• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded Bewear-GX/Venusaur-EX Beginner Deck

sparrish

Aspiring Trainer
I'm looking for some feedback on a deck that I'm putting together for my 6-year old daughter. She has only been playing for a month or so, and I had never played before either, so I'm learning as quickly as possible so that I can teach her and we can have fun playing together.

Just for some background, we started out with the Alolan Sandslash / Alolan Ninetails Trainer Kit and then cobbled together a few full decks from that with the addition of 9 or 10 booster packs. The decks didn't play very well (surprise), so I'm looking to order singles and build us a few better ones. She loves Stufful / Bewear and she has a Venusaur-EX and an Exeggutor card that she really wants to make use of, so those were selected for personal preference and I built the rest around that. I wanted to keep it fun and not too complicated, but wanted to build it in the same style of a regular competitive deck and introduce some more advanced strategies. The part I'm really not sure of is the selection of Trainers so I could really use some help there, but feedback on anything would be greatly appreciated.

This is for casual at-home play in Expanded format, and I would like to keep it low-budget for now until I see if she sticks with it (i.e. Cynthia is definitely preferred, but starting with Shauna or Tate & Liza as they are much cheaper to buy in volume from what I can tell). Thanks for your help!

Pokémon (14)
1 Eevee SUM 101
1 Leafeon FFI 7
1 Snorlax BKT 118
1 Venusaur-EX PR-XY 28
1 Stufful BUS 110
2 Stufful GRI 112
1 Bewear BUS 111
1 Bewear GRI 113
1 Bewear-GX PR-SM 34
2 Exeggcute UPR 1
1 Alolan Exeggutor FLI 2
1 Exeggutor EVO 109

Trainer Cards (34)
2 N
2 Shauna
2 Professor Sycamore
1 Professor Birch's Observations
2 Lysandre
4 Tate & Liza
1 Pokémon Center Lady
2 Fisherman
2 Tierno
2 Professor's Letter
1 Escape Rope
2 Switch
2 Potion
1 Evosoda
2 Ultra Ball
2 Great Ball
1 Town Map
1 Muscle Band
1 Hard Charm
1 Lucky Helmet

Energy (12)
4 Double Colorless Energy
8 Grass Energy

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
Just saying,
the theme decks they have nowadays have really nice trainers in them.
They are like $12, I think, and they are great birthday/christmas presents.
Most of them have 2 cynthia now.
If you get 2 of the same, and you smash them together (because you get 2 of every card, pretty much), you can make a sick deck.
(taking out the unimportant stuff)

Also, the Pokemon Trading Card Game Online (PTCGO) is great for beginners.
You don't have to play "online" to play on there (you can play against CPUs) and it is just really great to learn how to play and have some fun in the process.

sparrish

Aspiring Trainer
Thanks for your help! I will probably pick up some theme decks to try out, but I still intend to put together a few constructed decks anyway and tweak them as we go.

As for PTCGO, I have been playing it quite a bit to learn game mechanics and deck-building, but for my kid, I'm kind of using the card game to cut down on tablet time. :)

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
Also, in most decks, you want the maximum number of your main cards (4).
For example in this decklist:
http://limitlesstcg.com/decks/?list=2576
Notice how there are 4 zorua and 4 zoroark because it is the main focus of the deck, along with less important pokemon lines like persan, muk, and slowking which have a smaller line like a 2-2 or 2-1 (with ditto).

Also notice how it has a strong "engine" of lillie, ultra ball, nest ball, and pokemon communication.
Zoroark is also part of the engine in this deck.
A strong engine is important in every deck.
In your deck, I would suggest a lillie engine with net ball, evosoda, and ultra ball.
The main thing is to have a lot of space dedicated to whatever engine you choose.
You have the start of a nice, consistent engine in there but need 4 of-s of lots of cards.
I would also suggest brigette.

If you are only playing at home and not planning to ever go to a tournament or anything, there are "champion decks" that have cards with silver borders on them.
These cards cannot be used at official tournaments but they are great for at home.
You get, you guessed it, the world champion's deck.