safariblade

Video Gamer
Advanced Member
sunj.png

A 5th Gen OU RMT
By: safaribladehttp://www.pokebeach.com/forums/user-safariblade
Illustrations by Arkeis

Introduction
Back in 2009 when I joined PokeBeach, I never really got into battling much at all, especially not competitive battling online. But with the peak of ShoddyBattle and the 4th Generation, I started battling a little bit just to try it out. I was instantly overwhelmed, a feeling that I still get today when I log onto a Pokemon Online server. But by the time that Black & White came out, I had pretty much given up on battling simply because it seemed like something too hard to just jump into. I had no idea what I was doing, and there seemed like no easy way to learn. But when Black & White finally came out, the new generation was a great opportunity to relearn everything with a fresh start. Although I was not accepted into tutoring in the Spring PokeBeach Tutor program, I still was able to learn by myself. I quickly learned, like everyone else, that Sandstorm teams were dominating. Today, weather is the way you go. But me, liking to be unique, didn't like the idea of using a cookie-cutter Sand or Rain team. So from then on, I liked the ideas of Sun teams and Hail teams. Luckily, while I was messing around some, TheDarkLucario decided to "Take me under his wing" and tutor me a bit. With his good bit of help, I learned a lot about the metagame and how I could best make a successful sun team that would not get destroyed so easily. I owe a large portion of this team to him. Thanks for the help! This team has no problem defeating non-weather teams. While laddering, I discovered that it can take Hail teams easily, and can beat poorly built Rain and Sand teams, while struggling with the better ones. I hope you enjoy reading about this team as much as I enjoy writing about it and battling with it. Please provide feedback, and thanks for reading!

Edit [9/11/11]
It has now been over two months since I started this team. Overall it has been pretty good, and is actually doing better than it ever has. It peaked #7 on The Battle Tower, and got decent ranks on both Pokemon Online and Smogon. Every common threat in the metagame is covered in some way by this team. Although I believe this team is now is in its best shape possible, I am always open to suggestions. Thanks for the support!

Team Building

Spr_4h_038.png

Ninetales is of course a staple to any current sun team. Without it, there would be no automatic sun. Although it may just simply be a weather lead, Ninetales has won many battles for me. Often, Ninetales must be used to switch back in several times in order to bring back sun. For this reason I made Ninetales a bit bulky and with substitute for an extra layer of defense if needed.
Spr_4h_038.png
th_SpriteVictini.png

The whole basis of my sun team is to use the sun to hit strong. Victini was the first choice for strong attackers. Although normally coupled with a Choice Scarf, I find that with the right prediction, Victini can do some major damage, especially in the sun. The reason why I chose him so fast was because of the raw damage that V-Create can cause in the sun.
Spr_4h_038.png
th_SpriteVictini.png
48318.gif

With a Fire lead and a main Fire attacker, Politoed is a big threat, especially SpecsToed. Other bulky waters like Swampert and Jellicent could be problems too. Venusaur is a quick fix that, while having Chlorophyll, fits perfectly into a sun team, and has quite often swept entire teams because of its speed and Growth + STAB.
Spr_4h_038.png
th_SpriteVictini.png
48318.gif
579_reuniclus_front_norm.png

I knew that there would be about three major Pokemon that could wall this team. Blissey, Gliscor, & Reuniclus. At this point, I had battled many, and I knew that I needed either a Bulky counter staller, or a hard hitting sweeper to knock them down. Reuniclus is able to do do both while also fitting well in the team.
Spr_4h_038.png
th_SpriteVictini.png
48318.gif
490.png

BallonTran is an obvious force in the metagame. When you add the sun, things only get better. BalloonTran was an obvious pick because of his ability to switch into Earthquakes if played right. He can really pack a punch to anything that he can outspeed. He often cleans up nicely towards the end of matches.
Spr_4h_038.png
th_SpriteVictini.png
48318.gif
490.png
080.png

I figured that if I was using sun, my opponent might use it against me. Slowbro is there to take fire damage and the Slack Off it away. Currently, I also use Yawn and Flamethrower, but they could be changed. Slowbro is a great Dragon counter, killing what Heatran couldn't with Ice Beam.

