• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Basic Fire/Metal Deck

Subodh Gupta

Aspiring Trainer
Hi,

Total novice here. My son (7 years old) is quite a bit interested in playing the card game with his friends.
I have/had no idea on how to create a deck, so one of his friends dad got him a starter deck which has cards from Fire & Metal!

There are about 14 pokemon's:
1 Klink
1 klang
1 klingklang
1 volcanion basic
1 reshiram EX
1 Metagross EX
2 numel
2 camerupt
2 meowth
2 persian​
22 Energy cards
9 fire energy.
7 metal energy.
2 double colourless.
1 metal shield energy.
3 fire burning energy.
1 rainbow energy.

and the rest are trainer (item/supporter) card (Should I list them too?)​

I am open to suggestions to make this better, I have no clue how to. Surely, I do not want to spend a lot of money, but any guidance to help him with his deck would be awesome and much appreciated.

Thank You.

Moved from the TCG Help & Advice into its own thread in the Deck Garage, as this is the forum to post your full 60-card decklists so the community can provide some nifty advice! As such, you'll need to list your Trainer cards too - they're very important parts to making decks! ^.^ ~bbninjas

I am open to suggestions to make this better, I have no clue how to. Surely, I do not want to spend a lot of money, but any guidance to help him with his deck would be awesome and much appreciated.

Thank You.

Hi, I think it's great that you want to encourage your son. If you want a good way to learn the basic rules the free online card game version is a good idea (PTCGO) Though its servers are down at the moment.

Firstly it sounds like he has most of a 'Gear of Fire' theme deck - these are preconstructed decks that are about £10/$13, they come with a lot of different pokemon and energy but aren't consistent, they have variety instead of strategy in mind it seems.

Generally the best idea to improve a theme deck is to have two identical ones and then 'distill' a better deck from both halves.

For example another 'Gears of Fire' theme deck would have the following cards:

2× Volcanion
2× Monferno
3× Chimchar
1× Pyroar
3× Litleo
2× Rapidash
3× Ponyta
2× Klinklang
3× Klang
3× Klink
3× Persian
3× Meowth
2× Energy Retrieval
1× Evosoda
2× Ninja Boy
1× Pokémon Center Lady
2× Professor's Letter
1× Shauna
2× Tierno
1× Ultra Ball
11× Fire Energy
7× Metal Energy

If you combined that with what he has you could make the following:

3× Volcanion
2× Rapidash
3× Ponyta
2× Monferno
3× Chimchar

3× Klinklang
4× Klang
4× Klink
1x Reshiram EX
1x Metagross EX
2× Energy Retrieval
2× Evosoda
2× Ninja Boy
1× Pokémon Center Lady
2× Professor's Letter
2× Shauna
2× Tierno
2× Ultra Ball
7× Fire Energy
7× Metal Energy
2x Double Colourless
2x Burning Enegy
1x Shield Energy

Which would be more consistent.

I
Hi, I think it's great that you want to encourage your son. If you want a good way to learn the basic rules the free online card game version is a good idea (PTCGO) Though its servers are down at the moment.

Firstly it sounds like he has most of a 'Gear of Fire' theme deck - these are preconstructed decks that are about £10/$13, they come with a lot of different pokemon and energy but aren't consistent, they have variety instead of strategy in mind it seems.

Generally the best idea to improve a theme deck is to have two identical ones and then 'distill' a better deck from both halves.

2× Volcanion
2× Monferno
3× Chimchar
1× Pyroar
3× Litleo
2× Rapidash
3× Ponyta
2× Klinklang
3× Klang
3× Klink
3× Persian
3× Meowth
2× Energy Retrieval
1× Evosoda
2× Ninja Boy
1× Pokémon Center Lady
2× Professor's Letter
1× Shauna
2× Tierno
1× Ultra Ball
11× Fire Energy
7× Metal Energy

3× Volcanion
2× Rapidash
3× Ponyta
2× Monferno
3× Chimchar

3× Klinklang
4× Klang
4× Klink
1x Reshiram EX
1x Metagross EX
2× Energy Retrieval
2× Evosoda
2× Ninja Boy
1× Pokémon Center Lady
2× Professor's Letter
2× Shauna
2× Tierno
2× Ultra Ball
7× Fire Energy
7× Metal Energy
2x Double Colourless
2x Burning Enegy
1x Shield Energy

It isn't that much more consistent. 19 energy is far too excessive.

