Card Sleeve Discussion

When you put the sleeved card into the page, there's no longer that opening on the top for dust, dirt or humidity to get into the sleeve and damage the card. Without having binder pages in the equation I agree that there's zero point in doing it.

Yeah it is hard to find anything with good quality nowadays. They used to put quality first. Now they go for the profit first and they use less time to produce which means poor quality and they fall apart sooner rather than later. It is a shame on how they do things now. Just like with the TCG for instance. They used to have really good quality cards with a few errors here and there but now the quality has dropped and there are more errors than ever before.:)

Frost said:
When you put the sleeved card into the page, there's no longer that opening on the top for dust, dirt or humidity to get into the sleeve and damage the card. Without having binder pages in the equation I agree that there's zero point in doing it.

Humidity will still get in because it is not sealed off from the atmosphere.

Oh yeah any type of heat will destroy your cards. Especially Sunlight. That does the worst damage outside of flames of course. Sun lightens the ink and distorts the card and makes it lighter than normal. Humidity causes condensation to form and leaves water blots on the card. It is best to keep your cards in a cool dry place and in a 3 ring binder of course and make sure your rare cards are in sleeves. This includes reverse holos of anylevel. Reverse holos are all rare on every level of rarity so use your sleeves for those types of cards. Don't waste them on non holos unless the non holo is a star rare. If it is not don't sleeve it XD.:)

omahanime said:
Frost said:

And once in, it may not decrease quickly due to lack of air flow.

Familiar said:
omahanime said:

And once in, it may not decrease quickly due to lack of air flow.

That's a good point, I also keep my collection in my living room since it's the most climate-controlled room in my house :)

So after around 6 months of playing with both ultra pro pro-matte sleeves and ultra pro standard sleeves, the pro matte finished sleeves are hands down my favorite. They shuffle so well and are very easy to handle.

My furious fist trainer sleeves are still holding up well too!

Actually do you have binders with zippers? I have one with a zipper on it and it keeps my cards well and in good shape. That is where I store all my sleeves and the packets that hold them. This way nothing ever gets wet and they are up on my shelf pretty high so nothing can damage the cards.:)

xxashxx said:
Actually do you have binders with zippers? I have one with a zipper on it and it keeps my cards well and in good shape. That is where I store all my sleeves and the packets that hold them. This way nothing ever gets wet and they are up on my shelf pretty high so nothing can damage the cards.:)

I don't have binders with zippers right now but thanks for the recomendation! I will give them a shot it seems like a really good idea!

What I've started doing to my better cards or ultra rares I happen to pull is sleeve em like 3 times. First is a normal sleeve, like an Ultra Pro Matte, then put that upside down into a penny sleeve. After that is either sticking it in my binder or top loader depending on what I plan to do with the card. I believe this should work pretty well, but I guess I'm going to have to wait 10 years to see what happens to the cards...

Ocho said:
xxashxx said:

I don't have binders with zippers right now but thanks for the recomendation! I will give them a shot it seems like a really good idea!

Sadly I used to have 5 but when we moved I had to box those up so now I have only one for half my cards. If you put your holders in right you can get a full box of 100 pages in the binder. The trick is. While your rings are open put 50 pages on the left side and 50 pages in on the right side then close in the center once all your pages are in the rings. If you only do one side it will not work. Just hope you plan on not opening your rings if you do this however otherwise you will have a mess of pages everywhere. If you have to open the rings for some reason make sure your pages are 50/50 half on the left and half on the right if you need your rings open to do something otherwise never open your rings ever again LOLz.:)

EDIT: Almost forgot. Make sure you do 18 cards per page rather than 9 cards per page as well as you will only need half as much holders. If you have about 4,000 cards like I do (yeah not kidding) you should have your cards back to back 18 cards per page XD.:)

Is there a database of all the official pokemon sleeves released? basic colours sometimes get boring and I'd like to know what pokemon sleeves are available before I try looking for something that doesn't exist.

I don't think there is an official list but there may be many unofficial lists for this type of thing. Try searching list of Card sleeve types and see what happens.:)

I just picked up these sleeves: http://www.trollandtoad.com/p1047896.html

Will they protect the cards really well and keep them in NM condition? I noticed there is only a little space from the top of sleeve to the top of the card. Are these pretty good sleeves or not really?

As long as everything is covered except the very edge of the top border. There are sleeves that are too low on the top but those are for TCG play but these should be ok if they cover the card completely or cover them up to the top border edge. If they don't get the standard Ultra Pro clear sleeves. I have these and they are a work of art for the TCG collectors out there.:)

Gengar master said:
I just picked up these sleeves: http://www.trollandtoad.com/p1047896.html

Will they protect the cards really well and keep them in NM condition? I noticed there is only a little space from the top of sleeve to the top of the card. Are these pretty good sleeves or not really?

I've seen people use them and they seem to do the job. I personally prefer the small space from card to top of sleeve. However be cautious that while shuffling you may have the sides of the sleeves split (it won't break the sleeve it'll just peel and be super annoying)

If you have splitting issues buy the standard sleeves since they are excellent quality sleeves. None of my sleeves have ever broke ever.:)

Thanks for the help! It's not like I am a reckless shuffler :p

I will be careful of the peeling. Can't wait to use them in Cities!

If you are really worried get a zip loc bag and cut out part of the bag to the right size of the cards ad use scotch tape to seal up the edges to hold the cards in place. You may need several bags to do this and will take a lot of time and tape but this is the alternative if you want to do this however. Also the card my stick to the tape inside if you don't seal it correctly and is hard to do it perfectly but yeah this is the hard way XD.:)

xxashxx said:
If you are really worried get a zip loc bag and cut out part of the bag to the right size of the cards ad use scotch tape to seal up the edges to hold the cards in place. You may need several bags to do this and will take a lot of time and tape but this is the alternative if you want to do this however. Also the card my stick to the tape inside if you don't seal it correctly and is hard to do it perfectly but yeah this is the hard way XD.:)

Yea thanks. I am not really collecting, just wanted to know if they were good for using in tourneys.

Is there any reason why anybody shouldn't use perfect fit sleeves? Most people I watch open packs on Youtube use deck protector sleeves,

Back