Blastoise / Keldeo EX / Black Kyurem EX

Blah

DBT
Use this thread for all discussion of the Keldeo EX/Blastoise deck. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means of adding to the discussion. Don't post decklists here for advice.

All discussion not related to Keldeo EX/Blastoise will be moved or deleted. All shallow or uninformed discussion will also be deleted by the mods.

Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 11
  • 4 Squirtle BCR
  • 3 Blastoise BCR
  • 2 Keldeo EX
  • 2 Black Kyurem EX PLS
Trainers: 30
  • 4 N
  • 3 Professor Juniper
  • 3 Skyla
  • 1 Colress
  • 4 Rare Candy
  • 4 Superior Energy Retrieval
  • 5 Ball Items (Ultra Ball / Level Ball / Heavy Ball)
  • 2 Professor's Letter
  • 3 Tropical Beach
  • 1 Dowsing Machine
Energy: 10
  • 8 Water
  • 2 Lightning

Free Spots: 9

Good Additions:
  • Electrode PLF
  • Druddigon FLF
  • Suicune PLB / Sigilyph DRX
  • Wartortle
  • Surprise Megaphone
  • Lysandre / Pokémon Catcher
  • More Supporters
  • More Black Kyurem EX / Keldeo EX

RE: Keldeo EX/Blastoise

Keldeo/Blastoise can be one of if not the strongest deck in the format if built correctly. IMO the single most important thing to making a successful Keldeo/Blastoise deck is running at least 2 Mewtwo EX. Mewtwo is one of the two major downfalls of this deck, and the best counter to a Mewtwo is obviously Mewtwo. The other big factor in the success of this deck is consistency. I have seen players running this deck in tournaments in two spots in the standings at the end, T4 and not even close. This all comes down to consistency. If you can get a T2 or T3 Blastoise and flow energy then this deck can be virtually unstoppable. If not, then chances are you will have a bad experience with this deck.

I agree with you completely. Consistency is huge in this deck, and it's also one of the reasons why this deck is extremely difficult to build. You have to have a proper balance between focus on getting the Blastoise up and focus on getting energy throughout the game. That balance is extremely difficult to achieve which is why I think this deck is going to be a menace at Regionals when all the good players have perfected their lists.

I lost in T4 last weekend to a list that was perfect. I watched him top 4 every tournament he played in to. He ran DCE as well. Its ruthless when you have a 4 energy benched mewtwo because you can load up a keldeo as high as you want without any worry. This deck is IMO the strongest deck in the format but it must be built to perfection which is not easy to do by any means. A well built Keldeo list scares me more than any other deck out there. The Grass weakness just seals the deal on Keldeo. There really isn't a strong enough grass Pokemon/combo/deck with the ability to stop Keldeo once its set up. That's where Tropical Beach becomes so important in this deck. I'm starting to test this deck and hopefully I will find that balance.

I've beginning to test this also; if you wouldn't mind, could you post your list? I'm curious to see how other people are building theirs.

I believe there's a third factor: the mirror matchup. You have to build a near perfect list to be competitive against the mirror. There's three major things you need when building a list. You need consistency, a Sigilyph counter, and energy. Consistency is one of the hardest things to keep in this deck. For just Pokemon you have to have: 3-4 Squirtles, 0-2 Wartortles, 3-4 Blastiose, 2-3 Keldeo, 2 Mewtwo, and 0-2 Sigilyph counters. Sigilyph is a big problem for this deck. You don't won't to attack with Blastiose. The problem is that these are just more cards that wreck consistency. You could run Keldeo #47 as it as most people do. The problem is that's just one matchup that you probably won't see. You also need alot of energy when building this deck. 12 can be a decent number, 13 is good enough without sacrificing consistency, 14 is a good number if you have space, but 15 is too much. That's 1/4 of your deck.

Bo$$_89 said:
I believe there's a third factor: the mirror matchup. You have to build a near perfect list to be competitive against the mirror. There's three major things you need when building a list. You need consistency, a Sigilyph counter, and energy. Consistency is one of the hardest things to keep in this deck. For just Pokemon you have to have: 3-4 Squirtles, 0-2 Wartortles, 3-4 Blastiose, 2-3 Keldeo, 2 Mewtwo, and 0-2 Sigilyph counters. Sigilyph is a big problem for this deck. You don't won't to attack with Blastiose. The problem is that these are just more cards that wreck consistency. You could run Keldeo #47 as it as most people do. The problem is that's just one matchup that you probably won't see. You also need alot of energy when building this deck. 12 can be a decent number, 13 is good enough without sacrificing consistency, 14 is a good number if you have space, but 15 is too much. That's 1/4 of your deck.
4 keldeo or go home IMO

Blah said:
I've beginning to test this also; if you wouldn't mind, could you post your list? I'm curious to see how other people are building theirs.
I just started but once I get something good going I will pm it to you. I will also have 2 cities next weekend to test against.

QWERTY DITTO said:
Bo$$_89 said:
4 keldeo or go home IMO

I disagree. There just isn't any need IMO for any more or less than 3. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt, however this is the most tight spaced, finnicky deck that we have seen in a long time. It also has the ability to be very good, or very bad all depending on what your list looks like.

