• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Budget - Sharpedo (SM) / Alolan Dugtrio (SM)

Fayld

Rayquaza / Eelektross Master
This is one of the more off the wall ideas I have had and am throwing it out there for kicks. I honestly don't think it will work because I think Sharpedo is a little too light on HP + won't hit hard enough even with the increases to hit hard enough, but why not right?

Pokemon (17)
4 Carvanha (SM)
4 Sharpedo (SM)
3 Alolan Diglett (SM)
3 Alolan Dugtrio (SM)
1 Oranguru (SM)
1 Remoraid (pick one)
1 Octillery (is there any other one that matters?)

Trainers (32)
3 Professor Sycamore
3 N
2 Lysandre
1 Professor Kukui
1 Olympia

4 VS Seeker
4 Trainer's Mail
3 Ultra Ball
3 Nest Ball
2 Escape Rope
1 Super Rod
1 Special Charge

3 Team Aqua's Secret Base
1 Parallel City

Energy (11)
4 Double Colorless
7 Darkness

The basic gist of the deck is to try to stick your opponent with a heavy retreat (2 or more) cost pokemon up front, get 2 Alolan Dugtrio's down, get a Team Aqua's Secret Base down, then use Sharpedo's Aqua Impact attack to hit for 60 + 60 + (0 / 20 / 40 / 60).

As you can see, it can hit some pretty big numbers fairly easily, but the setup will obviously be pretty clunky. Honestly, I don't think it would be competitive and this is clearly not an optimized list to try to make it competitive, but it was at least something I thought was interesting enough to warrant a discussion point :)

Since sharpedo's ability is a nerfed down version of Pyukumuku's innards out ability, I would of liked to have tried using Pyukumuku with Sharpedo and Bursting Balloon, for dealing back loads more damage than the 6 damage counters that bursting balloons gives to an opponent. (Sharpedo can make the opponent take 90. Pyukumuku can make the opponent take 120).
You can still run the Alolan Dugtrio though and the aqua secret base. Having your opponent be stuck and forced to attack into a Pokemon holding a balloon and a retaliation ability/ effect is really nasty.

Since sharpedo's ability is a nerfed down version of Pyukumuku's innards out ability, I would of liked to have tried using Pyukumuku with Sharpedo and Bursting Balloon, for dealing back loads more damage than the 6 damage counters that bursting balloons gives to an opponent. (Sharpedo can make the opponent take 90. Pyukumuku can make the opponent take 120).
You can still run the Alolan Dugtrio though and the aqua secret base. Having your opponent be stuck and forced to attack into a Pokemon holding a balloon and a retaliation ability/ effect is really nasty.

I had also thought about using the balloons too. I wasn't sure what I wanted to cut for them and was actually thinking the Oranguru and Octillery draw supports would be the cards I would cut. Maybe cut one of the two types of poke balls to get a 4th one in or an eco arm plus 3.

how is it nerfed? Pyukumuku has to be KO'd

Yeah, you can drop the Draw Support for Balloons if you desire. Since you're going to be playing a slower style, most of your draw should (should) be coming from your Supporters, anyway. Another thing I will recommend is Float Stone over Escape Rope and a tech Eco Arm. That way, you have about 5 tools and the ability to recycle them for late game, which is important for this deck imho.

So, your tools would look something like:
3 Bursting Balloon
2 Float Stone
1 Eco Arm

Then, if you really want keep 1 Escape Rope (good card as a 1-of anyway).

Then, you can drop:
1 Remoraid
1 Octillery
1 Oranguru
1 Nest Ball (Ultra Ball is more important anyway)
1 Darkness Energy (should be okay with Super Rod in your Main)

That should even out unless my numbers are wrong (in which case, I'm sure you can figure that out xP ).

Either way, I hope this helped!

-Asmer

Brief update. I actually played against this deck tonight! Was super excited.

I happened to be playing my Altaria deck and I think there are some bugs online. I got the abilities down with garb, but the additional damage cards didnt hit. Wasn't damaged by bursting balloon or dangerous energy and both should have applied.

On a separate note, the dangerous energy was an awesome addition and really has great synergy with this deck concept.

Having played against the deck though, I can confidently say that garb really really really hurts it. Stacking that with fairy garden pretty much made the Alteria match an auto loss.

If the person I was playing happens to read pokebeach, please share your experience and thoughts on your time playing it. I am very curious!

I just read this deck list and I was wondering about how much would this cost? I saw some VS. Seekers which aren't that cheap.

Here is the breakdown. Whole deck costs under 75 dollars and if you really wanted to make it cheaper, you could shave 38 dollars off that price by replacing the VS Seekers + Trainer's Mails with Acro Bikes + something else.

Also, I went with the list closer to Asmer's changes because I think it is more representative of a successful list. I also think it is a little cheaper.

