Canadian Nationals 2013 Controversy

Blui

lv85 paladin
So what exactly happened? I know that there were people caught stacking but apparently it was a whole lot bigger, anyone care to fill me in on the details?

Stacking is basically just a manipulation of cards in a deck that is designed to give a person an advantage.

dmaster out.

lol no one has answered Blui's question. :p

I believe the story is that the winner (and a few other high ranking players) were accused of stacking, and the judges only gave them a warning. And all of Canadian Nationals was streamed (by OnTheBubble), so even being able to look at the videos, these players still got away with it. While they weren't giving themselves perfect hands, they were separating the deck into piles of something like 2 Pokemon, 4 Trainers, 2 Energy (just an example), so that they wouldn't draw all of one resource and none of another. After there stacking, the only shuffle they would do is 2 five-pile shuffles, which apparently keeps them separated into these sections.

This is just going off things I've heard. But I believe it's pretty accurate.

That is really low. BUT can't the other player if in suspiscion, raise hand and ask for a judge to shuffle the opponents or both players decks?? If they did do this, they should have been disqualified and gotten a 2 yr ban from tournies for it.

Binx345 said:
That is really low. BUT can't the other player if in suspiscion, raise hand and ask for a judge to shuffle the opponents or both players decks?? If they did do this, they should have been disqualified and gotten a 2 yr ban from tournies for it.

You are allowed to have a judge shuffle there deck. Heck, you can shuffle the deck yourself, and the problem is fixed (until they re-sort the deck). The problem was that people just didn't do that.

While shuffling does fix the problem to an extent, I feel like they really need to either discourage this kind of behavior going forward somehow. Just because an opponent or a judge can un-do stacking, doesn't mean that it should practically be required.

dmaster out.

Might as well break out the full story since I know something about this.

Long story short, as Machamp said, several people were accused of stacking on camera. The main incident was during Top 4 when a player did something similar to double nickeling, which is essentially a shuffling technique that perfectly distributes every card in your deck. The other example was when the champion during one of his top cut matches (forgot which) declumped several cards in his deck and then didn't shuffle properly afterward. Declumping is technically legal as long as you throughly randomize your deck after doing so (which thereby makes declumping an idiotic procedure because if you shuffle enough afterwards, the declumping didn't matter in the first place).

Nothing has happened yet in terms of punishments. Personally, I think that if sufficient evidence is found (the whole thing is on video) that both players should recieve harsh punishments. Cheating is inexcusable in my book, and if you feel the need to cheat, you shouldn't be playing the game. Play the game for real rather than manipulating it to your advantage.

On another note, the judges also made some serious mistakes. This should have been caught IMMEDIATELY. There was also an incident in another top 4 match where a player used Ghetsis and his opponent discarded the items instead of shuffling them into his deck. This happened TWICE and NO ONE noticed, including the two judges who were watching. I don't mean to hate on the judges who clearly devoted a large amount of their time to help out at this event, but that's inexcusable considering it drastically changes the outcome of the game.

Salamencetrainer34 said:
Its been a long time. Its like Luxchomp or something ,in the DP era with the Luxray Lv X
Were are talking about the 2013 incident here...

Back