Ruling Can you play a fossil to your bench on your first turn?

Fossils cant be played on your first turn because they are not real Pokemon but actually can be played as if it were a Pokemon. They can't be played because they are not actual Pokemon so you have to wait until you place down a Pokemon to fight. After that you can put them on your bench and you can switch them in and out of your active Pokemon. Read the txt on the card(s). It is fine print but it tells you how to use the card.:)

Set Up vs. First Turn

Just to be clear... "set up" is different than "first turn"

At the beginning of the game, you can start with a
Fossil as your Active Pokémon. (see "compendium")

In fact, if you have no other basic pokemon in your
hand, you are obligated to start with the fossil.

Hypno68 said:
Just to be clear... "set up" is different than "first turn"

At the beginning of the game, you can start with a
Fossil as your Active Pokémon. (see "compendium")

In fact, if you have no other basic pokemon in your
hand, you are obligated to start with the fossil.

A more literal approach to that is that you can start with a fossil, you just can't put anything on the bench. Your opponent can't prove that you had more pokemon in your hand, so as long as a fossil is the only card you play at the beggining of the game, you are aloud to.

You can still put a fossil as your active pokemon during set-up and still place pokemon on your bench.

The underlined/bolded statement below is incorrect...

dragonexpert is right when he says "You can still put a fossil as your active pokemon during set-up and
still place pokemon on your bench. "

Juliacoolo said:
A more literal approach to that is that you can start with a fossil, you just can't put anything on the bench. Your opponent can't prove that you had more pokemon in your hand, so as long as a fossil is the only card you play at the beggining of the game, you are allowed to.

One good rule of thumb to think here is: A fossil is a trainer in your hand, deck, discard, or prizes. A fossil is a Pokemon on your bench or in the active position.

So if you draw a Fossil on the first turn of the game, you can't play trainers, so you can't play the fossil.

ApachePrime said:
One good rule of thumb to think here is: A fossil is a trainer in your hand, deck, discard, or prizes. A fossil is a Pokemon on your bench or in the active position.

So if you draw a Fossil on the first turn of the game, you can't play trainers, so you can't play the fossil.

Very good point. I actually forgot about that one since I have only played the TCG a few times just to see how the game went. Anyway. Fossils are Pokemon in a way but can't attack and he is right you can't play trainers the first turn. You have to pick a Pokemon THEN if you want you can play your fossil on the 2nd turn.:)

Ok I would also like to verify weither i can put down multiple fossil trainers in my "set up" phase if i'm running a fossil deck, also I would like to verify (since i'm running a fossil deck) weather or not I am allowed to have a deck with no basic pokemon considering my deck is about the fossils, otherwise I'm throwing a random SP into the deck.

For it to be legal deck, you have to have at least one basic Pokemon in it(not counting Fossils).

Yes you may. You must put one pokemon down as an active, which may be a fossil. You may also put up to 5 fossil pokemon on your bench during set-up. Since you have to include at least one basic pokmeon in your deck, I might recommend Uxie.

Back