Edit [7/10/11]
Spr_4h_038.png
th_SpriteVictini.png
48318.gif
490.png
starmie_sprite.png

Slowbro was working fine, but he wasn't perfect. His purpose was to take water and fire damage and kill dragons, a niche that Starmie fits a lot better in this team. Starmie not only does more damage to Tornadus and Thundurus, but it works as a spin blocker on the team, which works well because entry hazards can tear up the team if I am not careful.
Spr_4h_038.png
Spr_4h_059.png
48318.gif
490.png
starmie_sprite.png

Victini was a really good teammate. He was the reason I made this team. But my problem with T-Tar was just too great. Victini shares typings with Reuniclus & Starmie, making him hard to switch in from them without being hurt bad. V-Create was strong, but on such a frail Pokemon, Arcanine is a better choice. It can OHKO T-Tar while being able to recover HP with Morning Sun. It is a great addition.

Edit [9/11/11]
Spr_4h_038.png
Spr_5b_392.png
48318.gif
490.png
starmie_sprite.png

Arcanine was a member of the team for a long time. And honestly, there was no reason for him to be removed, but I just felt that he wasn't the best he could be. His main job was to get rid of Tyranitar, which he did beautifully, but after that, he was easily revenge-killed. Infernape gets Close Combat, and a priority like Arcanine, plus hard hitting physical Fire Stab, and U-Turn.

The Team

ninetales.png

Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 92 SDef / 164 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar

Ninetales is the cornerstone of the team. Without her, there would be no sun to fuel the power. So as a weather lead, she is perfect. I really did expect to struggle with her int he beginning of battles, but I was surprised. There is really not much to stop her. The most common lead that can often be a problem is Tyranitar. When he is sent out, the primary goal is to keep Ninetales alive so it can come back later and set up the sun. What I normally do is go ahead and Will-O-Whisp right there. Most Tyranitars will Stealth Rock, and unless they have an Aromotherapy Blissey, the burn is essential on Tyranitar right there. Some Tyranitars are smart enough to either Earthquake or Stone Edge on the first turn. Luckily, Ninetales is bulky enough to take either of them. If they Quake, that usually means they are Choiced, so I simply switch in Heatran, avoid the Quake with his Balloon, and then decide what to do from there. (Either Earth Power for the 2HKO or predict a switch to Gliscor or something) If the Tyranitar Stone Edges, by best bet is to absorb the next one with Reuniclus. Overally, Tyranitar is pesky, but can be played around.

Swampert and Whimsicott are fairly common leads. Whimsicott dies from Flamethrower, and Swampert dies from a fairly unexpected Energy Ball. (often resulting in a ragequit haha) The reason I run Energy Ball over Confuse Ray is that Ninetales really is more important to switch and protect than to use to status. Energy Ball is a nice surprise for water types too. Speaking of which, Politoed is trouble. Although Victini's Wild Charge can kill them, the switch is often risky. The best bet is to get sun up and then Sleep Powder with Venu. Once asleep, Growth + Energy Ball can either take care of Toed or at least sweep a bit before Life Orb catches up to him.

Another bad matchup is another Ninetales. Other Ninetales like to Confuse Ray A LOT. I've learned that my best bet is to just switch to Reuniclus and try to set up. I'm highly considering Protect over Substitute on Ninetales because not only do I rarely Substitute, but Protect can help to heal Ninetales, as well as scout out which attacks are coming.

Edit [7/10/11]
I switched Energy Ball and Substitute out for Protect and Roar.

Energy Ball, while being a great surprise to some leads, ultimately was not used often. Ninetales is not made for attacking because it needs to be preserved for weather wars. It needs to be alive to restart the sun. Substitute is the same way, I rarely found myself using it, because I would often switch out anyways. There was no need to attack with Ninetales unless I can outspeed them, so Substitute is not the best option for this team's lead.

The first change I did was to Protect. The original idea was to just get a bit of Leftovers healing if I get attacked. But the best use of Protect is of course to scope out the opponent. It lets me see if a T-Tar or Toed is choiced or not. It lets me decide who to switch in. Its an overall useful and versatile move.

