Card Sleeve Discussion

Perfect fit sleeves make it hard to get the card in and out and you can't put cards back to back if you are collecting cards. The cards are so tight that the cards can easy rip if you decide to remove them from the sleeve. Those are the wost type of sleeve you can buy.:) Sadly.:(

Perfect Fit sleeves are primarily used for collectors or even players looking to add an extra layer of protection to their cards. Their tight fit is excellent for keeping out moisture and dust, which standard sleeves cannot do to nearly the same effect. The only major disadvantage is that they do not protect against scratches as well.

They also enable one to "double sleeve" by applying a perfect fit-sleeve to a card with the opening at the bottom of the card, and then a regular sleeve with the opening at the top of the card. This practice offers yet better protection against dust and moisture, and can even keep out fairly large volumes of fluids (say, for example, you're at league and someone spills their drink on your deck. Double-sleeving may save your expensive Virizions and Genesects).

Generally speaking, unless you're a serious player or collector, it's not necessary to use perfect-fit sleeves. However, if you would like to provide your cards with the greatest protection, they are part of the solution.

Also, don't put any somewhat valuable cards back-to-back in sleeves. That comes with a large risk of scratching them, even if it's just the back of them.

I just collect. What I do is put the card in the KMC perfect size, and then it goes straight into the open space in a 9 pocket page. I do not double up cards in a single sleeve, and I don't double them in a page. Auride, I'm curious as to how they don't protect against scratches, as I have some pretty good cards in them.

Slowbro Master said:
I just collect. What I do is put the card in the KMC perfect size, and then it goes straight into the open space in a 9 pocket page. I do not double up cards in a single sleeve, and I don't double them in a page. Auride, I'm curious as to how they don't protect against scratches, as I have some pretty good cards in them.

I meant that they don't protect against scratches as well as regular sleeves. Since they're thinner, and tighter to the surface of the card, it doesn't take as sharp of an impact to cause a dent or scratch. This is why you should never use perfect fit sleeves alone when playing with cards. Additionally, if any dust gets on a card or sleeve before the sleeve is applied, the particles will be more tightly rubbed across the surface of the card, resulting in scratches.

They're still fairly strong protection, and for cards kept in a binder, you're not particularly concerned with scratches anyways. Your more immediate concerns are probably warping and moisture damage, which is where perfect fit sleeves shine the most.

Which sleeves are the best for playing in tourneys with them with the cards still containing NM condition?

Phantom Forces Elite Trainer box Sleeves

or

http://www.collectorscache.com/storemodules/ProductImages/1010/JapanXY4sleeves.jpg

?

Both sleeves are likely of relatively similar quality, but I would probably bet on the Japanese sleeves being marginally better, if for no reason other than TPCi having generally lower quality products compared to TPC Japan.

That said, and has been discussed above, I would recommend double-sleeving your cards with perfect fit sleeves anyways if you are particularly concerned with the value of the cards.

Alright thanks. I am not that concerned on having the cards in perfect condition. I don't want to double sleeve :p

Auride said:
Perfect Fit sleeves are primarily used for collectors or even players looking to add an extra layer of protection to their cards. Their tight fit is excellent for keeping out moisture and dust, which standard sleeves cannot do to nearly the same effect. The only major disadvantage is that they do not protect against scratches as well.

They also enable one to "double sleeve" by applying a perfect fit-sleeve to a card with the opening at the bottom of the card, and then a regular sleeve with the opening at the top of the card. This practice offers yet better protection against dust and moisture, and can even keep out fairly large volumes of fluids (say, for example, you're at league and someone spills their drink on your deck. Double-sleeving may save your expensive Virizions and Genesects).

Generally speaking, unless you're a serious player or collector, it's not necessary to use perfect-fit sleeves. However, if you would like to provide your cards with the greatest protection, they are part of the solution.

Also, don't put any somewhat valuable cards back-to-back in sleeves. That comes with a large risk of scratching them, even if it's just the back of them.

How do the cards scratch if it is 2 cards with sleeves on them? I only use sleeves on my rares and reverse holos but not 2 cards in the same sleeve.:)

xxashxx said:
How do the cards scratch if it is 2 cards with sleeves on them? I only use sleeves on my rares and reverse holos but not 2 cards in the same sleeve.

Minor miscommunication. Putting two cards that are already in sleeves back-to-back in another sleeve or pocket in a binder sheet is generally fine, other than perhaps stretching out that outer sleeve a bit.

