Blah's 2013-2014 Season. Check back during Nats weekend for updates! (and make some predictions befo

Blah

DBT
Plasma Blast Prerelease

Relatively unexciting before the event began. I met some people there, played a few games with Trubbish, won most of them, and we take out seats to open our packs

I pull absolute crap:
Masquerein
Sawk
Porygon Z
Suicune
Catilin x2
Juniper x1
Rare Candy x2
Energy Retrieval x1

Yeaaaahhh...that's about it. I build something along the lines of Porygon-Z/Glalie/Sawk/Kangaskhan/Suicune and go into the tournament.

Round 1 vs. Haxorus/Stuff

I get a off to a shaky start, meanwhile gets an early Usraing and starts bashing through everything. I manage to take it out with Sawk, but his Reversal Trigger activates, and he proceeds to build up a gigantic Haxorus and starts sweeping through me. I somehow manage to KO that by sleeping it for an absurd amount of turns with Snorunt, but he gets a Suicune out, and I go into an energy drought and eventually just lose.

0-1

Round 2 vs. Genesect EX/Kangaskhan/Stuff

This was hilarious. We both start Kangaskhan and I get to Call for Family first. I grab a Porygon and a Snorunt. He proceeds to grab his Genesect EX, smiling because he thinks I don't stand a chance. I proceed to grab Suicune. The game goes back and forth with Kangaskhan KO's but I eventually move up Suicune, and since he has no energy on the field, he has no way to deal with it. I burn through most of his attackers and he doesn't stand a chance even though he has a powered up Genesect. I eventually just win after attacking for a while.

1-1

Round 2 vs. Kangaskhan/Stuff

I basically sweep through him with Kangaskhan. I don't really get to see much of his deck because whiffs energy for the entirety of the game.

2-1

I get my last two packs and once again pull complete crap, except for a Catcher. Oh well, I can't get lucky at every Prerelease, right? The annoying part is that the TO doesn't have enough packs to run a draft, so that's the end of the event.

...but hold on, there's a catch. Since she isn't running a draft, the TO has a bunch of packs left over and gives out 1 to every person. I open it up, not expecting much. I order the cards, go through the pack, and get absolutely nothing. I get up the RH, and the pack was pretty much filled with unplayable cards. Pretty bummed out, I reveal the last card...

Full art Genesect EX. I win.

Props:
FA Genesect
Pack wars
Trubbish

Slops:
No Bangle >:0
No Mirror
Utter crap except for one card
Nobody wanting to trade

PA Regionals

I don't want to give a gigantic intro since there's not much to say, but I unfortunately didn't have much time to prepare for this event. School work has been bogging me down and I've had little to no free time. I was stressing out a few days beforehand, but I ended up going with Virizion/Mewtwo/Bouffalant because I liked the consistency and it had a very solid Darkrai matchup, something I knew was gonna see a ton of play after all the hype for it at the other regionals. I unfortunately didn't know how to play it as well as some other decks, but oh well. Without further ado:

Round 1 vs. Wrynku w/ Darkrai/Hydreigon

Funny enough, I actually didn't find out he was a PB member until much later. What are the chances that I would play someone from PB round 1 lol.

Game 1:

I was not confident AT ALL as soon as I saw Deino hit the field. Not only did I have literally no idea how to play the matchup, but I thought it was virtually impossible for me to ever get an OHKO since by the time Mewtwo got to that much energy, it would get KO'd. However, he gets off to a very slow start since he whiffs a ton of energy. I charge up an early Virizion and slam as much energy into play as possible. It takes him a while, but he finally gets enough energy in play and a Hydreigon to begin attacking, and he actually takes out my Virizion with Hydreigon + Bangle. But the key thing is that he didn't KO the Mewtwos, which were starting to get very large. I KO the Hydreigon, and he struggles with keeping energy in play. He gets off one more night spear before my insanely overpowered mewtwo runs through his entire field, at one point having 9 energy on it to close out the game.

Game 2:

He gets off to a much faster start, and he actually starts OHKOing stuff with Hydreigon pretty early on. I struggle to keep up, hitting the Hydreigon for 80 but getting Max Potioned right afterwards. However, my N's work out, and I finally take out the Hydreigon, leaving me at 5 prizes and him at 2. He actually gets a decent hand off the first N to 2, but I proceed to N his next hand away also and he's stuck with crap for the majority of the game. I once again power up a gigantic Mewtwo and power through the rest of his field.

2-0 in games, 1-0-0 in matches

Round 2 vs. Michael Skoran w/ Virizion/Genesect

Gagh, good player from my area. Didn't know what to expect from the matchup though due to lack of testing.

Game 1:

I start off fairly strong with an early Mewtwo, but he gets going fast too and after the first G Booster, I struggle to keep up. I would say more but the game was over from there; I never kill the Genesect with the Booster and end up scooping after I realize I can't win.

Game 2:

He dead draws after the first hand. Sweep through him with an early Mewtwo and he scoops.

Game 3:

Same as game 1. I actually bring it to time and I'm hoping it's a tie, but he hits the Skyarrow + energy off his supporter and G Boosters for the last prize.

3-2, 1-1-0

Round 3 vs. Leafeon/Terrakion/Bangle w/ 1 Flareon

Game 1:

I set up a fast Mewtwo and run through him. He scoops super early because he said he prized a lot of stuff.

Game 2:

Starts off same as game 1, but he literally hits an ultra ball off of every hand and I can't keep up with constant Leafeons. End up getting to 1 prize but then dead drawing the rest of the game and losing.

Game 3:

Same as game 1, but as I take my 3rd prize, time gets called. I go to 6-1 with me ahead in prizes and it ends in a tie. This is the moment I started hating the tie system >:0

4-3, 1-1-1

Round 4 vs. Darkrai/Garbodor

Game 1:

Extremely solid matchup for me. I get a quick Virizion and the matchup goes exactly as it should go. I Emerald Slash + Laser for 80, then attach a 3rd energy to the powered up Mewtwo and KO the Darkrai for 100. I just repeated this cycle and he struggled to even pull attacks off.

Game 2:

Same as game 1. Repeat the damage cycle, force him to deal with lasers, and avoid letting him do math with Claw + Laser.

