• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Beginner deck?

cheifdan

Aspiring Trainer
hey guys, i've been playing the tcg for a wile and wanted to start making a deck instead of those theme decks,
what is a good cheap but strong deck for beginners
thanks,

I would suggest looking into Golduck/Starmie and Passimian/Mew. They're very fun and cheap decks.

How about Sylveon GX? It hasn't been doing as well as it was hyped but could be good for a beginner deck. Mainly because it doesn't need Tapu Lele and all that.

If I was to suggest a beginner deck, as one without lele, but works well, try Greninja. Its a very solid deck, and actually was my first proper deck. The breaks will be the most expensive part, but its lele-less, and has nice easy ways of searching stuff out. Its going to change a lot with rotation, so be aware.

I may be biased, but Volcanion/Turtonator is a strong and very fun deck that does not require Tapu Lele (still nice though) and all of the Pokémon are $7 or less. Its also undoubtedly a Tier 1 deck and unlike Golduck/Starmie or Passimian it is tested and has few flaws.

It isn't quite as budget as Passimian amd Golduck but Volcanion certainly doesn't break the bank. It also emerges from the rotation essentially unscathed.

How about Sylveon GX? It hasn't been doing as well as it was hyped but could be good for a beginner deck. Mainly because it doesn't need Tapu Lele and all that.
No. This is not a beginner deck. It may be more budget friendly then most decks but it is one of the hardest deck to play in the game because you have to know your deck and your opponent's deck in and out to properly utilize Magical Ribbon search 3 cards effect

No. This is not a beginner deck. It may be more budget friendly then most decks but it is one of the hardest deck to play in the game because you have to know your deck and your opponent's deck in and out to properly utilize Magical Ribbon search 3 cards effect
yea that is true...

Lapras-gx ($5 per lapras) decks are relatively cheap requiring very few Pokemon and it is fairly straightforward to play.

I agree, with Crown axe; sylveon is cheap deck to make, somwhere around 80 for the entire deck, but it is not meant for beginner as you will probably take 45 mins to finish one game to win or lose quickly. Budget wise for beginner seems greninja break and volc i really like that are also contenders.

Definitely Greninja. Very budget friendly, yet one of the most competitive decks available at the moment. I don't know how it will fare post-rotation though so for that reason alone it might be better to look at Volcanion.

So I just want to mention that there's a difference between beginner and budget. Sylveon and Greninja aren't beginner decks. They are complex decks that need to play carfs in a sequence that isn't consistent with other decks. They are less expensive. But I would say a good beginner deck is Drampa Garb because it's a good deck that will let you get around a misplay here or there.

I have played Greninja BREAK decks for a long time, and agree it is not an easy deck to play. While yes it's definitely more budget friendly than almost every other deck in the meta, due to the fact that it doesn't run Tapu Lele. Knowing where to place the Giant Water Shurikens damage, timing your Shadow Stitches, and successfully getting out of a dead hand, all require lots of playtesting and skill. Emphasis on the Shadow Stitch part, because timing when to potentially choose the ability lock over the kill can mean the difference between a win and a loss in such an ability heavy format.

Last edited:
Back