Writing Athena Plays Pokémon Moon - Choose My Starter + Naming Theme!

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Y91U0oH.png

I wanted to play Pokémon Moon for my next playthrough here, but I need some help deciding what kind of playthrough it's going to be and how I'm going to write it! :D As such, I'm turning to the community to see what kind of a playthrough you'd like to see.

Just answer some quick questions to provide some opinions and you'll be a bit help!

1. What type of playthrough should I do?

There are lots of different types of Pokémon playthroughs. So pick which one you'd like to see me tackle! Here are some potential options:
  • Traditional Nuzlucke - Lots of rules, but the important ones are: can only catch one new Pokémon eacgh area/route, all Pokémon must be nicknamed, Pokémon that faint in battle are dead and cannot be used again.
  • Wonderlocke - Similar to a traditional Nuzlocke, but each Pokémon I catch are immediately Wonder Traded away and I instead keep whichever Pokémon is WTed back to me.
  • Choose My Team - The community suggests Pokémon for me to use and I form a team of six Pokémon from the suggestions. I can only use those six Pokémon for the run.
  • Mono-Type Run - The community suggests a certain type of Pokémon and all Pokémon I used have to have that typing.
  • ??? - Have an idea for a type of run that I haven't listed that you'd like to see? Feel free to suggest it!
Don't worry about suggesting specifics for now (eg., what type to use for a mono-type run), because I'll open up separate suggestions for those kinds of things if/as necessary.

2. Who should the narrator be?

There are a few different options for how I narrate the game. The simplest would just be to narrate from the perspective of the character as they appear in the game (in this case, I'd effectively be Moon who just moved to Alola from Kanto), but I have a few other options:
  • Jessie from Team Rocket. I've already done an XY WonderLocke from the perspective of Jessie and it was a blast. She's a character I can really get my head into.
  • Another established Pokémon character.
  • A new original character with a different background. I could open up suggestions for input from the community, or just make one up myself.
  • Something else??

3. What kind of writing style should I use?

I can either go for a full written, story-style playthrough, or a more casual, chat-like playthrough like I've done for my recent FE playthroughs. The former would be a lot more detailed and in-depth, especially for things like battling, whereas the latter would be lighter and more humour-based.

4. Any other questions or suggestions? Feel free to post! :D

Last edited:
I think a Nuzlocke where each Pokémon was named after a different member would be fun and could give each of your Pokémon more personality. I'd also love to see the Chat-like playthrougs a la FE versions.

Looking forward to this!

Nuzlockes are always interesting to read, and I think nicknaming the Pokemon after members like TGK said would be a neat idea. I'm also up for the narrator being Jessie.

Wedlocke. (Nuzlocke with male+female pairs). Create pairs between male and female Pokemon named after forum members.

I would not do member names in a situation like a Nuzlocke where I would have to be naming people after Pokémon on the fly. I'm just not really comfortable with that sort of thing. ^^; If we want to have Pokémon named after members, it would have to be a situation where those names are assigned by other members to Pokémon ahead of time, like a CMT run or so.

I would not do member names in a situation like a Nuzlocke where I would have to be naming people after Pokémon on the fly. I'm just not really comfortable with that sort of thing. ^^; If we want to have Pokémon named after members, it would have to be a situation where those names are assigned by other members to Pokémon ahead of time, like a CMT run or so.

Well, it doesn't have to be members; you could name them after fruits, veggies, countries, etc. It just needs to be a singular naming theme.

Wonderlocke. I absolutely love those. Jessie as a narrator? That amuses me way too much. Go with that! I'd love to see some chat-like playthrough here as well. Also agreeing with TGK's idea of naming your Pokemon after members is really cool. Looking forward to it! :D

Wedlocke, with the perspective of the main character. It would be cool to have a full written style, giving depth to the characters and Pokemon. Whatever happens, I'm looking forward to this! :D

I'd actually like this a lot, especially if we did it with Nuzlocke rules!

Wonderlocke is my favorite of the lockes. You run the risk of getting nothing but Yungoos, but there's also the chance of getting something spectacular. :3

As for the narrator, my vote is for Meowth (of Team Rocket). I feel there'd be room for a lot of hilarity due to his sass and tendency to overexaggerate, as well as throwing in his Brooklyn accent here and there.

Also if you go the member-names route, I request any Purrloin to be named after me... :p

Apocalocke, because it is a super fun locke to do, which I did. Here is a link to it: http://nuzlocke.wikia.com/wiki/Apocalocke

This is actually a really cool concept, but I don't really know the world of Sun/Moon enough to pull it off narratively in this game. I think I'll save that for a future playthrough of another Pokémon game that I'm more familiar with. ^^

Wonderlocke is my favorite of the lockes. You run the risk of getting nothing but Yungoos, but there's also the chance of getting something spectacular. :3

I'd probably include a dupes clause for a Wonderlocke/Nuzlocke, just for fun and variety.

On that note, let's do an official tally of what votes we've gotten in so far!

Playthrough Type:
Wonderlocke - 4
Nuzlocke - 3
Wedlocke - 2
Apocalocke - 1 (fun looking, but vetoed in favour of doing it later with another more familiar game for a better written experience)

Writing Style:
Chat-Style - 2
Full Written - 2

Narrator:
Jessie - 2
Meowth - 2
Moon - 2

Last edited:
I vote for a Wonderlocke simply because it's a bit more random. As for a narrator, Meowth sounds absolutely hilarious - I would definitely go for that. ^.^

I don't think I would actually do a Meowth narration playthrough; it's a bit too weird for me, but it is a funny suggestion. :p

I would say a normal nuzlocke tbh. Because if you do a wonderlocke you cant name the mons which i think is an important part of the experience (as in bonding and so on and so forth)
And narrator wise i would suggest either the main protagonist (maybe as letters you write to home?) Or e.g. as a person like Mr. Briney was in ORAS. A sailor who goes from town to town just like the main protagonist does. Or a wanderer or what ever.

Have you ever heard of a Wedlocke? If not, it's much the same as a nuzlocke, but you pair mon up. One male, one female. Once paired, only death can separate them. Once one of them is sent into battle, it can only swap with his/her partner. So once you have a full party, you have 3 pairs of male female. Normal Nuzlocke rules apply for catching a pokemon, but with an extra rule. If you have a pokemon without a partner, then your first encounter is the first mon that is the opposite gender. For example, if you walk into a new route and you have a female without a male, then only the first male counts as your first encounter. If you have a full party, or every mon has a partner, then you ignore gender.

I can provide a video with a full explanation for rules if you want.

Have you ever heard of a Wedlocke? If not, it's much the same as a nuzlocke, but you pair mon up. One male, one female. Once paired, only death can separate them. Once one of them is sent into battle, it can only swap with his/her partner. So once you have a full party, you have 3 pairs of male female. Normal Nuzlocke rules apply for catching a pokemon, but with an extra rule. If you have a pokemon without a partner, then your first encounter is the first mon that is the opposite gender. For example, if you walk into a new route and you have a female without a male, then only the first male counts as your first encounter. If you have a full party, or every mon has a partner, then you ignore gender.

I can provide a video with a full explanation for rules if you want.

A few people have already suggested Wedlockes, yeah. I'm not super fond of the concept, though, so I'm less inclined to pick a Wedlocke over a different kind of run unless people are overwhelmingly in favour of it.

Right now, it's looking like Wonderlocke is the winner, with the others in deadlock. If no one else speaks up, I'll probably go full-written/Moon just for something a bit different. I'll leave this open for another day or so if anyone else feels like chiming in. :) Expect a first chapter probably tomorrow!

Back