The second change was to add Roar. I tried this just to see if it would help with Heatran's Stealth Rock damage and help to get rid of slower but threatening leads. But the reason why I like Roar and like to keep it is to stop chains of boosts. When something Calm Minds or Swords Dances, I switch to Ninetales to Roar it away and then maybe burn it to hinder it later. It has worked successfully so far.

venusaur.png

Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake
- Growth
- Sleep Powder

Venusaur with sun up is such a troll. Seriously. Its EVs make it as fast as possible with Chlorophyll, and with its Nature, its Special STAB moves can pack a punch. After one Growth, this thing can OHKO Infernape, Skarmory, Excadrill, Thundurus, Jirachi, Tyranitar, and almost any water types. It can outspeed Deoxys-S and most Scarf users. Often times, if there is something that I just can't kill, I just switch over and Sleep Powder it. Then I either Growth or switch to Reuniclus to Calm Mind. Life Orb definitely helps, but it also slowly kills Venu of course. Many times, Venusaur just goes out once, kills 2 or 3 Pokemon, and then dies. It can definitely take one for the team.

But another major role of Venusaur is the fact that he is Grass type. He can switch into Water moves that try to hit all of the fire types. With sun up, the Water damage is even lowered more. Blissey can be a problem, especially if it can heal Sleep. Heatran can also wall Venu completely if something else is alseep. However, Reuniclus can take care of both. I often find my opponents switching Grass types like Whimsicott into Venu to take the Energy Balls. I think people forget just how much damage Sludge Bomb can do. Mostly, steels like Jirachi try to come in to absorb the Posion attack, but after a Growth, Energy Ball says hi. Unless there is already a Growth up, I usually switch out on Jirachi, as its flinch moves + Venu's Life Orb can kill him fast if I am unlucky.

Edit [7/10/11]
Switched the set from Special to Physical.

The idea is still the same, Sleep Powder if I am lucky, do a Growth, try to sweep until Life Orb kills me. This Physical set was suggested by Hyperbeem, and Bippa helped me to test it a bit. Earthquake takes care of Jirachi, and after one Growth, Seed Bomb OHKOs Tyranitar, who Venu can outspeed even without having sun up. The Physical set is also handy when facing Blissey, unlike the Special set.

starmie.png

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid (-Atk, +Spe)
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Rapid Spin is crucial to this team. Ninetales dies from hazards so easily when there is a whether war. And now that Arcanine has been added, Stealth Rocks cannot be left up. This set was mentioned more than once, and for good reason. It can do everything Slowbro did but better. Thunderbolt can hit a weakened Politoed for an easy kill. It can also cripple Gyarados and other Flying types. Ice beam, like Slowbro, is used to kill Dragons like Dragonite and the Lati@s brothers. It can also be helpful against the Genies and Gliscor.

Starmie can recover just like Slowbro, but with the addition of Rapid Spin, there is no Yawn that Slowbro had. But Yawn was rarely used because the Sleep Clause is usually activated by Venu pretty early into the battle. Overall, I was afraid to have Starmie not have a bulky set, but it works out very well without any Bulky EVs. It is a reliable teammate.

infernape.png

Infernape @ Leftovers
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Mach Punch
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat

Infernape is the Tyranitar killer. But unlike Victini and Arcanine, Infernape is able to become a reliable sweeper if needed. Mach Punch is to replace the Extremespeed from Arcanine, plus it gets a Stab boost. Infernape is a great addition to the team, able to call out rival Reuniclus, just to U-Turn into my own Reuniclus to take the damage. Before now, my team had nothing to really hurt Psychic-types.

Flare Blitz is able to inflict a ton of damage. Although it doesn't match V-Create, it is strong enough to sweep with, especially with Stealth Rock support. I run Leftovers because the extra health back from the Flare Blitz recoil is so helpful, and the loss of power from the lack of Life Orb isn't really that noticeable. Especially since it would be sucking my health every turn. If you have another suggestion, feel free to post.

reuniclus.png

Reuniclus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Although Reuniclus is weak to Tyranitar, Chandelure, Gengar, and other Metagame moves like U-Turn and Pursuit, His bulk and movepool easily make up for his weaknesses and his low speed. Reuniclus is an amazing stall breaker with his Magic Guard ability, eating up not only Leech Seeds and Toxics, but also his Life Orb damage. Coupled with Recover and Calm Mind, this makes Reuniclus a very bulky, but very hard hitting Sweeper. Stall teams crumble at Reuiclus' very tiny feet, as he laughs in the face of Blissey and other walls like SubGliscor.

Some Reuniclus run PsyShock, while most run Focus Blast. I run neither. while I might test out Focus Blast, I find that Shadow Ball is a nice surprise to other Reuniclus who try to out stall me with Psyshock. After some Calm Minds, a Psychic or two can take out Heatran, so there is really no need for Focus Blast, but it is always a vital option to try, especially when Tyranitar and Scizor try to troll. Another threat to Reuniclus is Roar, which is difficult to either predict or counter. I am also considering trying Conkeldurr as teammate because of their coverage of each other and also as an Anti-Tyranitar measure.

