Boundaries Crossed Ditto: what's the point?

MrSquarepants

Heavenly Illusion Star
At first I thought the strategy is to copy an EX and if it gets knocked out, your opponent takes only one prize and your EX returns to your hand. Instead my Keldeo got discarded along with Ditto and the CP took two prizes.

What is the point of playing this card then?

This was tested by TCG online

It works in decks where you play multiple basics so you can fake out your opponent and not know what Ditto is going to become.

And since this is not a rulings question, this topic should go in BW-On Competitive Play. I'll ask for it to be moved there.

As DNA said it, it's mainly a bluff card. It can be great, it can be a free-prize for your opponent. It's actually really cool in eels, for example

I've also seen it used in ray-eels cause its base hp is higher, but TBH id probs just play ray-eels normally and not have a ditto but it can be done.

the point of ditto is that it can sub out for evolving basics. If ditto's been out for a turn, I can play down a Tynamo on to it and immediately evolve that into an Eel. Ditto is considerably harder to donk than a lot of thinks like tynamo, so it can be used as a starter.

To have it 1 turn and put on top of it an evolving basic to immediately evolve. Also if you have basic Pokemon that use the same energy for attacking, you might get Ditto up and play the other Pokemon when your opponent doesn't expects it.

SheNinja said:
But what if they do >30 damage to Ditto? What will you do then (playing Eels)?

This is why Ditto is nearly useless in an Eels list. You get donked by Lando anyway.
You're better off freeing up spots for search.

Like What DNA said, Running ditto is good if you are playing with more then just 1 type of basic pokemon that evolves.

Ditto is like "Husk" from Generation X

Thank you for the insight everyone. It's still hard for me to believe this card is a holo rare but its not completely useless. But he won't be going back into decks anytime soon.

SheNinja said:
But what if they do >30 damage to Ditto? What will you do then (playing Eels)?

If they do more than 30, just bench the Tynamo normally.

I'm a big fan of it in one deck in particular. It is VERY good in Gothitelle/Accelgor- it gives you a placeholder to play a basic and evolve the same turn, it gives you bench freedom in a deck that cannot afford to bench too many of one thing lest you can't fit in a crucial piece, and it lets you Deck and Cover with Accelgor>Mew in a worst case scenario and still recover.

^It is good in the deck, I've tested it; but it's not good enough to warrant one or two of the deck's few spaces.

Adding on, with Flareon/Cofagrigus/Ditto/Audino floating around now, I thought I should add that Ditto can be used as a way of getting additional pokemon in the discard via normal KOs or Six Feet Under.

That really wouldn't work super well since you're using Life Dew, so it kinda defeats the purpose.

Back