• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Buzzwole/Lucario GX

Articuno_Aria

Articuno is UNO for a reason
I'm challenging myself and playing a fighting deck for the first time once Forbidden Light comes out (see http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/staples-in-a-fighting-deck.146941/). I've seen the many Buzzwole deck variants running around and wanted to branch out and try something different (though I know it's been done before lol). Below is my tentative decklist:

*Pokemon (15)
-Buzzwole GX x3
-Lucario GX x2
-Tapu Lele GX x2
-Diance {*} x1
-Riolu x2
-Sudowoodo (BKP) x1
-Remoraid x2
-Octillery x2

*Trainers (33)
-Cynthia x2
-Professor Sycamore x3
-Guzma x3
-N x2
-Acerola x2
-Ultra Ball x4
-Max Elixir x4
-Choice Band x3
-Brooklet Hill x4
-Super Rod x1
-Special Charge x1
-Field Blower x2
-Float Stone x2

*Energy (12)
-Fighting Energy x8
-Strong Energy x4

It's a little under-aggressive I'd say, you definitely need a 9th Fighting Energy, and Beast Energy is absolutely needed. With Beast Energy, Diancie and Choice Band Buzzwole can 1HKO a Zoroark with a Jet Punch, and who wouldn't want that? Also more another draw supporter wouldn't go amiss, 7 probably won't be enough. Zygarde EX/GX or Oricorio is also needed to deal with Mew EX. The only thing is, there isn't much space to put these cards in, but I would definitely say take out the Sudowoodo and Special Charge, as you probably won't use either of those. The rest is your choice, as I haven't played Buzzwole in a while so I may be a little behind the times.

It's a little under-aggressive I'd say, you definitely need a 9th Fighting Energy, and Beast Energy is absolutely needed. With Beast Energy, Diancie and Choice Band Buzzwole can 1HKO a Zoroark with a Jet Punch, and who wouldn't want that? Also more another draw supporter wouldn't go amiss, 7 probably won't be enough. Zygarde EX/GX or Oricorio is also needed to deal with Mew EX. The only thing is, there isn't much space to put these cards in, but I would definitely say take out the Sudowoodo and Special Charge, as you probably won't use either of those. The rest is your choice, as I haven't played Buzzwole in a while so I may be a little behind the times.
Sudowoodo is great for Bulu, Dusk Mane(which will be scary with Beast Ring in the format), the mirror, and Mew-EX. Special Charge is pretty bad, so that should be dropped. Acerola is really meh, since you would much rather attack with a damaged Buzzwole with Energy on it than scoop it up. I agree that you really do want more than 7 draw supporters, but with Octillery, you can get away with 7, although adding a Lillie or Cynthia would be nice. Definitely play at least 3 Float Stone and 4 Guzma. Just trust me, Buzzwole needs the switching options. Field Blower isn't needed in any way whatsoever, but if you insist on keeping it, just play 1. When you knock out everything with Choice Bands and you have stadiums to replace other stadiums, you don't really have the space to concern yourself about it.
Something that may be a consistency factor and a bit of a luxury would be a 3rd Riolu. Starting with it is nice and having an extra one on deck isn't terrible.
Beast Energy however, I do not recommend. You already have means of totally destroying Zoroark, and Beast Energy does not work on anything but Buzzwole, so it would end up being a dead card that's just a slightly beefed up Strong Energy, but Diancie more than makes up for the difference. If anything, a Regirock-EX would be better, since it fills the space of the Mew/Mewtwo counter too, while making Riolu capable of one-shotting a Hoopa with Regirock, Diancie, and Strong Energy(10+10+20+20=60×2=120). And Lucario being able to OHKO Espeon, Lycanroc, Sylveon and finish off a Jet Punched(to the bench)Gardevoir is nice. Not necessarily suggesting to add one, although if you want to hit those kinds of numbers, it's useful to keep that information in mind.

Riolus go down like flies if the opponent knows how to play.
2 is way too little a number of copies for something that sits on the bench with 70 hps untile you decide to attack.

I think @gumball51321 covered everything. I have a good amount of experience playing Buzzwole-GX. My concern about pairing it with Lucario-GX is that your only attackers get wrecked by Mew-EX, Mewtwo, Garbodor, and Espeon-GX, all of which are pretty popular at the moment, and Psychic-types get some amazing support with Malamar and Mystery Treasure next set.

Here are the cards I would drop from your list:

-1 Acerola (Acerola really isn't needed because Buzzwole-GX is your main attacker, but I can see running one copy for Lucario-GX)
-1 Brooklet Hill (Three copies is plenty and you have four Ultra Ball)
-1 Special Charge (Not needed at all, especially when you add another Fighting Energy or two and have access to Super Rod)
-1/2 Field Blower (I think one copy is useful but certainly not necessary)

And I would add:

+1 Riolu (As was mentioned above, if your opponent knows how to play against you they will target Riolu)
+1 Zygarde-EX (Choice Band and a Strong Energy or Diance Prism Star allows Cell Storm to OHKO Zoroark for only two Energy. With all the damage modifiers that Fighting-types have access to, it's easy to power up his seemingly weak attacks and he's not weak to Psychic)
+1 Float Stone (You need the mobility)
+1/2 Fighting Energy (8 Energy is too low for Max Elixirs to be effective)

Hope this helps!

