Baby it's cold outside (hail team, 5th gen OU)

47bennyg

Hmmmm
So far I've made several 5th gen teams, and to this point I have been not successful whatsoever. So to build this team I resurrected one of my "fun" teams from 4th gen: my hail team. With a huge improvement to one of its members (Cloyster) the team seemed that it may have some competitive viability. So after a little retooling and testing, here is my new team:

10to1-6055297.jpg

Abomasnow (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Blizzard
- HP Fire
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball
You really can't have a team in the hail without him.
EDIT: I have changed Abomasnow from a Subseed set to a choice scarf set. It gave him more longevity. Still not sure about the moves it is carrying though.

Cloyster%5B1%5D.png

Cloyster (M) @ White Herb
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 236 HP / 96 Atk / 96 Def / 80 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rock Blast
- Icicle Spear
- Rapid Spin
- Shell Smash

With the addition of Shell Smash into Cloyster's arsenal, he can be a potent sweeper. The EVs are spread around to give Cloyster 500 attack, 392 speed, and 462 defense after one Shell Smash (with white herb factored in). With Skill Link, Rock Blast and Icicle Spear are Cloyster's best attacks, and Rapid Spin is included for desperately needed hazard relief. 5 pokemon (including Cloyster) are weak to Stealth Rock and without this spin support it is much harder to win.

230.png

Kingdra (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SAtk / 224 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Blizzard
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Hydro Pump

Choice Specs Kingdra is very powerful and sometimes unexpected. Draco Meteor and Hydro Pump are the most powerful STAB moves for each type, while Dragon Pulse is included for a little bit more reliability than Draco Meteor. Blizzard is used here due to it being 100% accurate, but I am open to suggestions on what to swap this for.

Arcanine.png

Arcanine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- Morning Sun
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed

Arcanine is my latest addition to my team and it really improves it. The team does not have much physical attack power, but Arcanine fixes that problem. Usually I bring him in on Fire attacks directed at Froslass or Abomasnow and get a boost from Flash Fire and attack back. Arcanine also fixes a big Steel weakness and weakness to Tyranitar. With sandstorm and STAB Stone Edge most of my team falls, but a faster Close Combat will handle that. The problem is that life orb really decreases his life expectancy and I usually get one Flare Blitz in and I have to switch out; I might try using Expert Belt.

froslass.png

Froslass (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Blizzard
- Spikes
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave

Ah, Froslass. The queen o' hax. Although frail, Froslass becomes quite long-lived with Snow Cloak. First T-wave and then hide behind a sub until the hax come in your favor with a miss or a turn of full paralysis. Then, set up spikes and finish off with STAB Blizzard.

walrein.png

Walrein (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Ice Body
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Def / 36 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Blizzard
- Protect
- Super Fang
- Substitute

Walrein is the King of the Hail stall. By using sub, protect, leftovers, and ice body, he is heals 25% damage after 2 turns, coincidentally the same amount of health as a sub costs. Super Fang is used to cut some pokemon down to size for more stalling and Blizzard is in case STAB is needed.

Change kindra's ability to Sniper, give Walrien toxic, and exchange arcanine for reuniclus or something like that (you are aware that morning sun is weakened in hail, right?).

Yes. The reason I kept Morning Sun on Arcanine was because of ninetales. I would get a lot of ninetales switches into abomasnow. Then I would absorb a flamethrower from ninetales then hit hard with flare blitz and recover with morning sun. But thank you, I will test the team out with the changes you suggested. Which move should Walrein lose for toxic? Super Fang?

-Ch'Ding!-

I feel that this team is really, offensively oriented, and should stay as such. With that being said, I think you should drop Froslass and/or Walrein, for a more offensive pokemon. I also feel like you really threw them in just because they are Ice Types, you know? They don't go with the flow of the rest of the team. Look, You have standard Abomasnow, (which I'd reccomend be changed to the scarf set, it'll get farther), Sweeping Cloyster, Specs Kindra, and a Wall Breaking Arcanine. With that being said, lets look even closer:

Abomasnow - Revenge Killer/Hail Starter

Cloyster - Hail Sweeper

Kingdra, Rain Abuse/Powerhouse

Arcanine - Sun Abuse/Wall Breaker

Now, You need something for Sandstorm. I feel that the best choice for your team would be something that not only appreciates hail being up, but stops most SS pokemon. Right now, I see your best option being either Scizor, Jirachi, or Mamoswine. Looking at your team right now, I think Jirachi would be the best choice, because it's getting that rock resist that you desperately need. Not only that, but it can stop TTar in its tracks. I'd reccomend the FlinchRachi set for this situation, as it spreads around a lot of status, which is going to be great for all your pokemon right now, who aren't too fast to begin with. Now, about that speed problem. I feel that you could easily be taken by storm by a Terrakion, or really anything faster than him. Rock, Fighting, and Ground are your 3 big problems right now. You need something who can take all three, and really stop them. now, Looking at pokemon who could stop those, Cofagrigus and Dusclops come to mind. Now, Looking at both, Dusclops is better defensively, but Cofagrigus can reliably stop Guts users thanks to mummy. So now, you make a choice, Cofagrigus or Dusclops? If you feel like you could handle pokemon such as Gliscor, Heracross, and Conkeldurr, then use Dusclops. Although in reality, It doesn't appear that you honestly could. So If I were you, i'd go with Cofagrigus, solely for it's ability to stop those three, and stop other threats of those types. Hope I helped.

Thanks for your advice, Assassin! You are right about those pokes slowing me down. It was different when Cloyster couldn't use Shell Smash and he was a little more defensive with spikes and t-spikes. I'll take your suggestions and test them out!

i think you should keep that wailren
i use one pretty similar to that in my hail team and it works wonders
and you might wanna change the evs on your abomasnow for that moveset to make him more of a staller
but thats only if you keep the moveset you have on there right now

Hmm..maybe you should add a Stealth Rock pokemon, arcanine is already loosing a lot of health, if he can't OHKO, he's a bit limited..Rocks would help him getting his OHKO, with the life orb, he can kill 3 pokes before fainting, if he's not killed before.

And maybe you could add steelix too puahah@ cuz it loves to curse on ennemies staller haha gotta hate Blissey Gliscor and Nattorei xD

Back