Edit [7/10/11]
Switched Shadow Ball for Focus Blast.

Everyone suggested this, so I had to try it. The reason why I will stick to it is because fighting another Reuniclus in a Calm Mind battle isn't necessary anymore because of Ninetale's Roar. Focus Blast hits Tyranitar and Heatran, as well as Blissey as a last resort.

heatran.png

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse

Heatran is pretty amazing. Now that Blissey can be covered by Reuniclus, Heatran is ready to troll, especially if he still has his little Balloon. Heatran is great for absorbing Fire moves either aimed at Venusaur, or just trying to abuse the sun. However if you predict wrong, it could mean the lose of your Ballon. Or worse, if you happen to switch into a Fighting move, it could spell trouble. Flamethrower is a accurate way to get sum damage. Earth Power is for other Heatrans, and sometimes Tryranitars. Dragon Pulse is to take care of dragons, especially Latios, whose Specd Surf can only do a 4HKO in the sun.

Unlike most Heatrans who run HP Ice or Grass, I prefer Dark Pulse to hurt Reniculus who survive my own. However I haven't had too much luck, so I am open to suggestions. HP Ice isn't really needed because of Dragon Pulse, and HP Grass isn't needed for Water types, because the sun weakens them so much. Overall, the team is solid but could need improvements. Let me know what you think!!

Edit [7/10/11]
Switched Dark Pulse out for Stealth Rock

Dark Pulse might have healed against Starmie or Slowbro, but there are better and less risky counters on the team. Anything else that Dark Pulse might hit was better off being killed by Flamethrower. Stealth Rock is very important, as it damages the opponent a lot, especially if I abuse Ninetales' Roar. I am currently debating Lava Plume vs. Flamethrower. Let me know, thanks!!

Past Team Members

slowbro.png

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off
- Yawn

Slowbro's two purposes are simple. Absorb attacks, and kill Dragons. It does both fairly well. Although Fire moves are boosted by the sun, Slowbro can catch them and Slack them off pretty easily. He is helpful when facing another sun team, because Yawn can cripple sweepers when Venu would die if he misses his Powder. Slowbro is also very good at absorbing Water, not only because of his typing, but because of the sun weakening Water. Ice Beam or Flamethrower can take care of grass types trying to ruin Slowbro's fun, but Flamethrower does more damage in the sun. Ice Beam takes care of any Dragons that Heatran's Dragon Pulse could not. It also helps against Honchkrow.

One problem with Slowbro is that with Flamethrower and Ice Beam, he is easily walled by Bulk Waters. If He is my last Pokemon, it is almost always Good Game. I am highly considering switching him for Starmie, able to Ice Beam, but also Thunderbolt and Rapid Spin.

victini.png

Victini @ Expert Belt
Trait: Victory Star
- V-create
- U-turn
- Brick Break
- Wild Charge

Victini is great for one reason: V-Create. In the sun with STAB, V-Create's Base Power is over 400. That means it can kill or take a chunk out of just about anything. With 100 Base Speed, Victini can outseed a decent amount of Pokemon, but its downfall is Earthquake. Luckily, with a little prediction, Balloontran can switch in to take it or a Shadow Ball.

Although a Choice Scarf might seem like the best option, I have killed SO many water types with Wild Charge who think they are going to switch in on V-Create. I find that little bit of flexibility better than a speed or power boost. The bottom line is that Victini can be an amazing sweeper if played right, and in the sun, it becomes so much better for obvious reasons.

arcanine.png

Arcanine @ Life Orb
Trait: Intimidate
- Flare Blitz
- Morning Sun
- Wild Charge
- Close Combat

Arcanine is a very appropriate replacement for Victini. It doesn't have its weakness to Dark or Ghost moves, so it can switch in at times when I predict a supereffective attack to Reuniclus or Starmie. Flare Blitz is powerful enough to kill anything that V-Create could. Wild Charge stays with Arcanine for coverage of Waters who try to switch in. Close Combat is the main reason that I switched. It can OHKO Tyranitar, a major team threat. Blissey dies too. It can also OHKO Heatran, who trys to switch in to absorb Flare Blitz.

