TCG Fakes Blah's Text-Based Fakes (With Some Image-Based) - Looking for Another Artist!

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
So... how do I go about getting the thread name changed? I'd like it to be 'Blah's Text Based Fakes (With some art) (Looking for another artist)'

I don't want this to die, so I've started up again making some cards.

09758baaf0.png

The art is temporary; it'll be replaced soon. And now that I look at it, it seems that the text is too small...

I've also made a basic pixel art representation of Spikinit:
b81007716b.png

And I'm still having trouble with the fonts, lol. I can't remember what font is used for what since it's been so long.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
So... how do I go about getting the thread name changed? I'd like it to be 'Blah's Text Based Fakes (With some art) (Looking for another artist)'

At the top of the thread to the right, look at the dropdown menu "Thread Tools" for the option "Edit Thread". You should be able to edit your thread's title there. :)

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
And I'm still having trouble with the fonts, lol. I can't remember what font is used for what since it's been so long.
Before your start, take a look at our Faking Resources and Guide, especially this tutorial! This software-nonspecific guide lists the fonts that should be used where (although the size and position will be different depending on the blank). Speaking of which, to be quite honest, Paint.net may not be a great option for making realistic and good-looking image-based fakes because it is quite limited. You might like to take a look at GIMP, a free software that has the capabilities pretty close to things like Photoshop, that a lot of fakers use to make cards.

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
I've used GIMP before, but to be honest I really don't like it. I'm much more used to Paint.NET. I can try GIMP again. Maybe the reason I don't like GIMP is because I haven't used it enough.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Yeah, GIMP can be difficult to get your head around when you first take a look at it. Perhaps you should take a look at some GIMP tutorials for beginners to start off getting to know the software?

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
Alright, I've done two more (still in Paint.NET, but I plan to dive into GIMP soon):
Leaplum.png

Tangralive.png

Tangralive is my first holosheet attempt, how does it look?

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
These look pretty good! With the holosheets, just make sure it isn't poking out on the corners. =P

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
Wow, I didn't even realize it did that xD. I'll go and fix that.

EDIT: I just took another look at Tangralive... and realized that the text for the ability might need to be reworked. Should it say something like, "As long as this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon, your opponent's Pokemon pay [C] more to attack." or "As long as this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon, the Defending Pokemon pays [C] more to attack." ?

double o squirtle

Sweet Summer Child
Wow, I didn't even realize it did that xD. I'll go and fix that.

EDIT: I just took another look at Tangralive... and realized that the text for the ability might need to be reworked. Should it say something like, "As long as this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon, your opponent's Pokemon pay [C] more to attack." or "As long as this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon, the Defending Pokemon pays [C] more to attack." ?
Using Trevenant BKP, I'd say this:

As long as this is your Active Pokemon, the attacks of your opponent's Pokemon cost [C] more.

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
I just realized I forgot the 'Evolves from Tangrowth' line. Gonna go add that and fix the holosheet corners. Already fixed the Ability text.

EDIT: Fixed.

M9dCSO1.png

Last edited:

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
Alright, I just realized I have no set logo or set symbol. Is there anyone willing to make something like that? I'll see if I can do something in the meantime.

EDIT: I'd also love if someone could go through the multiple spoilers and check for misspellings/grammar issues/other stuff.

I've edited it recently, adding the Colorless types.

Last edited:

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
Came up with a new Special Condition called Energized. Tell me if this is OP:

Energized Special Condition:
Flip 2 coins between turns. If both are tails, switch the Energized Pokémon with 1 of your Benched Pokémon, or if it is 1 of your Benched Pokémon, switch it with your Active Pokémon. (This Special Condition can affect Benched Pokémon).

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I think that's an interesting condition idea! I think it would probably work better as a marker that can be placed by a limited number of attacks, instead of as a more generic Special Condition, since Special Conditions can't actually affect Benched Pokemon. (I know that you said that this one can affect Benched Pokemon, but it's still a bit clunky. :p )

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
Hmm... Yeah, you're probably right. I'll change it to that instead.

Anyway... I've just made a start on a Sunshine-type blank, but it's at low-res (420x590), and I've been making my cards at 734x1024. Here's the 420x590 blank:
sunshine small.png

I used ShiningBill's BW Textureless card template, Nod3rator's Flying-type background (rotated 180 degrees and at 95/255 opacity), and the Dragon type background. Here's the Sunshine orb:
Sunshine Type Orb 2.png

I'm not even sure if I want this to be the final product yet, so I'll still be looking around for other options.

Last edited:

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
Update! I've completed the Basic Sunshine Blank at hi-res.

Sunshine Basic Blank.png

I hope I haven't forgotten something. I had to manually type the W/R/R text in, and the silver lines at the bottom as well as the Pokedex entry box are lifted from another card blank.