6-3, 2-1-1

Round 5 vs Plasma

Game 1:

I get slaughtered by his fast start. I struggle to even take prizes and the Thundurus + Kyurem combo just murders my field. I scoop after I realize I have no chance of winning.

Game 2:

This went slightly better. I was able to hold off his army of Deoxys and kept energy on the board. Bouffalant was a major help in winning the prize trade too. I end up finishing the game with a catcher on his Deoxys with my 4 energy mewtwo + a laser.

Game 3:

Soooo this was probably the funniest (and most heartbreaking) game of the day. We gave a grand total of 5 minutes left for this game and I'm sure there's no way we won't tie. But he goes first, draws...and passes. I realize I have a chance. So I begin charging up my Mewtwo. And I charge it up more. And more. And more. I begin taking prizes left and right, catchering out the multiple Deoxys he's forced to bench so he doesn't get benched out. I take 4 prizes...and time is called. But I have the catcher in hand. I can win the game THE NEXT TURN. He draws...Colress. And off of that Colress he hits Prism + Colress machine, KOing my Mewtwo with his Deoxys and leaving me with no energy in play. Heartbroken, the game ends in a tie. 4 prizes in 5 minutes was still awesome though.

7-4, 2-1-2

Round 6 vs. Flareon/Leafeon/Terrakion/Drifblim

Downpaired. Sigh.

Game 1:

He starts Eevee and I start Mewtwo. I don't have the donk, but I attach a grass, Juniper, and pass. He N's...and whiffs basics. I draw a DCE and KO his lone Eevee for the game.

Game 2:

He gets off to a better start, but I charge up an early Mewtwo with Virizion and begin burning through his field. I make a special effort to not use DCE's because I'm terrified of Drifblim. It works out; he can't really get any kind of damage going and once he goes into a supporter drought, I'm all set to just sweep the rest of the field.

9-4, 3-1-2

Round 7 vs. Darkrai

Game 1:

Derp, there's literally nothing to write about in these games lol. I pull off the easy Virizion + Mewtwo + Laser combo over and over and he just can't keep up. I win an easy victory fairly quickly.

Game 2:

Same as game 1. He uses Max Potion which is sort of annoying but I'm so far ahead that it barely matters. Late game N's also prove to be a problem, and he starts catcher stalling my Mime. However, I finally hit my Float Stone off of a Bicycle to secure the game on his Sableye.

11-4, 4-1-2

Round 8 vs Drew Guritzky w/ Darkrai

Hey look, someone I know.

Game 1:

Uhhhh...standard game. He plays a lot of Frozen city which starts to get annoying as the damage builds up but it doesn't really matter. At one point I sleep his Darkrai for a turn with Laser, which essentially seals the game that was already going in my favor.

Game 2:

Same as all the other Darkrai games. No weird sleep shenanigans here; I simply do the combo that I'm supposed to and he just can't keep up.

13-4, 5-1-2

Round 9 vs. David Clarke w/ Plasma

This'll be the THIRD time I've played this guy in tournaments lol.

Game 1:

This is a really good game. He gets an early Frost Spear and keeps the pressure going but Virizion's water resistance is a godsend and I manage to start taking prizes. Bouffalant does a ton of work and we end up 2-2 in prizes. His benched Landorus EX (yeah, regular Landorus EX >_>) has 60 damage on it from an early X-Ball. He's unable to take out my active Bouffalant because he's out of Colress Machine though; so my massive Colress the next turn hits me the catcher I need for the game.

Game 2:

He gets off to a similar start as game 1 but I struggle to keep up. Kyurems really put the pressure on and Bouffalant doesn't hit the field when it needed to. I keep it close with Mewtwo though; and we once again go to 2-2 in prizes. However, my last catcher is prized, meaning I'll never get my last two prizes, and meanwhile his last Juniper nets him the Prism on his Deoxys that he needs to win.

Game 3:

We have about 3 minutes for this game, and I'm not pulling off the miracle I nearly pulled during the previous Plasma match. We both bench a bunch of basics to make sure we don't lose, and the game ends in a tie.

14-5, 5-1-3

Final place: 39th out of 343 players

I bubble REALLY hard because my resistance sucks from the early ties and losses and from the downpair. I grab my 15 packs and leave, feeling a little disappointed that if I had gotten 1 more match point, I would have made Top 32 the next day. Oh well.

Props:
Doing semi-well
Never dropping a game to a Darkrai varient
PACK WARS
Free cookies
Meeting people

Slops:
Bubble trouble
Robby bubble trouble
Arjun double bubble trouble
Not knowing how to use my deck very well (which probably caused all the trouble with the bubble)
Crappy pulls (but no bubbles on the cards, at least)

Legendary Treasures Prerelease

Pulls:
FA Mew EX
FA Shaymin EX
Victini EX
Meloetta EX
Spiritomb
Energy Switch

Lol for ungodly pull rates. I build Mew EX/Victini EX/Shaymin EX/Ninetails/Servine/Charizard/Mismagius/Meloetta (regular) with a ton of different energy types.

Game 1 vs. Guy I got downpaired against in swiss of Regionals

Again. Anyway, he starts Natu, I start Misdreavus. I evolve up to Mismagius, he evolves to Xatu, and hits me for 60 + confusion. It's weak to psychic though, and we both only have 1 Pokemon out. If I flip heads for Confusion, I win. If I flip tails, I lose. I shake the dice for about a minute to build suspense, and the climactic moment ends in...

Heads.

1-0

Game 2 vs. Moltres/Usaring/Fliptini

Lol at Usaring Fliptini. I start Victini EX, power up 5 different attackers, and sweep through him. The Moltres was annoying but it didn't really matter.

2-0

Game 3 vs. No show

Derp. I played against another person who's opponent dropped too though, and I ended up beating her Articuno and Gyarados because of my 1 tech water energy for Ninetails.

3-0

I get my last two packs and pull a FA Emolga.

Props:
SO. MANY. ULTRA. RARES.
Undefeated (lol like it matters)
1 tech water energy
Flip for game
Traded and sold afterwards, got 16$ and a Shiny Dusknoir.

Slops:
None, except that there were no bubble jokes I could make.