Maybe you could restructure this deck and build a Typhlosion deck. Typhlosion is from the XY Breakthrough set and singles only cost about $2.49 a piece. The evolutions are even cheaper. The deck usually uses 22-26 fire energy and minimal Trainers, making it very cheap. Energy cards are about 2-5 cents, and the staple cards required are not much more expensive. The best part about this deck is it can hit up to 400 damage, knocking out everything in the game. In other words, your son will love this deck, and your wallet won't be bawling.

Pricing-
4 Cyndaquil XY Breakthrough-@$.49=$1.96
2 Quilava XY Breakthrough-@$.25=$.50
4 Typhlosion XY Breakthrough-@$2.49=$9.96
4 Rare Candy XY Primal Clash-@$2.09=$8.36
4 Random Receiver XY Fates Collide-@$.20=$.80
4 Energy Recycler XY Ancient Origins-@$.25=$1.00
2 Super Rod XY Breakthrough-@$1.99=$3.98
3 Ultra Ball XY Fates Collide-@$.80=$2.40
3 Skyla XY Breakthrough-saw 4 for $3.00 on eBay
25 Fire Energy
The rest is up to you.

Thank You So much. I will see if I can make the deck like you said.

2× Volcanion
2× Monferno
3× Chimchar
1× Pyroar
3× Litleo
2× Rapidash
3× Ponyta
2× Klinklang
3× Klang
3× Klink
3× Persian
3× Meowth
2× Energy Retrieval
1× Evosoda
2× Ninja Boy
1× Pokémon Center Lady
2× Professor's Letter
1× Shauna
2× Tierno
1× Ultra Ball
11× Fire Energy
7× Metal Energy

3× Volcanion
2× Rapidash
3× Ponyta
2× Monferno
3× Chimchar

3× Klinklang
4× Klang
4× Klink
1x Reshiram EX
1x Metagross EX
2× Energy Retrieval
2× Evosoda
2× Ninja Boy
1× Pokémon Center Lady
2× Professor's Letter
2× Shauna
2× Tierno
2× Ultra Ball
7× Fire Energy
7× Metal Energy
2x Double Colourless
2x Burning Enegy
1x Shield Energy

Maybe you could restructure this deck and build a Typhlosion deck. Typhlosion is from the XY Breakthrough set and singles only cost about $2.49 a piece. The evolutions are even cheaper. The deck usually uses 22-26 fire energy and minimal Trainers, making it very cheap. Energy cards are about 2-5 cents, and the staple cards required are not much more expensive. The best part about this deck is it can hit up to 400 damage, knocking out everything in the game. In other words, your son will love this deck, and your wallet won't be bawling.

Pricing-
4 Cyndaquil XY Breakthrough-@$.49=$1.96
2 Quilava XY Breakthrough-@$.25=$.50
4 Typhlosion XY Breakthrough-@$2.49=$9.96
4 Rare Candy XY Primal Clash-@$2.09=$8.36
4 Random Receiver XY Fates Collide-@$.20=$.80
4 Energy Recycler XY Ancient Origins-@$.25=$1.00
2 Super Rod XY Breakthrough-@$1.99=$3.98
3 Ultra Ball XY Fates Collide-@$.80=$2.40
3 Skyla XY Breakthrough-saw 4 for $3.00 on eBay
25 Fire Energy
The rest is up to you.

Thank you. Appreciate your suggestion. Two is more than what I was hoping for. You guys are awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back