I just noticed the background is peeking through on the left side of the card o.o. I wonder how that happened.

EDIT: Anyone know of a good stage 1/2 textureless blank? It doesn't have to be hi-res; I can scale it up.

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
Another update; I've reworked a few of the cards. Here are the key cards I've reworked:

Card 114: Fasgia (130 HP) - R
Basic Pokémon
Ability - Plasma Burn: When the Special Condition Burned is placed on any of your opponent's Pokémon, it can't be removed by Trainer cards or by evolving or devolving that Pokémon.
[R] [R] [R] [R] Plasma 90
The Defending Pokémon is now Burned.
Weakness: [W] x2
Resistance: [L] -20
Retreat: 3

Card 117: Lasarat-EX (190 HP) - RH
Basic Pokémon
Ability - Light Form: Each of your [L] Pokémon has no Weakness.
[L] [L] [C] [C] Knockout Beam
Flip 2 coins. If 1 is tails, this attack does 70 damage. If both are heads, your opponent’s Active Pokémon is Knocked Out.
Weakness: [D] x2
Resistance: [W] -20
Retreat: 2

Card 71: Unown Q (70 HP) - R
Basic Pokémon
Ability - Quicken: When you play this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench, you may put 3 damage counters on each of your opponent's Pokémon. You may use this Ability only once per turn.
Ability - Rooted: This Pokémon can't be returned to your hand by the effect of any Trainer card.
[P] [C] Hidden Power 70-
Does 70 damage minus 10 damage for each damage counter on this Pokémon.
Weakness: [P] x2
Resistance: None

Card 116: Lasarat (130 HP) - RH
Basic Pokémon
Ability – Overcharge: Whenever this Pokémon is damaged by an attack (even your own), flip a coin. If heads, put an Energized marker on the Attacking Pokémon.
[L] [L] [L] [L] Swift 100
During your next turn, this Pokémon can't use Swift.
Resistance: [W] -20
Retreat: 1

Card 120: Lickilicky-EX (170 HP) - RR
Basic Pokémon
Ability - Paralysis Aura: If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon and is damaged by your opponent's attack (even if this Pokémon is Knocked Out), flip a coin. If heads, the Attacking Pokémon is now Paralyzed. (That Pokémon remains Paralyzed until the end of your opponent's next turn.)
[C] [C] [C] Wrap Dance 80x
Flip 3 coins. This attack does 80 damage times the number of heads. This Pokémon is now Paralyzed. (It remains Paralyzed until the end of your next turn.)
Weakness: [F] x2

Card 125: Triplicos (100 HP) - RH
Basic Pokémon
λ Disrupt - Whenever this Pokémon is inflicted with a Special Condition, flip a coin. If heads, the Attacking Pokémon is affected by the same Special Conditions.
Ability - Duplication: As long as this Pokémon's HP is above half, it has double its base HP. (When this Pokémon's HP drops below half its displayed HP, heal from this Pokémon the amount equal to half its displayed HP.)
[C] Echo 70
Resistance: [Y] -20
Retreat: 1

Card 126: City of Revulsion - R
Trainer - Stadium Card
Both Active Pokémon can’t retreat.

Are any of these too... OP/worded weirdly/whatever? I'm sure I've made some mistakes... :/.

Also... this one is VEEERY wordy:
Card 134: Trifold Basin – R
Trainer - Stadium Card
The maximum number of Stadium cards that can be in play is now 3 (including this card).
(The first Stadium card to enter play after Trifold Basin comes into play leaves play if a 4th Stadium card comes into play.)

And... I really need some feedback or ideas. Anyone want to request a type of mechanic to introduce? Anything at all? xD.

(Lasarat, Lasarat-EX, and Fasgia are Sunshine type, not Lightning. It looks too similar >_<)

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I've taken an in-depth look at each of your cards and here's some wording and power comments! ^-^

Fasgia's Plasma Burn can be worded a bit differently [Ref: Heatran Lv.X]:

Your opponent can’t remove the Special Condition Burn using Trainer cards or by evolving or devolving his or her Burned Pokémon.
Just as a note, you don't need to add a "(This also includes putting a Pokémon Level-Up card onto the Burned Pokémon.)" clause because BREAK Pokemon say "evolve from" on the card, instead of "put on" that Lv.Xs used.