LT Prerelease 2 + Draft:

Prerelease:

Pulls:
FA Shaymin EX
FA Mew EX
White Kyurem EX (pulled in the same pack as the Mew lol)

I play a deck basically comprised of Gallade/Gardevoir/Mew EX/Virizion/Servine

R1 vs. Jo Ro w/ Stuff

Didn't get to see much of his deck. I get an early Mew and other attackers and he can't really do much.

1-0

R2 vs. José w/ Victini EX/LOTSA ATTACKERS

Soooo he starts Victini and powers up a boatload of various attackers he has, including Tornadus and an EX that I can't remember. I never really get much going; I draw a Ralts to start setting up my Gallade line reaaaallly late in the game but at that point, it's already over.

1-1

R3 vs. Senior can't remember name w/ Cinccino.dec

I set up an early Virizion and sweep through her. She keeps flipping tails on Cinccino so it doesn't end up mattering, although Gardevoir's second attack actually breaks through it so I would have won either way.

2-1

Get my last two packs and pull a Meloetta EX FA.

Draft:

Draft pulls:
FA Emolga
Fliptini

I build FLIPZ (aka Servine master race) with a 3-3 line of the flippy Servine (plus a Serperior), the flippy Meloetta (the fighting one), a lot of other flip cards, Fliptini, some solid starters (Emolga), and a Landorus regular.

Round 1 vs. Can't remember name

I get a super early Serperior and just sweep. He's literally unable to even touch it due to the healing ability also.

1-0

Round 2 vs. José

Rematch time. My army of Servines slows him down tremendously, allowing me to burn through a majority of his field with Landorus regular. Serperior finally shows up in my hand later in the game to close it out after the Landorus goes down to a Kyurem.

2-0

Round 3 vs. Eli

He gets off to a really fast start with Landorus, while I'm struggling to hit basics. When he finally starts hitting for 80, I'm in trouble. Luckily, I manage to get an Emolga out, grab the Victini, and start setting up in general. His Landorus ends up getting killed by my 1-1 Ninetails, and has a serious problem handling the Serperior that follows right after. He gets his BKEX going though, and I only hit for 60 before he kills the Serperior. I move up flippy Meloetta (which I had mostly charged the turn earlier using Serperior's attack), and actually hit 3 heads, bringing him to 20 HP left. He flips once more for Dragon Fang and gets tails, but it doesn't matter. I have a fully charged Landorus on the bench waiting and ready in case my Meloetta got taken down.

3-0

So I get 1st place, get three packs, play pack wars, go 2-1, and pull a FA Shaymin EX while the kid who got 2nd and 2 packs gets a FA Reshiram and Meloetta EX. Oh well.

Props:
Servine master race
FLIPZ

Slops:
Barely even having enough people to run the event since so few people showed up

NJ Marathon:
NJ Marathon Cities Day #1:

Noting that this was several days ago and I may have a hard time remembering some of the details of my games. I'm playing Accelgor/Snorlax/Garbodor/Froslass (secret deck that I had been given a few days before hand)

Round 1 vs. Antonio w/ Yeti

I had no idea what to expect from the matchup due to never testing it, but it worked out. I got an early Froslass which slowed him down immensely, and started Deck and Covering everything. He runs about 3 switch so he's able to get out of it multiple times and take a few prizes, but the main problem is that this game took FOREVER. Time gets called, and I have to take two prizes. I deck and cover once, knowing that if he has a switch, it'll automatically be a tie. He whiffs, and actually forgets he has a Max Potion left in his deck, so I Juniper into the DCE for the game on turn 3 of time.

1-0

Round 2 vs. Gothitelle/Accelgor

I get incredibly lucky and get a very early Froslass after going first, and manage to snag my one water off an early topdeck. I assumed that the game was literally over, but unfortunately, he ran catcher, and hits heads off of it. He manages to get one DCE down, and because of it, he's able to deck and cover my Froslass once, bringing it to 80 damage after we both pass. I retreat the Froslass to my other Froslass to get out of poison, but I prized a DCE, so I'm unable to retreat back to the Froslass with a water on it. We both draw pass for about 15 turns until we agree to tie (I actually had less cards left in my deck than him, so I would rather tie then play it out and potentially deck).

1-0-1

Round 3 vs. Tool Drop

This is an incredibly good matchup for me due to Garbodor and the perfect math with Deck and Cover. I would go into detail, but I just looped through about 4 trubbish before I dropped the Virbank and KO'd the last two for the win. I don't think he ever attacked.

2-0-1

Round 4 vs. Darkrai/Garbodor

We both start off slowly and I miss a few Deck and Covers to take some crucial prizes. There's an issue mid-game that causes a dispute where I think he attached an extra energy (still have no idea who was right though), and the judges don't give us enough of a time extension so we end up tying after a really long, boring game.

2-0-2

Round 5 vs. James w/Virizion/Genesect

I get off to an awful start while he starts Shaymin EX and starts using Synthesis to power up attackers. I miss a Deck and Cover to KO the Shaymin, and he starts burning through my field with Genesect. He times his Escape Ropes well, and combined with my whiffs on DCE's, he ends up putting me in a situation where I can't win. However, miraculously, he has to leave and is going to drop anyway, so he scoops to be nice. Awesome guy.

3-0-2

Round 6 vs. Plasma

...this match x____x. I'm feeling confident after my round 1 match that I can win this, but he gets off to a very fast start and I'm a little concerned. I probably would have been fine, but my active Snorlax stays asleep THREE separate times on laser flips and he takes a ton of prizes with Frost Spear. By the time I'm able to start Deck and Covering attackers, it's too late. He ran a ton of switch, Virizion EX, and a decent Scrapper count to shut off the Garbodor. Sigh.

3-1-2

I whiff pretty badly. I would have been 4th seed if I had won my last game, but oh well. I get my two packs, pull a Chandelure EX and a Shaymin EX in one of them, and nothing in the other.

Props:
Secret Deck
Winning on turn 3 of time
Froslass being a total pro

Slops:
Ties
Laser flips >:[

NJ Marathon Day #2:

I'm playing Darkrai/Garbodor.

