Attacks That Discard Tools

GengarGuys

"Pickle Enthusiast"
Hey Pokebeach, I am running a quite ability reliant deck, each Pokemon in the deck has an ability in fact, and I was wondering if there is a card that discards tools with an attack. Thanks for the help. If you wanna know about the deck, pm me!

Frosstoise

Pokemon Connoisseur
The upcoming Beedrill EX discards two opponent tools for [C], which may see a bit of play (though that's a pretty hefty amount of risk for the effect, IMHO.) Also, the Evolutions Raticate looks like it will discard an attached tool from the opponent's active. This again though is not terribly useful, since another tool can always be attached; we'll just see more Float Stones included in decks with Garbodor.

My advice would be to throw in lots of Lysandre/Pokemon Catcher, and focus in on Trubbish/Garbodor as quickly as possible to clear them off the field. Be sure to have something to fall back to that doesn't rely on abilities in your deck too, in case plan A doesn't pan out :)

GengarGuys

"Pickle Enthusiast"
Thanks, I'll attempt a run with a single Beedrill-EX but 2 prizes may hurt me. I am also playing all DCE so I'll have to throw in some basic energy which of course will decrease my consistency drastically.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Something I noticed is decks that use Garbodor aren't really optimized to run them. They kind of exist in the deck, which can be taken advantage of... As long as their deck isn't optimized.

Minccino from Fates has a move that discards a tool from anywhere on the board. It does it for a random energy and gives up a prize card. I don't think an attack is a way to do this since you're giving up your turn to deal with a bench sitter that could have a tool attached to it again, meaning you just put your opponent one step closer to their win condition BUT I should say Minccino works much better than I though.

For example, when a <un-optimized Garbodor deck> gets a tool down on it, they will more than likely discard the others and these type if decks run between 3 to 6 tool cards and it may be hard for them to get another tool down. If they miss that turn, then you have your abilities back. You can even hammer it in by Lysandring Garbodor to the active spot (lets face it, you're giving up your turn so why not) and then you can remove the tool from Garbodor with Minccino forcing your opponent to have more cards to move Garbodor or have a very specific card to move it, which is even better because now they can't put down a Spirit Link or FFB to turn off your abilities since they now need to have a Float Stone.

That even gives utility to Beedrill EX because you drag Garbodor to the active and can discard the tool attached to it AND something else and having 160 health (200 with FFB) is a lot of bulk when your opponent needs very specific cards to get out of the active spot. As of now, I think Minccino is the best option and a 2 copies of it in the deck should help the match up. Also Curing Sweep Cinccino isn't a super bad card either should Minccino survive the turn. Also the trade between Spirit Link and attack based tool discard is balanced since it creates a one for one.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Moved from the TCG Competitive Play to the TCG Help & Advice as the OP is looking for help in finding a certain card. I'm not merging this thread with the "Is There A Card That Does This?" Thread since significant discussion has already begun, but in future, it'd be great if you could post in the linked thread when asking these sort of questions! ~bbninjas

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Expanded:

Skarmory-EX
Pidgey FLF

Standard:

Fletchinder ROS
Raticate BKP