• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format Base Set Deck (Charizard / Venusaur)

thedemonbarber

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon: 18
  • 4 Bulbasaur
  • 1 Ivysaur
  • 4 Venusaur
  • 4 Charmander
  • 1 Charmeleon
  • 4 Charizard
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 35
  • 4 Pokémon Breeder
  • 4 Professor Oak
  • 4 Bill
  • 4 Computer Search
  • 2 Item Finder
  • 2 Gust of Wind
  • 2 Defender
  • 2 Goop Gas Attack
  • 4 Super Potion
  • 2 Energy Removal
Energy: 12
  • 12 Grass Energy

Strategy:

So, I just started playing a year a two ago, so I never played base set, but upon looking at the three kanto starter cards I had an idea. If I am understanding these cards correctly, I can us venusaur on the bench like an aromatisse to heal with max potion as well as stockpile energy. Given all of this, I can use charizard's ability to change the grass into fire when attached to him. Is that the way it works? Am I missing something? If it is the case, thoughts on how to modify it to make it better, assuming its' only playing against base set decks?

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkness3827

Aspiring Trainer
If I remember correctly Poke-Powers can only be used when the pokemon is active. Poke-Bodies are what can be used whenever the pokemon is in play. So you would not be able to do that (unless you have Venusaur in, used his poke-power then switched for Charizard and used his).

Mora

Don't Panic
That's not printed on the card. I don't know if that was a rule in the rule book that the Pokemon had to be Active to use it's Power or something, but I've never heard that before.

As for the deck, it sounds fairly slow compared to the meta back then. There was a lot of Haymaker decks, which was the "Big Basics" of the day, and Wigglytuff's Do the Wave was a deck as well. Every deck runs Energy Removal, and I think that card would give you a lot of trouble. That's about the full extent of my knowledge of the Base Set format.

Darkness3827

Aspiring Trainer
That's not printed on the card. I don't know if that was a rule in the rule book that the Pokemon had to be Active to use it's Power or something, but I've never heard that before.
Yeah, I am wrong. It has been so long since I have played with those cards I kind of forgot the difference between the 2. Oops. Poke-Power you have to use, Poke-Body is something that is always in effect. Has nothing to do with active vs benched.

So in the end the strat seems to work fine.

Professor Oak

Aspiring Trainer
Base set Charizard is a very much overlooked card in the format because of its expensive attack and difficulty setting up. I have never thought of combining it with Venusaur to keep energy steadily flowing. On paper it shouldn't be that bad of a deck. I suspect the low HP basics will not be consistent and you may consider adding Chanseys to your deck. Double colorless energies also work well with Charizard, and energy retrievals are a must.