Round 1 vs. Matt Rockwell w/ Yeti

I get off to an incredibly slow start, and I actually don't even see an energy in my hand for the first 5 turns and I'm forced to keep junk hunting back Energy Search instead of Laser. By the time I start attacking though, it's too late. His entire field is set up and he slams through everything I have with a Lugia and a Snorlax.

0-1 (THE ROUND 1 WINNING STREAK IS OVER D: )

Round 2 vs. Jimmy O'Brian w/ Darkrai (pretty sure it had Garbodor too, didn't see much)

I Laser Virbank him turn 1, he Skylas for Beach because he has no basics, and I hit the Skyla off a RR and grab a Virbank for the win.

1-1

Round 3 vs. Eric Gansmen w/ RayBoar

I set up an early Garbodor so I think I'm in a good position, but he runs 2 Scrapper and a Dowsing, hits them very early, and takes a ton of prizes before I can do anything productive. I would say more but there wasn't much I could do; he had an extremely good start and it was almost impossible to catch up.

1-2

Round 4 vs. Hydreigon

I set up a very early Garbodor and he prizes his Tool Scrapper. I send up Darkrai and Night Spear everything on his field to death while he struggles to do anything. I'm not sure he ever gets an attack off.

2-2

Round 5 vs. Ben Sauk w/ Straight Darkrai

I get a very quick Night Spear and due to his dead hands, he struggles to get basics or energy out. The game is over after a few turns since I bench him out fairly quickly.

3-2

Round 6 vs. Straight Darkrai

...this is probably the most frustrating game I have ever played. I prize 2 of my 3 Darkrai right off the bat, so I try everything I can to keep my one Darkrai alive. I think I'm going to be fine though because she dead draws and doesn't have many basics...but the turn before I win, she topdecks a Juniper. Further on, she needs her 4th laser to knock out my Darkrai, and hits it off an N out of her 25-30 card deck. After frantically grabbing my Super Rod to get my Darkrai back into my deck, I charge it up again and begin attacking. Even after all of my terrible luck, I'm actually about to pull out the game in the end since one more Night Spear will win me the game no matter what. But she had Junk Hunted for Laser the turn before...and she flips heads. My Darkrai is brought to 150 damage, and I have no switching cards left, so if I stay asleep, I immediately lose, and if I wake up, I immediately win.

I think you know what happens next.

3-3

I tend to be pretty calm even after stupid losses, but I was actually really pissed off. I know I still wouldn't have made cut, but I had lost my last game of both days due to stupid Laser flips. Why the heck was the sleep a necessary addition to the card? It would have been played just as much if it was simply poison.

Props:
None, this tournament sucked.

Slops:
Arjun bubbled, and because of my stupid last round, I COULDN'T CAUSE THE DOUBLE BUBBLE #dbt
Ended my season and a half long round 1 winning streak
Whoever's bright idea it was to make Hypnotoxic Laser better hope I never find out who they are.

New Jersey Marathon Day #3:

I'm playing Yeti.

Round 1 vs. Michael Skoran w/ Virizion/Genesect (he won the day before)

This is actually the one matchup I've tested throughly with this deck, so I go in feeling confident...or not, because I don't see a supporter until he's taken 4 prizes and by then, it's way too late.

0-1

Round 2 vs. Darkrai/Garbodor

I get off to a very quick start with Thundurus and KO his Sableye T3 for two prizes, since he whiffs his Garbodor or any sort of Hammers. He Night Spears the next turn, but it doesn't matter; I Scramble Switch into Snorlax, murder his Darkrai, and sweep the rest of the field.

1-1

Round 3 vs. Ben Sauk w/ Straight Darkrai

I unfortunately don't remember many of the details of this game, except that hammers slow me down a lot and it takes forever for me to get prizes. It eventually comes down to the point where I have the win in hand to Red Signal up his last Darkrai for the KO with Lugia, but he N's it away from me, time gets called, and we tie since neither of us can do anything.

1-1-1

Round 4 vs. Dylan Dreyer w/ Blastoise

Solid player, but I have the matchup advantage due to Frozen City. We get into the Beach/City stadium war very early and once I come out on top by about turn 3, I'm in a very good position. That is, until I misplay, thinking I could take a KO with Deoxys, whiffing the switch to do so, and realizing afterwards that I should only be going for KO's with Lugia anyway. He Black Ballistas my Lugia and I'm in a really bad position. My only hope is to Helix Force his BKEX, stopping it from attacking due to City, in hopes to stall it out for me to get another Lugia. It actually works, I take my three prizes a few turns later, and he's unable to set up another Black Kyurem EX fast enough. Time gets called, and he N's, hoping I whiff the Plasma Energy for Red Signal off the N, just like the round before. I draw my three cards, and the first one is the Shadow Triad.

2-1-1

Round 5 vs. Matt Fava w/ Darkrai/Garbodor

...and it's the annoying type of Darkrai/Garbodor too, that literally just aims to hammer over and over again. It's actually a flawed strategy; as long as he gets a couple tails on hammers, I'm going to outspeed his hammers with attachments + Thundurus, taking my extra prizes by timing Scrappers right before I attack with Lugia. My strategy works out, taking a ton of prizes off Sableyes while he's not even putting damage on my board due to him going after hammers. He eventually beings to Night Spear and KO's my Thundurus, but that doesn't do him much and he goes back to Junk Hunting shortly afterward. I actually get a turn where I can straight up win the game, but I whiff the energy off a Juniper. I have the entire combo to win the game the next turn, with Scramble Switch and Scrapper to KO his last Sableye with Lugia, but he hits heads on his LAST crushing hammer, leaving me 1 energy short of getting the KO. I promptly run out of energy because I misplayed and filled my bench without putting another Thundurus down, and since he's so far behind in prizes, we end up tying.