Here's my list, Blah:

3 Keldeo EX
4-0-3 Blastoise
2 Mewtwo EX
1 Bouffalant DRX
------------------------ 13 Pokemon
--------------------------------------------
1 Computer Search
4 Energy Retrieval
1 Level Ball
3 Max Potion
4 Pokemon Catcher
4 Rare Candy
1 Super Rod
1 Tool Scraper
3 Ultra Ball
3 Bianca
4 N
3 Professor Juniper
3 Skyla
--------------------------- 35 T/S/S/
-----------------------------------------
12 Water Energy
---------------------- 12 Energy
-------------------------------------

Keldeo/Blastoise is, IMO, without a doubt the BDIF. If you have the right build, it's amazingly consistent for a stage-2 deck. It can also be very versatile with techs. I've seen Bouffalant DRX, Kyurem NV, Kyurem EX, Keldeo BC #47, and even Ability Roserade as techs in different lists.

A few questions: What is better in this deck Tool Scrapper or Kyurem? I've used both (but not at the same time) and I'm starting to think Kyurem is better. At the Cities I went to 2 days ago, I went 2-3 with this list, if I had ran Kyurem like I was originally, I would've went 4-1. I replaced it with Tool Scrapper in fear of Garbodor. Big mistake. Only 2 people in my area play it and I didn't go against either of them.

How many Energy? I've been switching between 12 and 13 when I use different builds. I prefer 12, but I feel like I need the 13th sometimes.

Should DCE be ran?

I like the Max Potion idea; I've been considering it but I've always felt like I don't have the space.

As for Kyurem or Tool Scrapper, I don't think either of them are necessary. Garbodor isn't popular (as you said) and Kyurem often ends up being dead weight because you're going to want to be attacking with Keldeo a majority of the time. I haven't tested Kyurem, so I can't be certain, but having that 13th or 14th energy is much more important.

As for DCE, I run 11 water and 3 DCE. It's awesome for early attacking with Mewtwo or even getting Keldeo charged T2 when you can't get a Blastoise up. Not only that, but it can also turn Mewtwo into a monster mid-late game when you need to snag an OHKO on something. Darkrai decks gets hit really hard if you can OHKO a Darkrai when they don't expect it. It also turns Mewtwo into more of a main attacker rather than just a tech, which helps remedy the problems with opposing Mewtwos, who is this deck's worst nightmare.

DCE is good with to set up a mewtwo on the bench. 4 Energy Retrieval might be a bit much don't you think? I would run probably 3

I run 4 Retrieval also, it's a great means of acceleration and it makes discarding waters a good strategy early game.

exdarkrai01 said:
DCE is good with to set up a mewtwo on the bench. 4 Energy Retrieval might be a bit much don't you think? I would run probably 3

I run 4 because of Max Potion. First you use Max Potion, then Energy Retrieval. Boom. All that damage on Keldeo is gone and you can still attack that turn. I prefer this over SSU because having to flip head all the time sucks.

Hmm I could see that. I know in previous testing it was really good I just didn't think it was a 4 of. I will test that out.

Brave Vesperia said:
exdarkrai01 said:

I run 4 because of Max Potion. First you use Max Potion, then Energy Retrieval. Boom. All that damage on Keldeo is gone and you can still attack that turn. I prefer this over SSU because having to flip head all the time sucks.
That's a good point. Super Energy Retrieval will make Max Potion strong in Keldeo lists.

My list is not very tight, and i can fit a forth keldeo and it saves games. I wouldn't play this deck without 4 keldeo

Run tropical beach, makes wonders to this deck, trust me got top 8 with it, and i lost to a mirror match, you get t2 blastoise 80% of the time, you negate N and get more consistency, also i agree with 4 retreival being too much as you can get an opening hand with 2 and early game you just don´t need them.

As for tool scrapper I know garbodor is there, but if you learn to deal with him, you 'll be fine, your deck hits harder in an turn per turn attachment.

Also a good tech is pokecenter, so you just rush in heal, then rush in again, and to negate darkrai bench damage (add to bouffalant ability when needed and you get a nice bull) + dont get to discard energy all the time just for negating a turn 2 prize K.O

One last tip, run 3 or 2 N, he just hurts blastoise more than it helps it, run 4 bianca or cheren and 4 juni, 3 skyla is too much, with 2 you re fine.

hop it helps :)

Don't forget to run a Heavy Ball. I mean.... it sure beats having to use Ultra Ball to get out a Blastoise.

Here is a list I made for a *senior* here:
4-1-3 Blastoise
3 KeldeoEX
1 MewtwoEX
1-1 Musharna [BC-NXD]
1 Regular Keldeo

12 Water

4 Rare Candy
4 Skyla
4 Cheren
3 Professor Juniper
3 Ultra Ball
3 Energy Retrieval
3 Super Scoop Up
2 Level Ball
2 N
2 Tropical Beach
1 Super Rod
1 Gold Potion
1 Heavy Ball

Yeah... i agree with N, but first, your list needs 4 catcher and less skyla, too much or her means you dont have enough draw power, and then youll be in trouble trying to figure out if attack with your keldeo or just tropical beach for more cards. 2 level ball is too much as 4 squirtles are likely to come out, and you have either one level or ultra to get him out.

And SSU what to say about it.. sigh .., it works awesome in a perfect world, but i assure you that 75% of time youll get tails, ive seen and had matches where you flip 4 tails, then you have 4 useless cards, even though i know getting one is good and may be game changer , but its better to have max potion that is certain to heal, and also works with your blastoise if it gets catchered and dmged.

Also i´ve found out that munna/ musharna just makes you inconsistent, I know its popular and many decks run it, but that doesn´t mean its good even if you get keldeo to rush in and get off that sleep, it just takes critical space in your deck where you can run more suporters and energy.

hope it helps :)

Back