Discussion Beedrill's 240 Attack

Rindon

Aspiring Trainer
I was playing with the deck builder online and put Beedrill from Evolution set with Beedrill EX (I do not have any). Beedrill's Swarming Sting attack does 40 damage times number of beedrill you have in play (active and 5 bench would total 240 damage). With Forest of giant plants the ability to evolve stage 3 isn't as difficult and you would only need to get the Beedrill EX onto the bench to increase the damage. The one big flaw I see with this combo is the two energy needed to attack, although it does damage to any opponent's Pokemon.

Has anyone tried this? Or think it may work as a viable deck?

Beedrill EX doesn't count as a Beedrill. You can only have four Beedrills for max 160 damage. I've been working on a beedrill deck but haven't quite dialled it yet.

I was playing with the deck builder online and put Beedrill from Evolution set with Beedrill EX (I do not have any). Beedrill's Swarming Sting attack does 40 damage times number of beedrill you have in play (active and 5 bench would total 240 damage). With Forest of giant plants the ability to evolve stage 3 isn't as difficult and you would only need to get the Beedrill EX onto the bench to increase the damage. The one big flaw I see with this combo is the two energy needed to attack, although it does damage to any opponent's Pokemon.

this sounds a lot like the round deck, there were a couple pokemon that had it, the main one was meoletta ex and there was like exploud, seismitoad, and clefable i think, but it was very fragile, and didnt have as big of an impact as night march

i hated going against night march it was the bane of my existence

With Forest of giant plants the ability to evolve stage 3 isn't as difficult...

It isn't just Evolving a Stage 2 rapidly and reliably.

It isn't just Evolving two Stage 2 rapidly and reliably.

The goal would be two Evolve three or four of the same Stage 2 rapidly and reliably, and (in addition to meeting the Energy cost) that is where the deck tends to struggle. Four Beedrill, Kakuna, and Weedle mean 12 cards you cannot have a single copy of Prized if you want all four on the field.

It isn't just Evolving a Stage 2 rapidly and reliably.

It isn't just Evolving two Stage 2 rapidly and reliably.

The goal would be two Evolve three or four of the same Stage 2 rapidly and reliably, and (in addition to meeting the Energy cost) that is where the deck tends to struggle. Four Beedrill, Kakuna, and Weedle mean 12 cards you cannot have a single copy of Prized if you want all four on the field.

I initially thought that; however with 4 basic Beedrill ex you only need two evolved Beedrill. That would be six. Assuming you can get them out by turn two to attack. A benefit is that you only really need 3 Beedrill in play to take out Shaymin Ex.

As you also stated the energy cost is a problem because of low hp after you attack turn two, Beedrill possibly will be knocked out, and you now have no energies. Lurantis could help.

I initially thought that; however with 4 basic Beedrill ex you only need two evolved Beedrill. That would be six. Assuming you can get them out by turn two to attack. A benefit is that you only really need 3 Beedrill in play to take out Shaymin Ex.

As you also stated the energy cost is a problem because of low hp after you attack turn two, Beedrill possibly will be knocked out, and you now have no energies. Lurantis could help.

beedrill ex is NOT the same as beedrill

it will not count towards the count of beedrill, i think someone else already said this

Beedrill EX doesn't count as a Beedrill. You can only have four Beedrills for max 160 damage. I've been working on a beedrill deck but haven't quite dialled it yet.
To clarify. Have you tried putting Beedrill ex in a deck with swarming sting and it doesn't count as a Beedrill in play?

beedrill ex is NOT the same as beedrill

it will not count towards the count of beedrill, i think someone else already said this
I read the post from @valisaur that you couldn't play 4 Beedrill ex along with the 4 Beedrill, not that they didn't count in the damage. That definitely helps to clarify the damage.

To clarify. Have you tried putting Beedrill ex in a deck with swarming sting and it doesn't count as a Beedrill in play?
Hi Rindon. It is not necessary to try it. Beedrill and Beedrill EX are two completely different Pokemon, and Swarming Sting only counts your Beedrill in play, not Beedrill EX

Hey, since you seem like a new player you should check out some of the offical resources as they may help to clear up some confusion. (Apologies if you are not new, just not knowing the EX/GX name thing tends to be a new player error)

Here's the link to the official rulebook: http://assets.pokemon.com//assets/cms2/pdf/trading-card-game/rulebook/sm1_rulebook_en.pdf

Page 20 of the rulebook clarifies what does and does not count as a Pokémon's name. Page 24 talks about EX, and 29 talks about GX.

Remember you can have 4 of each. You could have 4 Beedrill, 4 Beedrill EX, and 4 Beedrill GX (if it existed) since the EX/GX make it a different Pokémon. Though for the purpose of Beedrill's attack, as mentioned before, you only count Beedrill in play, not Beedrill EX or GX.

Not related to this specific question, but good resources to know about:

Here's the link to the Compendium, which has FAQs and official rulings on many cards to clarify certain interactions: http://compendium.pokegym.net/compendium-bw.html

Here's the link to several other resources, some are for event organizers not players so skip them: http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/about/tournaments-rules-and-resources/?mo_ar=true&so_ar=true

Maybe try using PRC Beedrill instead? I once tried to use both Beedrill to do 2-hit KOs. That deck is a little clumsy.

Back