2-1-2

Round 6 vs. Mirror

Soooo I go first with a rather bad start, while he fills his bench on the second turn and Raiden Knuckles, preparing to get a t2 Teampact for 200. I start setting up a Lugia, and he proceeds to pull off the combo he needs and Teampacts to KO my Thundurus. It was a really bad play; if I could KO his Snorlax (considering I had a Lugia with 3 energy on the field, it was pretty likely), he would have no energy on the board. I actually have the 4th energy to KO the Snorlax...but my hand is dead, and I have no way to get even a single Deoxys onto the field, meaning I can't KO it. I move the Lugia to the bench, but he hits the Plasma Energy off a Juniper, and Red Signals to KO the Lugia. I move up Deoxys and KO the Snorlax, thinking I have a chance since he has no energy on the field. I'm wrong; he's sitting their with Prism + Colress Machine to KO the Deoxys for his last two prizes >_>

2-2-2

Props:
Deck being fun to play

Slops:
Scrubbing really hard
COIN FLIPS. WHY.
Ties
Lucksacking mirror

NJ Marathon Day #4:

I'm playing Yeti again.

Round 1 vs. Judge from the day before w/ Virizion/Genesect

...I start with no supporters again and pretty much think it's going to be like yesterday's game, except he N's me out of it on his first turn *phew*. I get off to a little bit of a slow start, having to Raiden Knuckle multiple times before I can really get going with a Lugia. I put a lot of damage on a Virizion and a little more on a Genesect, after which I KO the Genesect for three prizes (which he put a G Booster on the turn before, putting me in a very good position). He doesn't have the G Booster the next turn, so I Triad for a Plasma Energy to Signal up the damaged Virizion to take my last three prizes.

1-0

Round 2 vs. Rob w/ Tool Drop

4th time I'll have played Rob in tournaments, and I really don't feel comfortable with the matchup given that he runs 4 Silver Mirror (I asked Mike Diaz about it beforehand and he said it was pretty much an auto loss). He starts Sigilyph and doesn't hit very much early, although he gets a Mirror out to ensure I can't touch whatever's active until I Scrapper. I decide to go all out with 1 Lugia, realizing if he knocks it out, I'm going to lose. I Scrapper for my first two prizes, then after he misses the KO since he doesn't have enough tools, I Scrapper again for my next two. He once again misses the KO by 1 tool, puts a Mirror on his active Trubbish, and hits for 120. I switch my Lugia to my Deoxys (just to sacrifice it), Skyla for Shadow Triad, and since he doesn't have the N, I Red Signal up something on his bench to take my last two prizes.

2-0

Round 3 vs. Frank Diaz w/ Hydreigon

Ugh, I have no idea how to play this matchup. At least he doesn't run Latias EX. I start off by Raiden Knuckling to get a lot of energy onto my field, and everything seems to be going fine...until his third turn. He uses Escape Rope, and me being pretty sure that he wasn't going to OHKO it (I even had the Max Potion in hand even if he Night Speared), I move up my Lugia EX. He even brings up the Sableye in preparation for Junk Hunt. But after his Colress for 8, he hits double dark patch, candy, Hydreigon, Laser, Bangle to OHKO my Lugia. I was pretty sure I was screwed since I prized my other Lugia and he had a Mewtwo sitting on his board in preperation for a Snorlax, but I manage to Triad it back, power it up, and actually take 4 prizes off of Sableyes. In fact, I actually have an out to win if I could Signal up his Darkrai (which couldn't OHKO anything), Block it there so it couldn't retreat, power up my other Snorlax, and then KO it. Unfortunately, he N's me into a dead hand, and I'm unable to do anything as he sweeps the rest of my field with Hydreigon.

2-1

Round 4 vs. Virizion/Genesect/Bouffalant

I once again start with no supporters, but topdeck out of it turn 1, so I'm fine. I'm forced to attack with Deoxys early because I'm lacking energy, so he goes for the Emerald Slash to a Bouffalant, planning on knocking me out with the perfect math from Gold Breaker. It was a horrible misplay, I start drawing into a lot of energy, put it all on a Snorlax, and there's nothing he can do as Snorlax sweeps the rest of his field. Bouffalant couldn't really do anything.

3-1

Round 5 vs. Orrin Wilson w/ Hydreigon

I just had to play against the only two people in Masters running this, didn't I. Worst of all, he runs Latias EX. I would say more, but I never really had a chance. There was actually one option to force a tie, but it would have required me not putting down Frozen City. I could have brought up his Electrode, Blocked it active, and without Frozen City, he couldn't knock it out by attaching to it. There as no way I would have known this without prior testing against his exact list though.

3-2

Round 6 vs. Virizion/Genesect

I Raiden Knuckle to power up a Lugia, and take three prizes off his Virizion EX on turn 2. His G Booster is prized so he doesn't have any options; he brings up his Genesect to Megalo Cannon, but I Scramble Switch to my Snorlax and wipe all the Energy off his field. He Signals up a Deoxys to try and stall, but off his N to one, I hit a switch, and the game is over.

4-2

I get two packs, pull a Reshiram FA (not the golden one).

Props:
Snorlax being a pro
Winning several games in 4 turns
All victories except 1 being 6-0
Winning a really bad matchup

Slops:
Whiffing cut again
Playing literally the only two people in the room playing Hydreigon

Aaaaaand that concludes the marathon. I really just needed more testing for the first three days, I honestly think I could have made cut in all of them if I had a better list and knew what I was doing.

XY Prerelease:
Jon predicts beforehand that I'm going to pull a FA Blastoise EX, so lol.

Pulls:
Blastoise EX (close enough)
Aromatisse
Yveltal (non-ex)
Slurpuff
Aegislash (bad one)
Shadow Circle x2
Fairy Garden

Soooooo not so great. Didn't get a single trainer besides stadiums.

I make this crazy deck out of 4 different types (Dark, Fairy, Metal, Water) because all of my good attackers are spread out. Assuming it sucks, I do 5-5-5-6 on energy (6 dark) and go into the tournament.

Round 1 vs. Someone's dad

I start Yveltal and he starts Pikachu, but it's not a big deal since I get Shadow Circle out quickly. I'm actually about to win by benching his Raichu 3 turns later with Darkness Blade, but he topdecks Yveltal EX, and I have nothing in my deck that can handle it so I lose .-.

0-1

Round 2 vs. Someone else's dad

He plays 2 Sycamore and uses Filch every turn with Sableye. I get an extremely good set up so I probably would have won anyway, but he ends up decking himself due to all the draw.

1-1

Round 3 vs. Some guy

I pretty much just sweep through him with Yveltal and there's nothing he can do.

