General Boy Meets Moth

Discussion in 'Beachfront Hangout' started by Nekoban Ryo, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Nekoban Ryo Fake Card Artist, Moth Freak, Fossil/Shiny-Hunter
    Nekoban Ryo

Visually similar to the Fall Webworm Moth and almost impossible to distinguish with closed wings, the Virginian Tiger Moth (Yellow Woolly Bear Moth) is just slightly larger and has black dots down the back of its abdomen and yellow-orange patches on either side.

[​IMG]

Although not very colorful, the Tulip-Tree Beauty stands out in a crowd with its larger-than-average size.

[​IMG]

Thin-Winged Owlet
    [​IMG]

Southern Pine Sphinx, albeit a lightly-patterned (or worn) one.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018

2. Nekoban Ryo Fake Card Artist, Moth Freak, Fossil/Shiny-Hunter
    Nekoban Ryo

Not a new species for the list, but here's a Small-Eyed Sphinx that's more colorful than my previous encounters with them:

[​IMG]

- - -

EDIT: Here's a new one. The Asteroid (aka Goldenrod Hooded Owlet Moth) doesn't have much of a presence when fully at rest, but it's quite handsome when the tucked wings are raised flat or spread open. In flight, it almost looks like a small bird.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    GrandPanacea likes this.
  3. Nekoban Ryo Fake Card Artist, Moth Freak, Fossil/Shiny-Hunter
    Nekoban Ryo

Got a better pic of the Virginian Tiger Moth, open-winged and showing the pattern on its abdomen. I love when I'm able to get moths pics against natural backgrounds!

[​IMG]

And here's a female Isabella Tiger Moth from a few nights ago. Their hindwings are more vibrant than those of males.

[​IMG]

Some newer guys:
    Hitched Arches
    [​IMG]

Common Sprangueia
    [​IMG]

Obtuse Yellow
    [​IMG]

Yellow-Striped Armyworm Moth
    [​IMG]

Bicolored Pyrausta
    [​IMG]

Rustic Quaker
    [​IMG]

Pink-Barred Pseudeustrotia
    [​IMG]

Sooty-Winged Chalcoela (Elegant Grass Veneer to the right)
    [​IMG]

Bent-Line Carpet
    [​IMG]

Variable Tropic Moth
    [​IMG]

I removed some of the less-interesting moths from the first post to make room for others.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    GrandPanacea likes this.
  4. Nekoban Ryo Fake Card Artist, Moth Freak, Fossil/Shiny-Hunter
    Nekoban Ryo

Not a new moth, but check out the Clymene Moth with spread wings!

[​IMG]

GrandPanacea likes this.
  5. Nekoban Ryo Fake Card Artist, Moth Freak, Fossil/Shiny-Hunter
    Nekoban Ryo

A very dark Gray-Edged Bomolocha. Colors and clarity of their patterns vary. I thought the charred look of this one looked cool.

[​IMG]

Packard's Lichen Moth, a small but handsome species

[​IMG]

IT'S SO ORANGE! This is one of the Virbia-genus moths (I'm thinking Immaculate Holomelina, aka Plain-Winged Holomelina, but I'm not 100% certain). They're usually found resting with their wings tucked into their sides, hindwings hidden.

[​IMG]

And a Red Groundling Moth

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    GrandPanacea likes this.
  6. Nekoban Ryo Fake Card Artist, Moth Freak, Fossil/Shiny-Hunter
    Nekoban Ryo

Moth season seems to be coming to a close. I've had very few lepidopteran visitors over the past few nights. However, I have gotten some interesting September-October moths in the past, so hopefully I'll be able to share more new species this year. In the meantime, here are some more caterpillars!

Banded Tussock Moth caterpillar. Bug/Electric, anyone?
    [​IMG]

Smaller Parasa slug caterpillar (not a new species). Remove the hump and you'd have a baby tsuchinoko!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Black-Waved Flannel Moth caterpillar (not a new species). I love how it looks like a cottonweed in this shot!
    [​IMG]

Morning-Glory Prominent caterpillar. Contrary to the name, they don't feed on morning glories.
    [​IMG]

And another bagworm. Not sure which species, but it's rocking those lichens!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    GrandPanacea and DragonFang101 like this.
  7. Nekoban Ryo Fake Card Artist, Moth Freak, Fossil/Shiny-Hunter
    Nekoban Ryo

Explicit Arches. Always a pleasure seeing green hues on moths.

[​IMG]

Luna Moth caterpillar (5th instar). I've seen several adult Lunas, but this is my first time ever seeing its cat.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    GrandPanacea and Anime Psyclone like this.
  8. Nekoban Ryo Fake Card Artist, Moth Freak, Fossil/Shiny-Hunter
    Nekoban Ryo

Confused Dart/Subgothic Dart (close examination of the antennae is required to tell these two species apart)

[​IMG]

First new moth of September: Arcigera Flower Moth. At the right angle, the bars in the center of its wings appear pink.

[​IMG]

And here's another example of a Banded Tussock Moth caterpillar, showing how colors can vary. (If you see one with orangy-brown lashes, it's a Sycamore Tussock Moth. I reckon I've got a pic of one of those somewhere that I'll try to post later.) EDIT: Added the Sycamore Tussock Caterpillar below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  9. Nekoban Ryo Fake Card Artist, Moth Freak, Fossil/Shiny-Hunter
    Nekoban Ryo

Saddleback Caterpillar. These unique slug caterpillars are equipped with spines that deliver painful, lingering stings. I've heard about them my whole life but don't recall encountering any until today.

[​IMG]

Imerpial Moth Caterpillar. I think this is the largest caterpillar I've seen (about 3.5" long)!

[​IMG]

EDIT: And here's another Black-Waved Flannel Caterpillar. This one has discarded its wispy white coat. A good way to tell the difference between it and the more-dangerous Puss Caterpillar is to look for a tail (the Black-Waved Flannel doesn't have one).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    GrandPanacea and Anime Psyclone like this.
  10. Nekoban Ryo Fake Card Artist, Moth Freak, Fossil/Shiny-Hunter
    Nekoban Ryo

A relative of the Explicit Arches, the Implicit Arches Moth:

[​IMG]

Minty!

GrandPanacea likes this.
  11. Nekoban Ryo Fake Card Artist, Moth Freak, Fossil/Shiny-Hunter
    Nekoban Ryo

I'd heard of flightless females, but I had never stumbled across one until today. Here's a female White-Marked Tussock Moth laying her massive clutch of eggs on her former cocoon:

[​IMG]

How did all those eggs fit inside her!?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  12. Nekoban Ryo Fake Card Artist, Moth Freak, Fossil/Shiny-Hunter
    Nekoban Ryo

Only one more new adult, the Indigo Stem Borer Moth. As the name suggests, the larvae bore into the stems of wild indigo (as well as dogbane).

[​IMG]

Here's a Hitched Arches Caterpillar:

[​IMG]

And what appears to finally be an active Mini Bagworm (Confederate Microbagworm). I've seen a dozen of their cases over the past couple years, but never the caterpillar itself. This one's case is smaller than the others (0.8cm vs a 1.7cm average), but I assume that's because it's younger. It was found in the same location as the Mini Bagworm cases, so I think there's a good chance that it's the same species. (The only other grass-wearing bagworm I know of that should exist here is the Common/Grass Bagworm, which is smaller than the Mini Bagworm, but their strands of grass usually run the full length of the case.)

[​IMG]

Being the first bagworms I ever found evidence of, I've got a soft spot for Mini Bagworms.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    GrandPanacea likes this.
  13. Nekoban Ryo Fake Card Artist, Moth Freak, Fossil/Shiny-Hunter
    Nekoban Ryo

Just when I was starting to think that I wouldn't get anymore interesting moths this year, let alone new ones, I found that a cocoon I spotted on a fence a couple weeks ago had eclosed to reveal my first Dot-Lined White! The famous "Venezuelan Poodle Moth" is believed to belong to the same genus as this moth (Artace). Some suggest that it may even be the same species as the Dot-Lined White, or a subspecies.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    bbninjas and GrandPanacea like this.
  14. Nekoban Ryo Fake Card Artist, Moth Freak, Fossil/Shiny-Hunter
    Nekoban Ryo

The last few moths of September:

While the Meal Moth may be somewhat attractive, it's probably not someone you'd want to share your home with. Their caterpillars are known to feed on stored wheat products, such as flour and oatmeal. Fortunately, this one was found outside. In China, the frass (poop) of this moth's caterpillar is used to make "insect tea."

[​IMG]

Sharp-Stigma Looper
    [​IMG]

Spotted Beet Webworm Moth
    [​IMG]

And an Ash-Tip Borer. Probably my favorite borer moth I've seen. A bit more ornate than the Indigo Stem Borer.

[​IMG]

I also found this red caterpillar. I've yet to get an ID on it, but I'm guessing that it's one of the prominents that has changed colors because it's getting ready to pupate.

[​IMG]

Due to the 100-image limit, I've continued the list to post #3. I'll re-add those I removed from the list before sometime later. Done! Reckon I'll make it to 150?

In other news, those moth memes, eh?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    GrandPanacea likes this.
  15. GrandPanacea Thread Necromancer
    GrandPanacea

Forum Super Mod Badges Staff Chat Room Staff Advanced Member Member

That red caterpillar is beautiful!! That shade of red is absolutely gorgeous.

Those moth memes are certainly somethin', haha!!

16. Nekoban Ryo Fake Card Artist, Moth Freak, Fossil/Shiny-Hunter
    Nekoban Ryo

Added a bunch of older moth photos I neglected to upload, plus some newer ones. Here are a few highlights from this batch:

Curve-Toothed Geometer
    [​IMG]

Juniper Geometer
    [​IMG]

Small Bird Dropping Moth
    [​IMG]

The Gem
    [​IMG]

I also added a southern form of the Fall Webworm Moth (more spots) and updated the Colorful Zale pic.

Agreed. I'm not a big fan of red, but it reminds me of red velvet cake.

GrandPanacea likes this.
  17. GrandPanacea Thread Necromancer
    GrandPanacea

Forum Super Mod Badges Staff Chat Room Staff Advanced Member Member

Please don't eat the caterpillar. XD

18. Nekoban Ryo Fake Card Artist, Moth Freak, Fossil/Shiny-Hunter
    Nekoban Ryo

Don't worry, I'm not a big fan of chocolate. If I ate anything here, it'd probably be the Black-Bordered Lemon! (Kidding, of course. I'm a vegetarian!)

Another tiny Mini or Grass Bagworm showed up. It hasn't appeared to move for three or four days, so I'm guessing that it's pupating. Will I finally get to see my first bagworm moth? (From what I gather, it seems that Mini Bagworm females emerge as winged adults, but Grass Bagworm females, like many other bagworm species, do not.)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  19. Luplayz Ya done messed up.
    Luplayz

20. Anime Psyclone Steamed APples
    Anime Psyclone

weird glitch going on where I can't see the images

Viewing Now: 0 Members + 0 Guests

There are no registered members viewing this forum. Why not register here and start a discussion?

Moderated By

GrandPanacea, Juliacoolo, Tails