Discussion Blaziken DAA 024

Yog

Rogue
I have been tinkering with this card of late.

7ZmIXUm.jpg

It's got a great dual-typing for the current Standard meta as both Fire & Fighting - that hits Zacian, Pikarom, Eternatus, etc. for weakness. Thanks to it's attach effect, & the existing fire support, it streams pretty easily compared to most Stage 2s. To be clear, I'm not expecting it to be a world beater, but it's good fun on the PTCGO ladder for the decks that constantly churn.

However, the critical flaw here is that hitting for 130 (260 for weakness) is just a few damage counters short in many cases. I am looking for suggestions on how to build it to get any extra 10-60 damage out when required, but trying to avoid compromising the deck's favourable prize trade, and fire-based engine.

I've had the most success so far using a 2-2 line of Roast Reveal Salazzle (UnB 31) as support, but this build lacks the extra damage output I'd like. Using a tool like Vitality Band (+10 damage) or Burning Scarf (at least +20) is the straightforward bump, but it's not enough / requires the opponent to hit you.

Any YouTube builds tend to mention Zigzagoon & Scoop-up, which works with a Jirachi engine instead, but seems like they were just phoning in a deck in order to meet their quota and cover the card on release. That leads you down a path of no welder, reliance on twin energy, the Hearth stadium being of little use, and making it harder to stream the Stage 2s you need. You'll see Oricorio brought in here too, which now means a GX and moving away from the Prize trade you are aiming to win.

If I was adding a GX, then Volcarona with the snipe ticks a lot of boxes - the snipe for damage, the cycling of energy. But it's GX and another line in the deck.

I've considered 2-0-2 Incineroar (UnB 29) that adds +30 to all attacks, but it's very clunky.

Changing the build entirely, and combining it with some fighting base would open the door to Martial Arts Dojo - +40 damage would be amazing. I've not tried it yet, as it seems a terrible idea on the surface.

Any thoughts on other ways to add some extra damage? In theory any Fire or Fighting or Colorless support could help here. If only Diancie Prism were still Standard.

Yog

Rogue
The upcoming Leon supporter card could work here, but it is a Supporter, and takes away from using Welder etc. Maybe combining it with Lt Surge could be the ticket.

(During this turn, your Pokémon's attacks do 30 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance). )