Ruling Captivating pokepuff V. Shaymin EX

TheDeckWizard74

I got big beautiful eyes like this flareon
If they play pokepuff and they make me play a shaymin for example can i use its ability?

Nyora

A Cat
No, shaymin says when you put it from your hand onto your bench, in this case, your opponent is doing it, so you cannot activate it.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
I would think you could activate the ability since you are still playing it from your hand but I did notice a card exist that says if you play it from your hand during your turn and Shaymin-EX doesn't say during your turn. I don't remember what card it was that said that. I'd have to look.

My Little Keldeo

Submarine Reflection!
Advanced Member
From the official Rulings Compendium:

Q. If I use Captivating Poke Puff and put one of my opponent's Basic Pokemon on the bench that has an Ability (like Shaymin EX's "Setup"), does the opponent get to use that Ability right away?

A. No, Captivating Poke Puff does not trigger any coming into play Abilities. (Steam Siege FAQ; Aug 4, 2016 TPCi Rules Team)

The Compendium does not give an explanation as to why Captivating Pokepuff does not trigger these sorts of Abilities, however the fact that it is your opponent performing the action of putting the Pokemon into play rather than you does make sense.

uncleyuri

~
A bit off topic but I think this card is under rated. Won't fit into a lot of decks but with Lele and Shaymin popular I can see this card being used with sudowoodo (sp?) as a form of disruption.

akealon

Aspiring Trainer
The way Shaymin reads is: "When *you* play this Pokemon from *your* hand onto your bench,..."

Lele: "When *you* play this Pokemon from *your* hand onto *your* bench during your turn,..."

Most other cards with abilities that trigger on playing have similar wording, or at least include the word(s) "you" or "your" in the ability text. When Puff is used, it is used by your opponent and "you" are not playing the card from your hand to your bench, it is getting pulled from your hand by an external effect. From the playing party perspective, it would be going onto your opponent's bench, not yours, therefore you would not get the benefit of any ability. The only benefit you derive is preventing your opponent from utilizing the ability.