Card condition definition

rev3rsor

目がピアノを弾く
What do most people consider as near-mint (won't ask about mint because none of my cards are), excellent or very good? Specifically, some of my cards have: slight scratches, slight crease at corner, slight whitening on edges, that sort of stuff.

This is my system...

Mint: A perfect card. No scratches, edge wear, bends, or creases.

Near Mint-Mint: A card that has never been played. May have the tiniest defect like one small spot of edge wear or the tiniest scratch.

Good-Excellent: May have some lighter edge wear or scratching. Usually no bends or creases unless stated.

Fair: Can possibly have a crease, scuffing, edge wear, or medium amount of scratching. Perhaps was played a few times.

Poor-Played: Will have more edge wear, heavier scratching/scuffing, or perhaps a larger crease/bend.

I grade pretty harshly though...

The PokéBeach Trading Corner condition guide

Shakespeare said:
Mint - Lightly handled, no imperfections, dings, or wear. May have been traded once or twice. The card seems to have been in a sleeve and toploader most of the time since it was pulled from a pack. Image may be slightly off center.

Near Mint - A minor factory imperfection or scratch on the card. No other signs of wear or damage. Very light edge wear may be evident.

Good - A few light scratches from being decked or minor imperfections. No other signs of wear or damage. Whiting on edges of card little more pronounced.

Fair - Edges worn more, small area may be peeling at a corner. Many surface scratches or a medium imperfection.

Poor - Heavy damage to the edges. More than one area of peeling on corners or sides holofoil cards will have areas of scratches showing foil underneath. Card with crease like it has been in a back pocket fall into this class.

Bad - Any card with the above defects but also may a heavy crease or fold in the card. This kind of card is barely readable and maybe only good for putting in a bicycle spokes. Could have been in bicycle spokes!

Untradeable - Cards that have been bent, ripped, torn, through the washer or similar. Cards with the text worn off and fake cards also fit under this rating. Incomplete cards in any shape fall in this class.

I'll assume that almost everyone would only want mint/near-mint cards, so unfortunately most of my cards fall into 'good' due to not having sleeves a few years back when I collected a bit :( Anyway thanks for the help everyone.

Lemonnade said:
I'll assume that almost everyone would only want mint/near-mint cards,

For collections.

Lemonnade said:
unfortunately most of my cards fall into 'good' due to not having sleeves a few years back when I collected a bit :

That is fine for playing or for people that really want that card.

omahanime said:
That is fine for playing or for people that really want that card.

I agree, some people don't mind buying good/excellent cards as long as the price is reduced correctly.

You could always try selling in groups and sets because it's more appealing to buyers that way.

It some cases traders have different opinions on card conditions for example my mint or near mint could be totally different to some one else.
Just like the grading companies PSA would have to be one of the best grading companies out there, some of these companies are only after money and if you pay them enough they will grade your higher then what it is.

darth stack said:
It some cases traders have different opinions on card conditions for example my mint or near mint could be totally different to some one else.
Just like the grading companies PSA would have to be one of the best grading companies out there, some of these companies are only after money and if you pay them enough they will grade your higher then what it is.

Darth Stack, if you could please refrain from fabricating absurd accusations without any evidence to support your claim, I would be much obliged.

Kasumi said:
darth stack said:

Darth Stack, if you could please refrain from fabricating absurd accusations without any evidence to support your claim, I would be much obliged.

Well I do actually did you see I did not mention who the company was for that reason.
If you want I could almost do a full page of evidence I am just sharing my opinion and experiences I have had over the years.

I'm interested, are you talking about PSA specifically?

I agree with grading scales being different amongst card graders but I've not heard of cards being graded higher than they should be. Then again if you knew somebody who worked there and paid a little extra I wouldn't be surprised if it has happened.

There was this big thing going around in the DBZ CCG about three years ago bekett graded a fake/proxy card.
One of the collector's knows a person from bekett and said that they will grade any thing and even up grade conditions if the trader pays for it.
There was like a full page on it I need to find it again.

Back