Normally, if this wasn't a Sun team, I would run Extremespeed for priority, but how could I resist Morning Sun, a move that heals 2/3s of health in the sun? It makes up for the Life Orb damage, but even still, I am contemplating over running Leftovers. Let me know which should be used and why. Intimidate is chosen over Flash Fire only because Heatran already has Flash Fire. Let me know your opinions on this as well.

RE: [BW OU] Sun Over The Beach - Sun Team

If you are using Life Orb on Venusaur, why not switch Energy Ball for Giga Drain? It allows for recovery from the HP lost due to Life Orb.

Get rid of Energy Ball on Ninetales and replace it with Solarbeam. It's a lot more powerful and takes no time to charge up in the sun (although there is that issue with Politoad and Tyranitar switching in...).

You cannot have Chlorophyll and Giga Drain on the same set.
I guess I could try Solarbeam on Ninetales.

I guess I'll actually rate a team, been a while...

On Ninetales, I would replace Substitute with Nasty Plot to actually threaten other weather switch ins, and definitely use Energy Ball over Solarbeam.

On Venusaur try this set:
Venusaur @ Life Orb
252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive
-Growth
-Earthquake
-Seed Bomb
-HP Fire

This should dispose of Jirachi, and it's also an amazing sweeper that can't really be walled by common Pokemon, as the special set is beat by Blissey/Chansey.

Now that Blissey and Chansey are not an issue, you can try this Reuniclus, that decimates off the bat.
Reuniclus @ Life Orb
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
-Trick Room
-Hidden Power Fire
-Psyshock / Psychic
-Focus Blast

You also need a Rapid Spin user to help Ninetales keep switching in to win the weather war, so I suggest Starmie over Slowbro.

Starmie @ Life Orb
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid
-Rapid Spin
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Recover

On Heatran, I advise HP Ice over Dark Pulse because Reuniclus beats Heatran anyways, and Heatran can KO Gliscor without relying on sun. Also, you could try Fire Blast on Heatran for serious power. You need to play carefully with Heatran, as now that Slowbro is gone Excadrill and Landorus are more threatening.

Perhaps run choice band over expert belt on Victini? V-Create will still do tons of damage, but the extra boost helps you get many KOs on common switch-ins.

(Latios, SOME Slowbro, TTar, and others)

Why don't you have Regenerator on Slowbro? It's the whole reason Slowbro can be used on OU.

Oh Heatran, run either HP Ice or HP Grass instead of Dark Pulse. In the Sun, Flamethrower will hit hard enough on anything weak to Dark Pulse anyways. I would also run Stealth Rock over Dragon Pulse. I don't know why you're not using it, because it causes good residual damage that will build up quicker with sun-boosted fire attacks.

Last, i would run Choice Band on Victini. In the Sun, CB V-Create will cause massive pain to anything that switches in, not named Politoed and Flash Fire.

Okay, it's 1:00 in the morning where I'm at, so this might be a little off.
Having played this Team myself (with a crappy Hail team lol), I can give you a bit of advice. I'm not so sure about Sub on Ninetails, as it's pretty much too frail to resist anything while subbed. With Ninetails, you want to cripple the opponent and get the heck out of there to preserve your sun. Protect or Toxic work well is Sub's place. I love the Venusaur set, I forget how I managed to kill it in our battle. Oh, that's right. Hail. Don't even try to get Venusaur out unless sun is up, or he's toast. Slowbro is annoying in many situations, but if you're desperate for more coverage, bulky Starmie works well utilizing Recover. Wish Vaporeon also works well in Sun, although not as well as Rain+Hydration. The fact that Victini couldn't KO my Heatran with a Brick Break means that he'll need some extra strength; Choice band would be a grand idea heck even scarf. Reuniclus works great too, but many people put Focus Blast on him for a reason; it helps 9 times out of 10. Shadow Ball can stick for now though. And as for Heatran, I'm going to suggest HP grass as a great counter for Water-types (like my Rotom-W, who wrecked you). But if you're gonna shoot down the idea of Hidden Power in Heatran's description before trying it, I'm not gonna stop you.

All in all, a good team, it's just the movepool that needs work. Other than that, you've got a very reliable team here. Well done!

Having faced your team, the one thing that I feel you really need is a spinner. All of your Pokes are grounded (though Reuniclus doesn't take damage from hazards).