2-1

Didn't use any attacker except for my 1 Yveltal and Mr. Mime lol. Only other things I actually used were Lunatone and Sableye to draw cards. I get a Xerneas in my last two packs.

Draft pulls:
Yveltal x2 (lol)
Muscle Band
Hard Stone
Sycamore
Shadow Circle x2 (weeee now I have a playset of this terrible stadium)

I build some crazy deck with Beedrill, Yveltal, Gogoat, and a few other grass attackers like Quilladin.

Round 1 vs. Same guy I played round 2 of the PR

This game was...weird. I start Yveltal and assume I'm in a very good position since he doesn't have much out. Then all of a sudden he starts attacking with Wigglytuff (HOCUS PINKUS) and I can't do anything since I can't attack. I manage to finally take some KO's by switching around attackers though, and at a crucial moment in the game, I topdeck Gogoat to KO his last Wigglytuff, and I seal the game the next turn.

1-0

Round 2 vs. Frank Diaz

He starts Rhyhorn and gets the energy off the top of his deck, so he starts hitting for 40 early on. I search out my Yveltal with Zorua though, and since it resists, he can barely do anything. Yveltal sweeps through a portion of his field with a Muscle Band before he kills it with Dodrio, but I come out with the second Yveltal and there's not much he can do. Between the Yveltal and the fact that his Rhyhorns were weak to grass, I eventually just close out the game by spamming Oblivion Wing and various grass attacks.

2-0

Round 3 vs. Erin

So derp he starts Xerneas EX with a Muscle Band, fills his bench on turn 1 and plays Sycamore with an empty hand. Seriously? I actually manage to Darkness Blade it to set it up for a KO with Dunsparce, but he topdecks Super Potion, which takes away that option -.- Not much I can do as he sweeps through the rest of my field, since I'm in an energy drought.

2-1

I get third, pull another Muscle Band in my two packs, although nobody got anything too amazing in their prize packs so whatever.

I trade afterwards and get a Virizion EX for my Blastoise EX and a bunch of other stuff (he wanted to do just Blastoise EX for his Virizion EX, but I'm such a nice guy)

Props:
Yveltal non ex bcif imo
The craziest PR deck of all time somehow going 2-1
HOCUS PINKUS
Beating Frank Diaz
The streak of UR's lives on
Trades
Somehow winning a game before the tournament where I used one supporter, a Shadow Triad, the entire game

Slops:
Losing out of the win in the last round as always
Other people using EX's
No one I knew was there except Jon and a friend that came with me
Coin flips hate me, although not as much as normal

NY States:
I'm playing Landorus/Mewtwo/Garbodor/Raichu.

Round 1 vs. Peter Kica w/ Trevenant/Accelgor

Huh, I've sold to this guy online. Never played him before though.

Game 1:

WHY. WHY THIS DECK. OF ALL THINGS TO PLAY ROUND 1...until he literally does not see a supporter until about 5 turns in and by that point, my Landorus has absolutely slaughtered most of his field of 60 hp basics.

Game 2:

He gets a slightly better set up, then immediately starts dead drawing again and Landorus goes to town, after which he suicides by using Deck and Cover to remove all Pokémon from his field. I think we finished both games in under fifteen minutes :/

1-0

Round 2 vs. Darkrai/Yveltal/Bouffalant

Game 1:

So, this is supposedly my best matchup. He gets a blazing fast start, getting an Evil Ball on his first turn and KOing my Mewtwo on turn 2. I struggle to recover, and when I hit a supporter drought about midway through the game, most of my field just collapses. I attempt to make a comeback with a big Mewtwo combined with shutting of his abilities with Garbodor later in the game, but he ends up KOing the Mewtwo with a Darkrai.

Game 2:

Once again he gets off to a blazing start, but this time, I have a much better set up. I spread a lot of damage with Landorus, taking KO's on Yveltals with Mewtwos when I can. The game becomes very very close and we both have 1 prize left to take. I unfortunately start dead drawing after an N, and after he powers up an Yveltal, I have one turn to take my last prize...and I topdeck DCE, allowing me to KO the Yveltal with Raichu.

Game 3:

We have almost no time left, and we play out the first few turns but there's really no point in finishing. The game ends without either of us taking any prizes.

This was sort of frustrating because he had been playing really slowly (like doing full shuffles even when he knew he was going back in, even after I told him to stop). I didn't have the heart to call a judge and absolutely regret not doing so. Lesson learned, I guess.

1-0-1

Round 3 vs. Christian Ortiz w/ FLYGON/ACCELGOR WHAT

Game 1:

O___O <-- My face when he opens Trapinch. Anyway, I get a very Landorus and start tearing through the 60 hp basics. He cannot seem to get Accelgors going (apparently he prized all of them, which he told me afterwards), and even though he gets a Flygon at one point and manages to take two prizes with Mewtwo, Landorus just applied way too much pressure. When he eventually does start Deck and Covering, I just use the Skylas which I had been holding in my hand to get my switches.

Game 2:

He gets a bit of a better start, but Landorus still gives him huge troubles. I take 4 prizes just with Hammerheads until he finally starts Deck and Covering to KO it. He gets Flygons out, N's be to a low hand, and starts putting tons of damage on everything. He takes another two prizes with Mewtwo, and I'm in deep trouble, because Flygon damage is going to cause me to lose next turn. Luckily, I topdeck float stone to put on Garbodor to shut off Flygon, after which I topdeck a DCE to KO his Mewtwo.

2-0-1

Round 4 vs. Frankie Durso w/ Blastoise

Game 1:

This is a really good game...up until the end. I get a very early Garbodor and start doing some solid damage with Landorus, but he KO's it with a Scrapper + Keldeo. I then KO his Keldeo with Mewtwo. We go back and forth like this (he runs 2 scrapper and a Dowsing >_>) until I'm at one prize and he's at two, and he's struggling to get energy with very few cards left in his deck. He does have one card though -- a catcher. Yep, the game comes down to whether he can Black Ballista my benched Mewtwo for the game, because otherwise, he's forced to Black Ballista my active Bouffalant, and he'd have no way to take any more KO's since I had the tool in hand to reactivate Garb. He flips...heads. Don't we all love coin flips?

