Ruling Buff pads debate

Cody Weibel

Aspiring Trainer
Did a game recently and we came across something that we weren't entirely sure on. The situation goes with a guzzlord gx out with buff pads on. A dark city stadium is played. Would that null out the buff pad effect?

Why do you think it would not nullify it?

With any card interaction, there should be an allowance (even a minuscule one) that the intent of the Japanese cards was lost in the wording, either the original Japanese or the local-language translation. Same for rulings themselves. ;)

A little more specific is understanding "effective" Retreat Costs versus "printed" Retreat Costs. I'm guessing that is where @Cody Weibel and friends were confused. It is something that applies to the Pokémon TCG in general. Some effects only care about what is explicitly printed on the cards, others care about what is considered to be there after whatever applicable effects have been factored in. Especially with modern wording, the former are usually going to be effects dealing with cards not in play, but in the hand, discard pile, Prizes, or Lost Zone.

With any card interaction, there should be an allowance (even a minuscule one) that the intent of the Japanese cards was lost in the wording, either the original Japanese or the local-language translation. Same for rulings themselves. ;)

Absolutely. I was simply asking what in particular they were thinking about - think of it as a Socratic question if you will, but also trying to specifically ask about the particular interaction they were concerned about to be able to address it. I find ruling questions are more effectively answered when the OP not only asks for the ruling but also explains why they think more than one answer is possible.

I find ruling questions are more effectively answered when the OP not only asks for the ruling but also explains why they think more than one answer is possible.

Sometimes that helps, sometimes it confuses things more as it changes their questions into leading questions.

Don't believe me? Below is a lengthy example/test involving some past rulings.

Pokémon Power: Rain Dance
As often as you like during your turn (before your attack), you may attach 1 [W] Energy card to 1 of your [W] Pokémon. (This doesn’t use up your 1 Energy card attachment for the turn.) This power can’t be used if Blastoise is Asleep, Confused, or Paralyzed.

Attach Rainbow Energy to 1 of your Pokémon. While in play, Rainbow Energy counts as every type of basic Energy but only provides 1 Energy at a time. (Doesn’t count as a basic Energy card when not in play.) When you attach this card from your hand to 1 of your Pokémon, it does 10 damage to that Pokémon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance.)

Pokémon Power: Energy Evolution
Whenever you attach an Energy card to Eevee, flip a coin. If heads, search your deck for a card that evolves from Eevee that is the same type as the Energy card you attached to Eevee. Attach that card to Eevee. This counts as evolving Eevee. Shuffle your deck afterward. This power can’t be used if Eevee is Asleep, Confused, or Paralyzed.

Poké-BODY: Pure Body
To attach a [W] Energy card from your hand to Suicune, you must discard an Energy card attached to Suicune. (Attach the [W] Energy, and then discard an Energy card from Suicune.)

Now, ask yourself how Rainbow Energy would interact with Rain Dance, Energy Evolution, and Pure Body?

Okay, now check to see what the original rulings for each were:

== RAIN DANCE (Blastoise - Base Set)
Q. Will you be able to use Blastoise's Pokémon Power: Rain Dance with Rainbow Energy if you change it to Water Energy?
A. No, it does NOT count as all basic energy when it is in your hand, only when Rainbow Energy is in play. (May 4, 2000 WotC Chat, Q104)

== ENERGY EVOLUTION (Eevee - Neo: Discovery Expansion)
Q. If I attach 1 Rainbow Energy to Eevee (Lv. 14) can I use Eevee's Energy Evolution Pokémon Power to search my deck for any Evolution of Eevee?
A. Yes you can. Rainbow Energy counts as any color of Energy while it is in play. This allows you to search for any evolution of Eevee. In this case (attaching a Rainbow energy) you can search for an evolution of any energy type. You do NOT need to announce it [the energy type] in advance. (Neo Discovery FAQ, WotC Website; Sep 16, 2002 WotC Rules Team Update, Item 5)​

== PURE BODY (Entei - Aquapolis Expansion)

Q. Since Rainbow Energy counts as all types while being attached (allowing Energy Evolution Eevee to use its power) would it also count for Aquapolis Entei's Pure Body?
A. Yes. (Jun 19, 2003 WotC Chat, Q2008)​
How did that match up to what you were thinking? Do the official rulings contradict, or do they make sense?

Check the final spoiler to find out:

== PURE BODY (Entei - Aquapolis Expansion; Suicune - Aquapolis Expansion; Raikou - Skyridge Expansion)

Q. Since Rainbow Energy counts as all types, would it also count for Aquapolis Entei's Pure Body?
A. No, Rainbow Energy, Multi Energy, and Crystal Energy provide non-colorless energy types only when they are in play, not when they are in the process of being attached. So, you can attach Rainbow Energy to Entei, Raikou, and Suicune with "Pure Body" and not have to discard another energy card. (Oct 16, 2003 PUI Rules Team; Oct 30, 2003 PUI Rules Team; in reference to Q on Jun 19, 2003 WotC Chat, Q2008)
Whoever asked asked the question originally misunderstood how the "Energy Evolution" Pokémon Power on Eevee (Neo Discovery 38/75) functioned. I still remember it because not only was I a rules nerd back then, I made use of the "Pure Body" Legendary Beasts in a few of my decks.

Energy Evolution triggers at the moment you attach an Energy from your hand to that Eevee; you don't worry about the Energy's Type until it is clearly already attached (and thus something like Rainbow Energy would count as all Types). I pointed this out to WotC but by this point they were weeks (days?) away from their license expiring, so they didn't care. I resubmitted the challenge to PUI and we pretty quickly saw it reversed.

Back