What's dangerous is putting to cards directly in contact within the same sleeve. Because the surfaces of cards are not necessarily perfectly smooth, the act of those cards subtly rubbing against each other can cause small, but noticeable scratches.

Hi all, I'm sort of new to this. Which card sleeves should I use to put inside a 9 pocket binder page? Just for collection. I do not plan on playing around with the cards.

Standard playing sleeves (the kind that usually have the colored backs) will fit in most pocket binder sleeves. Since you're not playing, I might recommend using a cheaper brand such as Ultra-Pro (they still make very good sleeves, but to many players they are often considered to be not as good as brands like KMC or Dragon Shield). You should probably sample a few different varieties of all three just to get an idea of the difference, but if you can't afford to buy too many sleeves at the moment, Ultra Pro is a good starting point. You can also use perfect fit sleeves (read the discussion above for more info), or a combination of both.

And make sure to put the cards in the sleeves with the opening towards the bottom of the card, so that it is more difficult for dust and moisture to reach the card.

I took a around. I'll probably just use a single sleeve. I'm leaning towards either the Colored Ultra Pro Sleeves or the KMC. I have no idea what's the difference between KMC Hyper Matte, Matte and Super Series.

Would the KMC Perfect fit (89mm height) and KMC Hyper Matte (91mm height) be too short and the card sticks out?

Also, can I fit two of these sleeves with card into a single slot of a 9 pocket page?

If you just plan on collecting, KMC perfect fits are the best. They're far better than other perfect fit sleeves--the cards fit snugly into place, not too tight or too loose. KMC Hyper Mat or any other playing sleeve is excessive for collecting (unless you're storing REALLY expensive cards that if they get a speck of dust on them lowers their price)--and perfect fits on their own look better in a binder anyway. The only downside to KMC perfect fits are price, but they aren't THAT expensive and if you want the best way to store and protect your cards, this is it. If price is too big of an issue, most brands of penny sleeves are slim enough to fit in 9-pocket binder pages, but I wouldn't recommend it over the KMC.

Auride said:
xxashxx said:
How do the cards scratch if it is 2 cards with sleeves on them? I only use sleeves on my rares and reverse holos but not 2 cards in the same sleeve.

Minor miscommunication. Putting two cards that are already in sleeves back-to-back in another sleeve or pocket in a binder sheet is generally fine, other than perhaps stretching out that outer sleeve a bit.

What's dangerous is putting to cards directly in contact within the same sleeve. Because the surfaces of cards are not necessarily perfectly smooth, the act of those cards subtly rubbing against each other can cause small, but noticeable scratches.

Oh yeah that is typical but I never do that anyway. I only do it in the pages but If 2 cards are both in sleeves in a binder I will do that though.:)

Blah said:
If you just plan on collecting, KMC perfect fits are the best. They're far better than other perfect fit sleeves--the cards fit snugly into place, not too tight or too loose. KMC Hyper Mat or any other playing sleeve is excessive for collecting (unless you're storing REALLY expensive cards that if they get a speck of dust on them lowers their price)--and perfect fits on their own look better in a binder anyway. The only downside to KMC perfect fits are price, but they aren't THAT expensive and if you want the best way to store and protect your cards, this is it. If price is too big of an issue, most brands of penny sleeves are slim enough to fit in 9-pocket binder pages, but I wouldn't recommend it over the KMC.

Thanks for the info.

Anyone know where I can get the KMC perfect fit for a low price?

The ones I buy are $2.29 online per pack of 100 sleeves. They used to be 99 cents for the same packages I have always gotten. They are Ultra Pro clear standard sleeves.:)

frozened said:
Thanks for the info.

I buy mine from amiami but that's because they are so expensive in sweden xD
So it's cheaper to ship from japan :D

frozened said:

I generally get mine off of either Amazon or eBay. Both tend to have rather similar prices, but comparing one to their other can net you a somewhat better deal. They tend to be ~$5 USD per pack of 100.

adam44 said:
frozened said:
Thanks for the info.

I buy mine from amiami but that's because they are so expensive in sweden xD
So it's cheaper to ship from japan :D

What was the weight of the package or shipping cost? They told me that it was 300g per pack. If I were to get like 10 packs, it would be 3kg, which didn't sound right to me.

Why does the weight of a pack matter? I never heard of this before. The reason I am asking is because every pack has a random set of cards. No one knows until they are opened to what Pokemon you get. Or are you talking about just the sleeves? That is why I am confused?:(

Back