Discussion Best Blastoise GX partner?

jamashawalker

Ikouze!
Blastoise GX is an underrated amazing archetype in this CURRENT metagame. Once you get both GX and baby Blastoise set up it's a damn near Auto-win vs almost everything. However after playing with it since the start of this metagame, I have yet to find the better partner for Blastoise GX. There are two commonly built decks.
A-ninetales and Articuno. There are pros and cons to both versions. A-Ninetales is faster and more consistent but is an easy 2 prize Guzma bait. (Lost many games to that). Articuno keeps your set up safe, keeps your energy on the field, and a decent non-GX attacker. However it is a lot slower, and less consistent than Ninetales.

From your personal experience which Version of Blastoise GX do you like best? Any other archetypes you like to build with Blastoise GX?

I faced one player at Madison with this deck (A9 variant), and I have to say it's really not a very good deck unfortunately. It is extremely inconsistent, and takes too long to set up. I beat them playing QuagNag, and one of the games _both_ of my naganadels were prized (and the 4th and 6th prizes I took respectively).

If you're going to play it, I think I'd focus on consistency - thus A9. But I don't think I'd play it, unless you just enjoy Blastoise (as my son does, and probably will build one for him anyway!)

I faced one player at Madison with this deck (A9 variant), and I have to say it's really not a very good deck unfortunately. It is extremely inconsistent, and takes too long to set up. I beat them playing QuagNag, and one of the games _both_ of my naganadels were prized (and the 4th and 6th prizes I took respectively).

If you're going to play it, I think I'd focus on consistency - thus A9. But I don't think I'd play it, unless you just enjoy Blastoise (as my son does, and probably will build one for him anyway!)

Aww that's a shame it didn't do so well. So far I've been leaning further away from the A9 build onto Articuno because of Guzma+Let loose. A good portion of my games I keep on losing because they are going after my vulpix before I get a chance to set up. Also the guzma two prizer is a real let down. The articuno is around a turn or two slower I'll admit that. I do enjoy having another attacker that can also protect my set up. I don't mind giving up 1 or 2 prizes early on. Especially against TTGX decks. And them not being able to Guzma allows the deck to beat Zapbeast. Most of my loses from Articuno came down to a bricked hand from that lack of consistency that A9 offers.

2-2 A9tales, 2 Articuno is what I've been running.
I'm thinking of trying the 70HP squirtle with Green's Exploration as well.

Back