Help Buying Core Cards

Cassean808

Aspiring Trainer
I really want to get into the IRL pokemon TCG and start playing competitively locally. The only problem is that I lack a lot of core cards such as Cynthia and Guzma and I don't have a lot of money. I'm debating if I should buy them now and start playing in locals or should I wait for the next set to come out because the price for Cynthia and Guzma might go down? Happy to hear any opinion.

Theme decks are a great way to get cynthias.
Both the team up ones and the garchomp one have 2 cynthias so you can get 2 and you have your 4-of.
And remember you get the other cards, too, not just cynthias.

The guzmas are a little trickier to get...

If you wait until after the rotation in August (?), then you don't have to worry about getting leles and guzmas.
Instead, you will probably need some dedennes...

The Pokemon TCG is expensive at first, but if you spend your money wisely, buying individuals instead of packs, then you can get everything you need.

My vote is if you want to play now, buy now. I just started and my tips for being thrifty:

-Buy singles when possible. I bought both Team Up theme decks when Best Buy had them slightly on sale and the price of Cynthia dropped. I realized that the price of singles will always follow the sealed product availability. I think theme decks might = the cost of the cards you need if you can find a great deal, but I wouldn't otherwise (Example: Best Buy had Blazing Volcano for 7 bucks, which is a steal considering you can sell the code card).

-If you obtain PTCGO codes, sell those online (I believe it is allowed to sell codes because they are linked to you having an IRL, physical code card). For example, Theme Deck codes/Booster Pack codes

If you really cannot afford it, try using proxies for now, as I think League casual play tends to allow it.

Back