For Lasarat-EX's Knockout Beam, was it your intention that if you flip two tails, the attack does nothing, or was it if you flip at least 1 tails, the attack does 70 damage? It's currently worded the latter, but just checking. =P

Unown's Hidden Power should say "This attack does [...]" and instead of "even your own", while the "You may use the Ability only once per turn" clause should be rewritten as "You can’t use more than 1 Quicken Ability each turn". On the note for Unown, I do think Quicken is a bit too powerful. Even with the abundance of restrictions you've got going there, you can play four Unown in four turns and get 120 damage on each Pokemon extremely easily. If you haven't won by that stage, you can just move all the damage counters around for the KO. I'd suggest dropping the output down to 1 damage counter tops, if you can only use 1 "Quicken" Ability per turn. The other thing is that a smart deck designer can still get around the Rooted Ability. I just need to "turn off" Abilities, use a Super Scoop Up and then "turn on" Abilities again, and then you can replay Unown for more spread damage.

Lasarat's Overcharge Ability, you should write "both yours and your opponent's".

Fun fact! You don't actually need the following clause: "(That Pokémon remains Paralyzed until the end of your opponent's next turn.)" in your Lickilicky-EX. It's not very well known, but Paralysis is only resolved at the end of a player's turn if the Pokemon was Paralyzed before the start of that player's turn. Power-wise, I think the Ability and the attack combined on Lickilicky-EX is too much. You can construct your deck around Paralysis (and perhaps use a nifty Chaos Tower to prevent it, or switching to remove the Special Condition), however your opponent may not be as fortunate. I think that Wrap Dance should be dropped to 30x and then Lickilicky wouldn't need to be Paralysed after using the attack.

I think Triplicos' Disrupt Ancient Trait should be written as [Ref: Hawlucha-EX, Snorlax EVO]:

If this Pokémon is affected by a Special Condition by the effects of an opponent's attack (even if this Pokémon is Knocked Out), flip a coin. If heads, the Attacking Pokémon is affected by the same Special Condition."
I'm not sure what you're trying to do with Duplication, since if you double it's printed HP and then heal damage when it's printed HP drops below half, you still have to deal the same amount of damage. In fact, it becomes a bit too powerful they way you've written it, since you can just heal back to more than half remaining HP and get an extra 150 HP effectively for free. Triplico's Echo attack is also too powerful, as doing 70 damage for a single [C] Energy is unheard of. 30 damage would be the cap for a single, effect-less [C] Energy.

This is how I would word Trifold Basin (which is a very neat idea, by the way!) [Ref: Sky Field]:

There can be 3 Stadium cards in play (including this card).

(If another Stadium card comes into play and if there are already 3 Stadiums cards in play, discard the first Stadium card to come into play after this card came into play.)
Right now, the only way Trifold Basin can be removed from play is through an attack, Ability, Supporter card or Item card. I think this is a bit too powerful, and I think that Trifold Basin should be removed from play if four or more Stadium cards are put into play. If you go this route, then the clause in the brackets should be: "(If this card would leave play, discard all Stadium cards in play.)"

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
Hmm... I knew I made some errors xD.

1. I'll change Fasgia.
2. My intent with Lasarat-EX's Knockout Beam was to have at least 1 tails do only 70 (I originally had this at 50, but I figure that's a tad too low for an EX), and 2 heads KO.
3. Unown... I do see your point. I'll drop it to 1 damage counter.
4. For the baby Lasarat, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Do you mean the '(even your own)' part? If so, that would be kind of weird wording. o_O
5. Interesting. I didn't know that. And yeah, I don't know really what I was thinking when I put 80x.
6. Triplicos' Ancient Trait - I might change the name to Synchronize (to hint at the VG Ability), but the wording looks a lot better.
7. Triplicos' Ability - Yeah, I know. I was trying to be inventive with how I created Triplicos to be, and its ability to 'duplicate' itself in battle by creating holograms of itself to confuse the opponent. But... I can't think of anything else that would well represent this. Hmm... Maybe...
Ability - Duplication: Whenever this Pokémon is damaged by your opponent's attack, flip 3 coins. If at least 1 is heads, reduce that damage by half (rounded down to the nearest 10). If all 3 are heads, prevent that damage.
8. Echo's damage - Yeah, I'll lower it to 30. Or maybe make it [C][C] and 40-60 damage. Not sure yet.
9. Trifold Basin - Yep, it's one thing I think the TCG is missing. The wording you have is much better. Not sure if I want to make it less powerful, but I do see your point about being a tad on the OP side. I'll give it some thought.

Thanks for reviewing the cards :D. I'll edit some more when I have some time, hopefully it'll be soon.