I think @gumball51321 covered everything. I have a good amount of experience playing Buzzwole-GX. My concern about pairing it with Lucario-GX is that your only attackers get wrecked by Mew-EX, Mewtwo, Garbodor, and Espeon-GX, all of which are pretty popular at the moment, and Psychic-types get some amazing support with Malamar and Mystery Treasure next set.

Here are the cards I would drop from your list:

-1 Acerola (Acerola really isn't needed because Buzzwole-GX is your main attacker, but I can see running one copy for Lucario-GX)
-1 Brooklet Hill (Three copies is plenty and you have four Ultra Ball)
-1 Special Charge (Not needed at all, especially when you add another Fighting Energy or two and have access to Super Rod)
-1/2 Field Blower (I think one copy is useful but certainly not necessary)

And I would add:

+1 Riolu (As was mentioned above, if your opponent knows how to play against you they will target Riolu)
+1 Zygarde-EX (Choice Band and a Strong Energy or Diance Prism Star allows Cell Storm to OHKO Zoroark for only two Energy. With all the damage modifiers that Fighting-types have access to, it's easy to power up his seemingly weak attacks and he's not weak to Psychic)
+1 Float Stone (You need the mobility)
+1/2 Fighting Energy (8 Energy is too low for Max Elixirs to be effective)

Hope this helps!
I'd rather suggest consistency with this kind of deck. If there is no room for a 4-3 Lucario line, I'd at least find space for more than one float stone since there are ''only'' 3 guzmas.

Thank you everyone for your constructive criticism! I've taken everything y'all have said and made the following changes to the decklist:

*Pokemon (16)
-Buzzwole GX x3
-Lucario GX x2
-Tapu Lele GX x2
-Zygarde EX x1
-Diance {*} x1
-Riolu x3
-Remoraid x2
-Octillery x2

*Trainers (31)
-Cynthia x3
-Professor Sycamore x2
-Guzma x4
-N x2
-Lillie x1
-Acerola x1
-Ultra Ball x4
-Max Elixir x4
-Choice Band x3
-Brooklet Hill x3
-Super Rod x1
-Float Stone x3

*Energy (13)
-Fighting Energy x9
-Strong Energy x4

revelation dance oricorio is a great answer to a lot of psychic threats. 1 fighting+choice band hits for 120, which OHKOs mew and puts a dent in naganadel.
and you almost always have a stadium in play so the drawback is worth it. it also gets bonus points for being resistant to fighting which helps in the mirror.
mew FCO can also get the job done, but requires you to have a buzz on the bench, gets countered by ability lock, and has less hp/no fighting resistance.
it gets bonus points for free retreat which can be nice tho.

naganadel will not be too easy to counter, which is specifically the reason why people will be pairing it with buzzwole.

TLDR; use revelation dance oricorio.

revelation dance oricorio is a great answer to a lot of psychic threats. 1 fighting+choice band hits for 120, which OHKOs mew and puts a dent in naganadel.
and you almost always have a stadium in play so the drawback is worth it. it also gets bonus points for being resistant to fighting which helps in the mirror.
mew FCO can also get the job done, but requires you to have a buzz on the bench, gets countered by ability lock, and has less hp/no fighting resistance.
it gets bonus points for free retreat which can be nice tho.

naganadel will not be too easy to counter, which is specifically the reason why people will be pairing it with buzzwole.

TLDR; use revelation dance oricorio.
Yeah, I've been testing with it and it's not awful.

I tested the deck on Monday, not bad so far. I need to get familiar with it, but I like it. I was able to knock out Gardy with Sudowoodo's Watch and Learn, my friend got salty after that lol. And thank you everyone with your replies and advice!

I wonder why everyone is so down on special charge? I find that having one in my deck gives me options. For example if I end up needing to dump strongs to sycamore they aren't lost forever. Enhanced Hammer is also way more common recently.

I wonder why everyone is so down on special charge? I find that having one in my deck gives me options. For example if I end up needing to dump strongs to sycamore they aren't lost forever. Enhanced Hammer is also way more common recently.
If all your Strong Energy somehow get discarded, Choice Band and Diancie still let you hit 210 with Buzzwole, and 170 with a fresh Lucario. Special Charge is not needed, and can clog up your hand when you need something else.

If all your Strong Energy somehow get discarded, Choice Band and Diancie still let you hit 210 with Buzzwole, and 170 with a fresh Lucario. Special Charge is not needed, and can clog up your hand when you need something else.

If we were talking about 2-3 or even four of them I'd agree with you, but the same can be said for a one of Super Rod or something like that. You take that risk because it could give you some strategic options.

Back