Game 2:

I get a bit of a slower Garbodor, and really struggle to take any kind of big KO's, meanwhile he's hitting scrappers and taking KO's left and right. I make a misplay at one point where I could have forced his Black Kyurem EX to die coming into my turn, but I don't think it ended up mattering, as time is called while I have 5 prizes and it's impossible for me to win.

2-1-1

Round 5 vs. Plasma...old school plasma, with Kyurem

Game 1:

Why. Why me. Why did I have to face literally the only person playing this deck in the entire room Needless to say, he gets a very early Kyurem and tears apart my Landorus. Mewtwo does some work, but he KO's that in a crucial turn where he gets a Prism off a Juniper to Helix Force. I actually almost make a comeback with an N to 1 and a big Mewtwo, but gets a Shauna after I take about two prizes and there's not much I can do.

Game 2:

I'm a little more wary of Kyurem this game, so I tend to just lean on Mewtwos. It works out really well, he struggle to get energy in play and I take quite a few prizes fairly quickly. Landorus comes down a bit later in the game to help spread damage as well. There's a crucial turn where he Colress Machines, only to realize that two Plasma energy are prized, and can't attack with Kyurem. He has a lot of trouble getting anything going, and by that point, I have a 3 energy Landorus as well as a 4 energy Mewtwo and he has no way to kill them both.

Game 3:

We have like, 7 minutes for this game, and it isn't nearly enough time. We end up tying after 4 turns or so.

2-1-2

Am I allowed to go on another rant about how the time limit and ties are both stupid beyond belief now?

Round 6 vs. Blastoise

Game 1:

I get a turn 2 Garbodor and put on a ton of early pressure with Mewtwos. She struggles to really get anything going the entire game, and when she attacks with her 4 energy Keldeo that she spent 4 turns powering up, I KO it with my massive Mewtwo. She eventually gets Blastoise into play, but her one scrapper isn't enough to be game-changing and I end up just using a gigantic Mewtwo to take my last two prizes.

Game 2:

Very similar to game one, except that she gets a little bit of a better start and keeps sending up Suicunes as fodder so she can get more energy in play. Garb is shutting of Suicune so the ability isn't an issue, but she has her own Mewtwo which makes me wary of using my Mewtwo to KO the suicunes. Instead, Raichu comes to the rescue, and I manage fill my bench when I need to and I KO both Suicunes with Circle Circuit without having to waste my Mewtwo. It's a crucial move; she doesn't have much going for her besides the Mewtwo, and she's basically trapped because she can't attack with it due to my own Mewtwo. She realizes it's game over, and just attacks with her Mewtwo, giving me the game.

3-1-2

Round 7 vs. José w/ Fairysect (no G Booster though, less Genesect focused)

Game 1:

...sooooo he discards his Scrapper on the first turn, and does a massive facepalm when I drop Trubbish. It's a really big deal; I get a turn two Garbodor and since he only has one more Scrapper to work with, he's locked out of using Aromatisse for almost the entire game. I flood my board with energy and by the time he hits the Scrapper + Signal combo for the KO on my Garbodor, it's too late, as I have a 3 energy Landorus ready to KO anything that attacks.

Game 2:

He gets a much better start, and KO's my Landorus very early on with Suicune. He actually takes a ton of prizes with his well timed Scrapper + N, and I'm in a tough spot. I get another Garbodor however, and since his last prize is a Scrapper, he struggles to do anything. I stack up energy on a Mewtwo in order to KO his attacking Gensect, and he scoops because he has no energy left after burning through his deck early on.

4-1-2

Final standing: 12th

I get 9 packs, pull a Xerneas EX, complain about the tournament structure, play a game against Rayboar and then I go home.

Props:
Top 16
Landorus is god
Telling Nick Chinman that he should get downpaired so I have a better chance of making cut, after which he proceeds to get downpaired and almost loses
The most WTF tournament ever -- I beat two of my worst matchups and tied the other one, meanwhile tying my best matchup and losing my other good matchup. Also, Flygon.
Winning out (kinda)
Wait, I can flip heads on sleep flips now? AND GO FIRST? AND SEE SUPPORTERS ON TURN 1!!!??? Have the laws of the universe been shifting?

Slops:
COIN FLIPS WHY I ALWAYS LOSE TO CATCHER OR LASER FLIPS EVERY TIME SOMEONE MAKE IT STOP
JUST REITERATING THAT I HATE FLIPS IN A SECOND SLOP
Playing the only TDK in the entire room
Raichu being used a grand total of three times
Bad pulls
The "secret" deck that I had considered playing but ditched last minute won the tournament x__x
WHY DO FLIPS EXIST
Arjun not bubbling

League Challenge (#1 of the season lol):
There aren't enough people so they combine Seniors and Masters. I'm playing a weird list of Yveltal/Garbodor (Emmett plays my list card for card lol).

Round 1 vs. Mike Newey w/ Yveltal/Garbodor

Third time I'll have played this guy in tournaments. I get a very slow start but his baby Yveltal stays asleep for 3 turns so I get a ton of time to set up. Unfortunately, he hits a switch off an N and KO's my active Yveltal EX so I fall behind fairly early. We trade back and forth, but once his baby Yveltal and Yveltal EX go down, he struggles to hit another attacker. I bring up Darkrai and start rampaging through his field, and although he makes a misplay at the end of the game by attacking with Druddigon when I hadn't taken a KO the previous turn, it didn't matter since I had Lysandre in hand to kill a benched Yveltal EX with Bouffalant.

1-0

Round 2 vs. Jo Ro w/ Plasma (Lugia and Kyurem)

There isn't much to say. He whiffs energy for a ton of turns whereas I get off to a blazing start, with a Lysandre turn 2 on a charged up Lugia, a second Lysandre via Dowsing on turn 3 to finish it off, and then a Bouffalant to start KOing other EX's. Although he eventually hits the Thundurus + Band + 4 Deoxys combo to kill an Yveltal, by that point, it's too late and I end the game with my third Lysandre.

2-0

Round 3 vs. Frank Diaz w/ Flygon/Dusknoir/Miltank

Uhhh...ok. He gets off to a blazing start with a turn 2 Dusknoir with a Miltank and a bangle, but I follow it up by killing his Dusknoir on turn 2 with Yveltal. Unfortunatly, it goes downhill from there, as he gets a ridiculous number of stage 2's out in the next few turns and there isn't much I can do. I dead draw for a lot of turns, and although I manage to KO some Miltanks, he moves all the damage to my lone Trubbish so I can;t get a Garbodor out and I end up being put in a spot with very few options. I make a list ditch play by using Revenge on his Flygon with a Muscle Band along with a Laser in an attempt to KO it coming back into my turn, but he wakes him from sleep and takes the game from there.

2-1

Round 4 vs. Arjun (lmao) w/ Virizion/Genesect/Raichu

So he gets pretty much a perfect start (as much as a perfect start as V/G can get) with a Virizion active and a Genesect benched, but I proceed to explode with a turn 1 Evil Ball and his field deteriorates very quickly. He KO's my Yveltal EX after I take down the Virizion, but I follow it up with a massive Yveltal to KO the Genesect, wiping the energy off his field. He KO's the Yveltal with Raichu, but I just bring up Darkrai and the game pretty much ends from there since he has no way to deal any significant damage to it.

3-1

Final standing: 2nd (2nd in masters, and 2nd overall as well)

Props:
2nd. Wow, I actually did well at a tournament?
Awesome sleeves are awesome
Lucksacking vs Arjun
Emmett getting second out of the seniors with the exact same list
LYSANDRE
420 Blahze it

Slops:
2nd. Classic Blah.
Beaches being expensive
Nobody showing up

Overall season:
CP: 57
Win-Loss-Tie (only includes events that give CP): 24-11-9
Note: I'm not playing for an invite this season because I have way too much school work; so my results may be somewhat worse than what I was doing at the end of my last season.

SheNinja

Aspiring Trainer
RE: Blah's 2013-2014 Season (Updated with Plasma Blast Prerelease)

Nice Genesect-EX :D

That'll be useful definitely.

Blah

DBT
RE: Blah's 2013-2014 Season (Updated with Plasma Blast Prerelease)

I already sold it for 40$ :p

It'll go down after the set is actually released. I don't particularly like Virizion/Genesect anyway.

Blah

DBT
RE: Blah's 2013-2014 Season (Updated with PA Regionals)

Updated. I'll be adding a quick report on my LT prerelease soon too.

Blah

DBT
RE: Blah's 2013-2014 Season (Updated with PA Regionals and LT Prerelease)

You guys are terrible at commenting :p

MountainDrew

Wishes Mega Umbreon would exist

Sorry about the bubble Blah, but still a great job. Congratz Blah :D

RogueChomp

Team DBT

You suck and you will always suck. The End, GG, here's a cookie.

jk

A little.

Naw, but we both bubbled cause we didn't play our traditional game, cause YOU HAD TO GO TO THE FREAKIN BATHROOM. You brought this curse upon both of us. And everybody I told to make a comeback made one, so yeah, I'm good luck.

Blah

DBT

I actually got about 15 cookies from the cookie contest hosted by Lex's mom, lol.

And sorry, I forgot that I need to beat you in a practice game before every tournament so that we can do well ;]

Blah

DBT

Updated again with a quick Prerelease + Draft report. SERVINE MASTER RACE

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head
RE: Blah's 2013-2014 Season (Updated with LT Prerelease 2 + Draft)

FA White Kyurem EX? lol

Good job with the Draft. Those are a bit more skill based than Prereleases.

Blah

DBT
RE: Blah's 2013-2014 Season (Updated with LT Prerelease 2 + Draft)

Remind me not to write reports on no sleep >_<

And there was no skill in making my deck, only Servines.

Blah

DBT
RE: Blah's 2013-2014 Season (Updated with NJ Marathon Day #1)

Updated with Marathon Day 1. Will add the rest in a bit (I sorta scrubbed out in the whole thing due to lack of testing, but I played some interesting decks and games, so enjoy).

blargh257

IT'S BEEN THREE THOUSAND YEARS
RE: Blah's 2013-2014 Season (Updated with NJ Marathon Day #1)

I saw the standings on FB.
Oh hey, there are some good people in this cut aaaand blah bubbled, didn't he...
The secret deck sounds fun, though.

Blah

DBT
RE: Blah's 2013-2014 Season (Updated with NJ Marathon Day #1 and 2)

The Gothitelle player's reaction to Froslass was hilarious, I can say that much.

"What the hell does Snorunt do?"

"...crap."

blargh257

That sounds similar to my reaction when I was playing 2005 format two weeks ago and found out what Ancient Technical Machine Rock does. It gives the Pokemon it's on an attack that devolves everything on the opponent's field. This lost me the game.
I picked up the card, then just sort of flicked it back at my opponent...

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head

Blah said:
Whoever's bright idea it was to make Hypnotoxic Laser better hope I never find out who they are.

Said everyone ever.

Don't worry, Blah. I had really bad luck at my last 2 Cities, too. I was playing Darkrai/Secret other thing. In one game, my opponent got a turn 1 Mind Jack/Catcher heads to KO my only powered up Basic, I stayed asleep on 3 separate Lasers in another game, drew totally dead in another, and faced 2 Terrakion EX decks (my secret thing doesn't counter that), of which 1 played Catcher, and the other played Lugia. I can tell you what the secret is if you want me to.

Your deck in day 1 seems really cool, though. I've heard of Accelgor/Snorlax before, but Froslass is something else. And it totally makes sense, too! Hope you did well at the next 2!

Blah

DBT

Four Arms said:
faced 2 Terrakion EX decks

Don't worry, I'm getting to the point soon where I get horribly unlucky with matchups too >_>

Anyway, updated with Day 3. Scrubbed out harder then I did the other days.

blargh257

RE: Blah's 2013-2014 Season (Updated with NJ Marathon Day 1, 2, and 3)

Ouch. How many days left?

Blah

DBT

One, and trust me, it only gets a little better.

I'm not too disappointed; school has been bogging me down and I had pretty much zero time to test. I'll hopefully get to play more next season and maybe actually go for an invite.

RogueChomp

Team DBT

It could have been worse. You could have been a Senior going for the invite who can only attend 2, bubbling one and failing the other.