I also just realized the I forgot to update the W/R on the Sunshine type cards xD. I'm thinking W to Dragon and R to Fairy. Not sure if that'll be final though. Unfortunately I just ALSO realized that if you expand the VG types into single-letter abbreviations, all the letters in 'Sunshine' are taken. So maybe I'll do [T] for Sunshine Energy, or make them like Dragon types.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
4. For the baby Lasarat, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Do you mean the '(even your own)' part? If so, that would be kind of weird wording. o_O
Yeah, I do mean the "(even your own)" part. "Both your and your opponent's" is the standard wording. :p

7. Triplicos' Ability - Yeah, I know. I was trying to be inventive with how I created Triplicos to be, and its ability to 'duplicate' itself in battle by creating holograms of itself to confuse the opponent. But... I can't think of anything else that would well represent this. Hmm... Maybe...
Ability - Duplication: Whenever this Pokémon is damaged by your opponent's attack, flip 3 coins. If at least 1 is heads, reduce that damage by half (rounded down to the nearest 10). If all 3 are heads, prevent that damage.
That effect doesn't really remind me of Duplication, unfortunately. A lot of Duplication effects are simple "Search your deck for XXX Pokemon and put it on your Bench." If you want to make it more interesting, you could do a "If any damage is done to this Pokémon by attacks, flip a coin. If heads, discard 1 of your Triplicos in play and prevent that damage. (If you can't discard a Triplicos in play, you can't use this Ability.)".

8. Echo's damage - Yeah, I'll lower it to 30. Or maybe make it [C][C] and 40-60 damage. Not sure yet.
I'd say [C][C] for 40, 50 or 60 would be better.

Otherwise, the rest looks good! Also, there isn't a in the TCG right now, so you could use that for Sunshine. If not, perhaps an "O" since it sorta replicates the Sun?

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah, I do mean the "(even your own)" part. "Both your and your opponent's" is the standard wording. :p

That effect doesn't really remind me of Duplication, unfortunately. A lot of Duplication effects are simple "Search your deck for XXX Pokemon and put it on your Bench." If you want to make it more interesting, you could do a "If any damage is done to this Pokémon by attacks, flip a coin. If heads, discard 1 of your Triplicos in play and prevent that damage. (If you can't discard a Triplicos in play, you can't use this Ability.)".

I'd say [C][C] for 40, 50 or 60 would be better.

Otherwise, the rest looks good! Also, there isn't a [S] in the TCG right now, so you could use that for Sunshine. If not, perhaps an "O" since it sorta replicates the Sun?

Weird. That wording just doesn't make sense to me xD.

The reason it reminds me of duplication is because of the way I 'invented' Triplicos' duplicating. It essentially makes 2 copies of itself (2 copies plus the real thing makes 3, hence the 3 coins); this means that the opponent has a 2 in 3 chance of hitting the wrong target. I guess I kinda morphed it around and made it work better in coin flips, and in doing that I made it not make much sense. Lol.

Also, the layout I came up with for the single-letter abbreviations is:
Grass
fiRe
Water
eLectric
Psychic
dragoN
fairY
C
olorless/normal
Fighting
rOck
gHost
Metal/steel
Dark
Bug
icE
poiSon
flyIng
groUnd
So both S and O are taken ._. I just realized that Rock could be K. So I could use O for Sunshine :D.

Anyway, here are a couple more that I've edited:

Card 75: Deoxys-EX (180 HP) - RH
Basic Pokémon
Ability – DNA Surge: Whenever your opponent plays a Trainer card from his or her hand, put 1 damage counter on each of your opponent’s Pokémon.
[P] [P] [C] Helix Link 50
Weakness: [P] x2
Resistance:

Card 90: Armaldo (130 HP) – U
Stage 1 Pokémon/Evolves from Anorith
[F] [F] [F] Strike of the Champion
If the Defending Pokémon is a Basic Pokémon, it is Knocked Out. (If the Defending Pokémon is an Evolved Pokémon, this attack does nothing.)
[C] [C] [C] [C] [C] Disaster Strike 100
Discard 2 Energy attached to the Defending Pokémon.
Weakness: [G] x2
Retreat: 5
(With this one^, I just want to know if it's OP, or if it's just fine. Lol.)

Card 113: Sunfauna (120 HP) - R
Stage 2 Pokémon/Evolves from Sunflora
Ability - Leaf Gain: During your turn, you may attach 2 Energy to any of your Pokémon.
[G] [G] [R] Solar Drain 80+
Does 10 more damage for each Pokémon you have in play that has an Ability. Heal from this Pokémon the amount equal to the damage you did to the Defending Pokémon.
Weakness: [N] x2
Resistance: [Y] -20

And I just had a sneaky idea to fix the Rooted Ability on Unown. Make Rooted an Ancient Trait :D.

Completed Stage 1/2 Blanks for Sunshine-type:
HiRes Stage1 Blank.png
HiRes Stage2 Blank.png

EDIT: Which type orb?
Sunshine Type Orb 2.png
Sunshine Type Orb.png
Sunshine Type Orb 3.png
(if #3, then I'd redo it to look much better. It was just quickly thrown together xD)

Last edited: