TCG Fakes Athena's Fakes: Rainbow Valley (Promo Umbreon - 10 Jun)

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
I'd also like to do Skarmory for Rainbow Valley, if that's okay.
The Umbreon is already claimed, so I will not be using your card. However, I have added you to the list for Skarmory.

In the future, please wait until I have confirmed your claim before making a card, just in case someone has already claimed it (like the Umbreon). Also, as I've clarified in the OP and above in this post, each person is only allowed to claim one Pokémon or evolutionary line at a time, and I want everyone to be able to participate so I will not be allowing second claims until you original claim is complete. I'll tag you when the card(s) is/are done so you know. :)
Ah, sorry about that. :) I will in the future.

uic

Aspiring Trainer
@Athena

are you an artist? it seems like you will be doing most of the images for these card ideas you have!

looking forward to seeing them!

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Yep, I plan on doing art for each and every card. :) I'm not a very good artist, but I enjoy drawing, and the more practice I get the more I'll improve. You can see a lot of my art over at my art thread. :3

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
And my first official, non-jokey fake card is complete! Much thanks to @Ms Hugo for providing the text for this card. :3

sjGSPDp.png

I had to eyeball a lot of stuff and I'm still very new at this, so feel free to point out any flaws or corrections or suggestions. :D Any assistance will help me learn and improve.

I had my first faking "issue" while making this card. I used the pack of blanks that CMP gave me to make the foundation, but it wasn't until I was adding symbols for W/R that I realized there was so swoosh for the Resistance! Sure enough, the blank pack was missing those, too. I ended up going to CMP's dA page, looking up some discussions he had about creating those, and finding a swoosh compilation made by another faker. I was able to take the proper swoosh and add the shadowing effects myself. I think it turned out pretty swell!

I decided to make a little promo p/star combo as a symbol for these "extra" cards. I plan on making a symbol for Rainbow Valley when I start working on Goomy soon, too. :D

If you'd like a better look at the Umbreon, you can check out a larger version over in my art thread.

GadgetJax

Traveling Storyteller and Card Faker
So, you're using Neo Redux blanks for cards with modern power level? Sounds cool!

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
So, you're using Neo Redux blanks for cards with modern power level? Sounds cool!

Yep! I like using these blanks for their aesthetics, but I prefer working in a modern format. When I'm more familiar with playing around with blanks, I even plan to mess around with them a bit to make EXes and Megas and such. :D

GadgetJax

Traveling Storyteller and Card Faker
Yep! I like using these blanks for their aesthetics, but I prefer working in a modern format. When I'm more familiar with playing around with blanks, I even plan to mess around with them a bit to make EXes and Megas and such. :D

How are you going to do Ability-esque effects? Are you going to keep them as Powers and Bodies, or will you use the Ability concept? Either way, I like this kind of direction you're going in.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Pure Abilities are going to be kept straight, just with text only instead of using the ability-box images that are used in modern cards; you'll be able to see that in action with some of the upcoming cards. Adding new Ability-like effects (such as the newer Ancient Traits) is going to take a bit of finagling. I'm probably going to do some research and make a custom text box or so. It's important to find a nice balance between using a style that matches the Neo originals while still using the new mechanics. It'll be fun when I get there! :D

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
So... is this still happening? I've got Goodra done, if this is still a thing.

Yep! It's just going to be a little while between cards since I'm drawing all of the art for each card and I don't exactly have a while lot of free time to draw and make cards on top of everything else I do during the day, so there will probably be a card every 1-2 weeks or so as time permits. I actually just finished my art for Goomy yesterday and hope to make the card up for it today.

So, yeah, don't expect updates every day or so like some of the faster folk. :p

professorlight

Ice Queen
Yep! It's just going to be a little while between cards since I'm drawing all of the art for each card and I don't exactly have a while lot of free time to draw and make cards on top of everything else I do during the day, so there will probably be a card every 1-2 weeks or so as time permits. I actually just finished my art for Goomy yesterday and hope to make the card up for it today.

So, yeah, don't expect updates every day or so like some of the faster folk. :p

They just don't get us, athena. Loved the goomies, by the way.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
And my first Rainbow Valley card is now complete! Everyone say hello to Goomy:

Click for larger view!

Much thanks to @thegrovylekid for providing the card text! :3

Last edited:

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
I wanted to make something fun with Blui's new HGSS blanks. Enjoy!

pPFioqA.png

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Look at me being a dork and making more non-Pokémon cards with Blui's new blanks. It's amusing to me to try and recreate other series concepts into the Pokémon TCG. I kind of guessed at most of the wording for this one, but I think it came out pretty decent, all things considered.

In the specific case for FE, I was torn between using classes or names for various cards, but ended up settling for classes since I think it would make promotion easier to understand. I could also see a case for some specific cards perhaps actually using named units, like ultra rares and such, but I dunno. I'm sick so my brain goes on lots of weird tangents and I don't even understand what it's talking about most of the time.

oiqDdrd.png