Like many above me, I'm suggesting Starmie as a spinner. Despite its main stab being ruined by Sun, it's still an extremely flexible Pokemon.

Starmie @ Life Orb/Leftovers
EVs: 2 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Speed
Ability: Natural Cure
-Rapid Spin
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Recover

^LO shouldn't even be an option for Rapid Spin sets.

Shadow Arceus said:
^LO shouldn't even be an option for Rapid Spin sets.

Not even bro, Life Orb is still viable on RS sets. In this case, I would use Lefties because you won't be doing to much anyway, whether or not it has a Life Orb, due to the essential loss of its STAB.
So yeah.
Or run Recover and Life Orb and don't bother with Hydro Pump.

Like you mentioned about Heatran, Dark Pulse isnt the best choice. Dark pulse is very situational with Reuniclus, and he trolls you anyway with Focus Blast.

Running substitute could be useful for getting those pesky 2HKO's after switches. Metal sound could also be played with if you want heatran to be able to KO a wider variety of pokes, like Blissey.

Thanks everyone! These have been great tips!
Updated

Let me know what you think now.

Very good changes, I'd say. Good move changes on Ninetails, Protect will work very well, although be careful with only one offensive move. I preferred Special Venusaur, but physical works better on your team anyway. +100 internets for Starmie, I'm sure he'll (it?) work very well on the time. I'm not very familiar with Arcanine, but he can apparently destroy a lot of threats to your team. Bold Nature on Reuniclus is a good move, and Focus Blast should work well. Try to get Heatran's SR set up early in the game, as hazards will give your team a big advantage. The team looks even better now, keep it up!

Only have a small edit. I like ExtreemSpeed over Wild Charge on Arcanine. Extreemspeed allows Arcanine to come in and revenge kill weakened threats, even when sun isn't in play. Life Orb gives it a huge boost in power too. Since your team lacks any form of priority at all, I think extreemspeed might fit a little better.

Even though Venusaur is physical, HP Fire will still work good. The Sun boosts it's power, and growth does still raise both Attack and Special attack. IT could be handy to take care of Ferrothorn and Scizor without having to repetitively switch in Arcanine or Heatran and have damage built up on them. (Especially since Scizor is just going to figure it out and throw Superpowers eventually.) But it's not really neccessary, and Sleep Powder does work well to neutralize a threat.

I agree with TPO3 about ExtremeSpeed over Wild Charge. You've got two Pokemon to beat Politoed with Starmie's Thunderbolt and Venusaur's Seed Bomb.

Also, consider moving Heatran to the lead spot. You can get your Rocks up quicker, and it saves Ninetales. It's what I do with Politoed on my Rain Team, and it's worked very well.

This team is pretty solid now. Any further comments?
(Possibly someone who hasn't rated it yet)

I'm currently testing a Physical Infernape set to replace Arcanine.
Arcanine is great, and is no problem, but I'm just trying it out. It can do everything Arcanine can (except heal) and U-Turn helps against opposing Reinuclus.

So far, Infernape has done well and won me some battles, but honestly there isn't that much of a difference that I can see.

Also, what item should I run? I seem to be doing enough damage with Leftovers, but it would be great to know some exact damage info when comparing items.

Does anyone know any damage calculations on current metagame pokemon vs Arcanine that would help me decide?

Edit [9/11/11]
It has now been over two months since I started this team. Overall it has been pretty good, and is actually doing better than it ever has. It peaked #7 on The Battle Tower, and got decent ranks on both Pokemon Online and Smogon. Every common threat in the metagame is covered in some way by this team. Although I believe this team is now is in its best shape possible, I am always open to suggestions. Thanks for the support!

I congratulate you on your success safari; I am really glad you got into competitive battling. It has been a really great experience battling and talking to you on PO. ^_^ Your team still looks great, so I only have two suggestions. You could perhaps run a Substitute-Growth set on Venusaur, utilizing HP Fire and Giga Drain/Seed bomb on the other two moveslots. Subseed is always another option as well. On Infernape, seeing as you've already got a fully physical set using U-turn, I would suggest giving him a Choice Band. Flare Blitz + Sun + Max Atk EV's can really do some damage, even on things that try to resist it on the switch. Thanks to his high speed and Mach Punch. he also makes and excellent revenge killer. And so, that's all I'll say. Again, congrats on your success and I hope you'll remember all that you've learned here on PokeBeach. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back