BW10 Speculation

evilpacman said:
omahanime said:
Because they are!

They are just a gimmick to get money.

But then again, the 1st edition cards are sort of gimmicky too...

Yes... but they actually add something to the value IMHO. The same way collectors want a 1st edition copy of a book as opposed to the one you picked up from barnes and noble yesterday.

Also I don't see 1ED as a money grab since they print it for X amount of cards, which they will sell regardless, then switch to unlimited which they sell for the same price. 1ED only increases the value in the secondary market.

LOL @ everybody taking my comment seriously :p

While I am not a fan, it helps regulate the price of regular holos while keeping money in the franchise. Parents will buy packs because the youngsters just want to see shiny stuff and are guaranteed a "shiny" in every pack, maybe even two!

It's obviously marketing but sadly it's necessary, just like having 1000 pokemon by the end of 2020 ;)

Normally, the Japanese sets that would become our November sets, are announced in this very site this month, so we'll see if we get a BW10 announcement before the end of this month.

If we get BW10, that means that Japan is not trying to sync up the game and TCG release. If not, then they are probably trying to sync up the game and TCG release.

If there is no BW10, it means that Japan would probably release XY1 in October, or November. In that case, we would release ours in November.

If there is BW10, then Japan will most likely release this in December. We NEVER release entire sets before Japan, and it has never happened. Maybe a few cards in a set, but never entire sets. If this happens, then here is the solution.

We release XY1 in January or February. Around 10% or 20% of the set will be packaged with the fall tins in 5 card preview packs. They will also be packaged in blister packs like Dragon Vault. BW10 would be released in November.

When we release a set, like DIamond and Pearl, or Black and White, a month away from their video game counterpart's release, Japan already has cards to import and translate. We are getting X and Y in October, and same with Japan, but by November, Japan hasn't released any X and Y TCG cards yet, so we don't have any cards to translate. They will probably have some starter decks, or some stuff like that, but that won't be enough cards to make a decent sized set, so the preview pack idea is the best idea, in case Japan decides to release BW10.

See the thing is there is such a strong sign of BW10 existing because of merch patterns that have been going on since the start of the TCG more or less. There is always a 'movie set'. In the sense of July always has a summer set. Again, it's when what we collectors know as Merch Mecca happens since there is just a huge plethora of goods released over the course of July/August thanks to the movie.

I'm still standing by the argument that TPC US have no clue nor care for if the TCG is synched, if the TCG even has similar pack ratios to Japan or even the same sets. They just want money. They make money by making monstrous sets that are a cluster conglomerate of the exclusive decks/starter kits/preview packs plus whatever set is relevant at the time, along with rather on and off pack rates, that then result in a lot of the product being bought in bulk so sets could be completed. PCL in Japan who are the governing body over the TCG rulings and the set rosters when it comes to Japan as well as the actual printing company will stick to what they know and what they do.

Just because the game releases courtesy of game freak are being released simultaneously does not equal a harmonisation in the english TCG. It'd be too radical a change and wouldn't gel with TPC US/Internationals selling standpoint and structures. Not to mention they'd have to actually put in proper not fubared set rotations that'd make sense, like Japan, unlike what they have now which often sees a big mix up of game archetypes because you'd have crossovers of certain sets (especially DP/DPt/Legend mix, that was horrible.)

tl;dr -- BW10. I'd be seriously surprised if we didn't get it because it'd break not only a pattern but it'd also nerf them merchandise wise during the biggest and busiest season of TCG releases and merch as a whole. Why do you think most July sets in Japan are either a) a big set of 70+ cards, or b) a set block with two smaller sets after all?

It's also possible that japan will have a movie promo set that won't be technically a BW set. If that were the case they could hit their summer release and still sync up.

Although from what I'm hearing about pokemon USA's business practices from you guys that seems less and less likely.

