Best Starter Deck for a 9-Year-Old?

Nick H.

Aspiring Trainer
My 9-year-old nephew wants to learn to play. He has a small amount of random cards, but no deck. Which starter deck(s) do you think would be the best choice for him?

Thanks!

Purrloin

By starter deck, do you mean pre-made decks (i.e. theme decks)? If so, I've had success with Dark Hammer (from Furious Fists; it has Pangoro on the front of the box) in PTCGO theme deck tournaments. It has decent Pokemon (Pangoro, Machamp, Landorus) and a good selection of Supporters (Sycamore, Korrina, Roller Skates, etc.). :D

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Does your nephew have a particular favourite Pokemon or favourite type? Generally the using of that sort of information is helpful in deciding a deck, unless said nephew is looking at the competitive scene.

Purrloin

Some theme decks are indeed better than others, but it might also be worth letting him pick one out he'd like to try (maybe based on a favorite Pokemon). I always like to suggest newcomers play the game for fun and worry about the competitive stuff later. :p

Also for the record, theme decks include everything needed to play (coin, counters, etc.).

Nick H.

Aspiring Trainer
His favorite Pokemon is Mega Charizard-X, and I got him a M Charizard-EX (X) for his birthday. I'll ask him if he has any other favorite Pokemon or if he has a favorite type.

EDIT: Okay, he said another favorite of his is Kyurem. Other than the Boundaries Crossed decks with Black and White Kyurem, none come with Kyurem, do they? Also, he said he has a Yveltal-EX, so I figure Dark Hammer would be a good choice for him since Yveltal would fit right in.

Last edited: