with KMC or UP. I do still use the UP penny sleeves for my extra holos.

beebahboo said:
I'm purely a collector,
So as of now I'm planning on getting Dragon Shield sleeves.

I was purely a collector for a long time til I started with pre release tournaments

What I like to do is to use Dragon Shield for collection due the extra space and very nice fitting to the card, makes it not slide out. Then I set them in a Ultra Pro, Pro-Binder

For playing I use Ultra Pro, Deck Protector Sleeves, I feel most comfortable with these ones for shuffling n' playing.

As a player, I use ULTRA-PRO sleeves as well as POP sleeves. ULTRA-PRO more than POP though. Ultra-Pro sleeves are durable, cheap, and keep my cards clean and blemish free. On a side note, I've been using black sleeves for about a year now and am kinda getting tired of the color. I'm thinking about switching to Red, White or Blue sleeves 'cause I like the look of them and well, cause 'Murica. Which color sleeve is least see through? I don't want the backs of the actual cards showing through my sleeves when I'm playing. What would you guys recommend?

From a player's standpoint, KMC's are so worth the extra couple of bucks. They're just made of higher quality plastic and seem to be a lot more resilient. :)

So I have a question about my KMC Matte sleeves. Both my blue and red sleeves seem to have become wavy on the top, and I don't like the way they look. This hasn't happened with other sleeves I've used, and I really want to continue using KMCs because they seem very high quality, but I was wondering, does this happen to other sleeves?

I use two sets of Supers; one is single sleeved, the other is double sleeved. Both show no signs of waviness.

I feel like I would prefer Matte sleeves after using Ultra Pros and not being all too fond of the glossy backs of them, but what's your opinion on which is better? The edges on my Mattes are all bent, some more than others.

Mattes are better if you can keep them clean as possible (always playing on a clean mat, handling them with clean hands, etc.) I'm just using Supers at the moment since they're the best for double-sleeving

Went back to Dragon Shields. For the most part they're great, but I'm finding myself replacing a lot of sleeves that have whiteness on the edges. However, it seems like eventually that goes away by shuffling, it seems.

On another note, the guy that runs my league often does something that bugs me. Whenever someone new to Pokemon comes in without sleeves, he tells them to buy 100 penny sleeves for a dollar. This is for playing mind you. It's just a terrible idea to play with penny sleeves, they give no protection. When I told that to him, he said, "Well, if you replace them every 3 months, they'll be fine." Umm... No. There's literally no protection when you put penny sleeves on your cards. People should not be told to use penny sleeves to play. I don't care if you get the cheap Ultra-Pro ones that are $3.50 a pack, spend the couple extra dollars to make sure your cards don't explode from wear.

Back