I think it would actually cause more problems for us than it would solve. I'd imagine it'd be rather difficult to synchronize adding the various promo and mini-set releases that Japan gets much more frequently than us with inclusion of those cards in sets, which would probably result in us getting promos and such later than at present. The transition would also cause problems in some form or another (either giving us a massively overpopulated set, delayed sets, us not getting a large chunk of cards, two sets in quick succession or a set fragmented across multiple releases) most likely. I get the feeling the TCG won't be synchronized. Non-booster releases are just simply too different between Japan and the rest of the world. They might choose to do this after the XY era has been established, but I find it doubtful to be honest.

NarcoticHobo said:
It's also possible that japan will have a movie promo set that won't be technically a BW set. If that were the case they could hit their summer release and still sync up.

I really wouldn't mind an older style movie set/deck at the very least. If not just for some Iris and Cilan owned 'mon cards.

Possible Set Idea

So, I had this idea, it probably won't happen, but what if the made the next English set (after Plasma Blast, of course) like a combination of EX Battle Boost and Shiny Collection, with some reprints but mostly the new cards that came out in those sets, and lots of misc. promos they got (because they get WAY more promos than us). What do you guys think?

RE: Possible Set Idea

Heh, I've been waffling back and forth on whether I think XBB will get localized or not. On one hand, it's mostly repeats and cards that are are collectible, but not useful. On the other hand, some of those reprints are very playable and it seems like it would be weird to have those reprints legal in Japan after the rotation (if any) but not anywhere else.

I guess I could see the TCPi cutting and pasting the set with some promos and maybe SC, but if they cut cards, I don't think they'll necessarily be the reprints because of the rotation issue. SC cards could get tossed in a set, though it does kind of remove the specialness of those cards. I also wonder what TCPi would do for the SR/URs, since I can't see the Smash and Imakuni? cards getting localized.

Of course, that's assuming there is a rotation, something I don't think has been confirmed yet. I think the rotation, if any, along with any plans TCPi has for syncing up sets (also unknown, but probably unlikely) will have a big impact on how much of XBB will be seen outside of Japan.

I don't think we'll know until the set after Plasma Blast has been revealed. They could easily go either way on this one. And for all we know, the set after Plasma Blast could be a massive 200-card behemoth that combines XY1, Battle Boost, Shiny Collection, Exciting Battles and a crapload of promos.

I doubt they will ever mix cards of the current TCG era with cards from the new TCG that's coming with XY... Like, the XY cards will most likely have a different layout... Not that they didn't do it before i.e. Southern Islands or some Wizard promos (which is another point since that has only been done when Wizards was in charge; there's also the cresselia, darkrai and pikachu promos which were released in the Pt era and then re-released with the Legend era layout, but only in japan though), but still... I think it's very unlikely...

Metalizard said:
I doubt they will ever mix cards of the current TCG era with cards from the new TCG that's coming with XY... Like, the XY cards will most likely have a different layout... Not that they didn't do it before i.e. Southern Islands or some Wizard promos (which is another point since that has only been done when Wizards was in charge; there's also the cresselia, darkrai and pikachu promos which were released in the Pt era and then re-released with the Legend era layout, but only in japan though), but still... I think it's very unlikely...

I meant like, We would get XY1 in February and we would get what I was talking about in November.

Why would syncing set releases be so amazing anyways I want to know what I'm buying before I buy it.

Honestly, I hope we get a giant filler set in November instead of XY1. Having as many cards in English as possible is more important to me than syncing up the releases. Especially because I imagine that syncing up the releases would be a nightmare logistically. Japan has promos, like, every other day and the US just wouldn't be able to follow those sorts of release plans. It's kind of why the BW sets are basically the Japanese sets + promo decks + promos shoved in anyway.

SheNinja said:
Why would syncing set releases be so amazing anyways I want to know what I'm buying before I buy it.
So people don't have an idea of the tier 1 decks a couple months in advance. It allows the really competitive players to get an edge over the average players because more knowledge will be gained by testing. Of course, the internet makes this harder, but it will still expand the gap between skilled and unskilled players.

Back