The way this reads: Card || Price || Source || Number Needed at Price || Total Cost for the cards

vs seeker || $7 || Ebay / Amazon || 4 || $28
N || $1.25 || Ebay || 3 || $3.75
Trainer's Mail || $2.34 || Amazon || 4 || $9.36
Lysandre || $0.75 || Ebay || 2 || $1.5
Team Aqua's Secret Base || $2 || Amazon || 3 || $6
Parallel City || $1 || Amazon || 1 || $1
Double Colorless Energy x4 || $1.56 || Ebay || 1 || $1.56
Ultra Ball x4 || $1.35 || Ebay || 1 || $1.35
Next Ball x4 || $1.9 || Ebay || 1 || $1.9
Escape Rope x2 || $1.5 || Ebay || 1 || $1.5
Super Rod || $0.75 || Amazon || 1 || $0.75
Special Charge x4 || $1.4 || Ebay || 1 || $1.4
Bursting Balloon || $0.73 || Amazon || 3 || $2.19
Eco Arm || $0.5 || Amazon || 1 || $0.5
Dangerous Energy x6 || $1.1 || Ebay || 1 || $1.1
Carvanha x4 || $1 || Ebay || 1 || $1
Sharpedo || $1 || Ebay || 4 || $4
Alolan Diglett x4 || $1 || Ebay || 1 || $1
Professor Sycamore x4 || $2.15 || Ebay || 1 || $2.15
Alolan Dugtrio || $1 || Ebay || 3 || $3

Brief update. I actually played against this deck tonight! Was super excited.

I happened to be playing my Altaria deck and I think there are some bugs online. I got the abilities down with garb, but the additional damage cards didnt hit. Wasn't damaged by bursting balloon or dangerous energy and both should have applied.

On a separate note, the dangerous energy was an awesome addition and really has great synergy with this deck concept.

Having played against the deck though, I can confidently say that garb really really really hurts it. Stacking that with fairy garden pretty much made the Alteria match an auto loss.

If the person I was playing happens to read pokebeach, please share your experience and thoughts on your time playing it. I am very curious!

Yeah, there's a damage stacking glitch going on. It happened with me and Druddigon + Rocky Helmet with two separate instances of Garbodor. First was with Garbolock in play. Rocky Helmet didn't trigger. Second was with Garbolock not active. Druddigon activated, but Rocky Helmet did not. I tried sending the problem to TPCi and they were about useless. Seems that it's all damaging items/things and Garbodor that's the problem. ^^;;

And yeah, Garbodor is going to be the bane to this deck, sadly. Still, I'm sure this deck is super fun to play, regardless. I want to try it out myself, but then again, I love gimmicks.

-Asmer

Been playing sharpedo/dugtrio a little and here are some things i noticed. Manaphy ruins your strategy. As soon as it hits the bench any pokemon with water energy will only receive 60 damage. Same goes for float stone. Exp. Share is great for this deck i've found. Rough skin is an awesome ability. Really helps guarantee 1 shots, 2 shots and even ko's coming to your turn sometimes. I started out with octillery, but switched to oranguru and it kinda improved the deck's consistency (though it could just be my luck). I've mostly had really bad luck with this deck and haven't won much, but it definitely has potential to be a strong and fun budget deck.

Have you considered the AOr Eeveelutions to hit a lot for weakness

I think that takes an already fat pokemon line and makes it unworkable personally. Someone might be able to figure it out, but I don't see the 5 cards I could cut down to make a realistic 2-3 Eeveelution line happen. It would be possible to cut the Octillery line and maybe add another Oranguru instead (I have been using that a lot lately and it is pretty effective with my play style...definitely not a card for every deck though). After that, if you start cutting the energy or some of the trainers, I think this deck just doesn't get set up. Then you add in that Sharpedo is pretty light on hit points and all of it points to the Eevee line getting in the way more than helping this particular deck.

I am sure someone could come up with a list that makes it work. I don't think I could do it though. The list is already pretty fragile as it is.

Been playing sharpedo/dugtrio a little and here are some things i noticed. Manaphy ruins your strategy. As soon as it hits the bench any pokemon with water energy will only receive 60 damage. Same goes for float stone. Exp. Share is great for this deck i've found. Rough skin is an awesome ability. Really helps guarantee 1 shots, 2 shots and even ko's coming to your turn sometimes. I started out with octillery, but switched to oranguru and it kinda improved the deck's consistency (though it could just be my luck). I've mostly had really bad luck with this deck and haven't won much, but it definitely has potential to be a strong and fun budget deck.
One way to get around Manaphy would to run a 1-1 line of Alolan Muk. It might make the deck a bit clunkier, but it's definitely a way around Manaphy.

Back