Writing Athena Plays Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword - Final Chapter & Epilogue

Should I also make up a fake Support chain between Athena and Luispipe/Cypher to make up for their lack of support in the playthrough? If so, which one? Since there are no actual Support conversations with the tactician at all, I would likely take one of their Supports with someone else and rework it to fit the playthrough, if you guys decide it's something you'd like to see. If there's no interest, I won't bother.

Hmm... wasn't this already approved? :p

Anyway, Hector Mode \o/ "yay!" :p

Darn it, I believe the fog was one of the most difficult war conditions... :/ But it 'aint nothing for a master tactician ;)

The chapter was as enjoyable as the others. Can't wait to step into action as the "big guy." :p

A few people have stepped forward and expressed a desire, so I'll probably do it.

Chapter 10: It's the final showdown~

Taking Eagler's words to heart, we quickly covered the remaining distance to Castle Caelin, taking cover at the last possible hiding spot to formulate our plan of attack.

<TGK> Alright, the castle is right behind these mountains. We're almost there.
<Robin> Man, there are a lot of mountains around here...
<BB> Grandpa, we'll be with you soon!
<Athena> By now Lundgren probably knows about the neutrality of his neighbors so he knows that he can't expect reinforcements from them. He'll probably come at us with everything he can muster.
<BB> Well, if it's a fight he wants, we'll bring it to him. Friends, lend me your strength (or magic) one last time!​

We began our march to the east around the mountains, all except Robin whom I sent scouting south over the foothills where she tangled with a few Mercs. Luis handled the initial wave of enemies approaching the main body of our army, but then it began to rain, and Vom took the forefront, leading everyone to the bridge and south to get to the castle. A nearby village gave BB an Energy Ring which she quickly used to gain an advantage, and then TGK, PP, and Luis headed south to flank the castle and pick up a few weapons from the local armory.

Eventually the remaining Caelin soldiers were dead or scattered and only Lundgren hinmself was left. PP and Vom both whittled down his health from afar, but BB insisted on being the one to take him down herself.

<Lundgren> So, you're the imposter girl looking to delude my brother!
<BB> Look, you can drop the farce. It's just the both of us, and we both know you're lying through your teeth.
<Lundgren> Bah, it doesn't matter if you're legitimate anyway. No Sacaen mongrel has a place in the royal house of Caelin!
<BB> I'd rather be a Sacaen mongrel than a back-stabbing kin slayer. You've disgraced your name and the people of Caelin. And I will be your end! *stab*
<Lundgren> The throne... should be... mine... x_x;
<BB> Jerk. *kicks*​

Within Lundgren finally dead and out of our hair, BB seized the gate and we rushed into the castle, eager to find the Marquess before it was too late.

<Chancellor> You must be Lady bbninjas. Please come this way. I will take you to see your grandfather.
<BB> You believe me? :O
<Chancellor> Yes, TGK and Kent sent word of you before they arrived, though Lundgren locked me up when he discovered that I knew the truth.
<Athena> Then how did you...
<Chancellor> Never mind that now, we must hurry. Please don't be shocked by what you see... the Marquess is pretty ravaged by the poison, but still alive.
<MarquessCaelin> Ugh... I said no visitors... please just leave me... to die... in peace...
<BB> Um... sorry to bother you sir, but my name is bbninjas.
<MC> bb... ninjas... is that...
<BB> My mother was Madelyn, and I was raised on the plains.
<MC> Could it really be... come here and let me... see your face.... Yes! It really is... Madelyn's daughter...
CG09.png

<BB> It's so good to finally meet you, grandfather.
<MC> Lundgren told me... that you died... thank you... for living...
<BB> Your daughter is dead, but I am happy to be here for you. <3
<MC> Please forgive me... if I had only... accepted your parents' love... none of this would have happened...
<BB> Well, we were happy together on the plains, too (until the bandits came anyway), so it's ok, really, I forgive you.
<MC> Knowing that my daughter lived a life of happiness.... surely, now I can die in peace....
<BB> No way! >:|
<MC> I've taken too much poison... I can't live... much longer.
<BB> Never! If you only believe in yourself and have a strong heart, you were prevail through this and recover. I know, because I'm the protagonist. I'll tell you all about myself, and your daughter's life, and when you're better, we can take a vacation to Sacae!
<MC> Well... I guess I'll give living a try....​

Some unspecified time later...

<TGK> So, BB, you're really going to stick around?
<BB> Until grandpa is well at the very least. He's already improving; the doctors said so.
<TGK> It's all thanks to your beautiful face. :3
<BB> He's the only family I have left... I want to be with him...
<Robin> *runs over* BB! Good news! House Caelin accepted me into service! :3
<BB> Yay! I'm so happy for you! :D
<Athena> I'm glad you'll have some good friends here with you, since it's time for me to take my leave as well.
<BB> I guess I knew it was coming. :< Thanks for all your help, though! You've been an awesome tactician. <3
<Athena> Take care!
<BB> You too... I hope I'll see you again...
CG10.png

<Athena> Oh, I'm sure you will... *walks off into the sunset*​

Athena is only the first of BB's companions to leave. Althrough TGK and Robin will be staying nearby, the others all said their goodbyes as well in the coming days. Vom slipped out secretly in the night and no one really knows where he went. Luis departed with Serra to take her back to Ostia before leaving to visit his mentor in Etruria. Celever and SM went back to their traveling performances. PP stuck around the longest but eventually left to travel with a mercenary friend of his. In Caelin, BB stayed with her grandfather and helped him grow healthier and stronger with each passing day...

To be continued...

Final Lyn Mode Team!

BB
- Lv. 9 Lord
TGK - Lv. 7 Cavalier
Robin - Lv. 8 Pegasus Knight
Luis - Lv. 8 Mage
Vom - Lv. 10 Nomad
Celever - Lv. 8 Bard
PP - Lv. 7 Monk

Decisions!

We still have a few things to finalize for our picks. I'll leave these options open until the end of Lyn's Mode (Ch. 10) or until they've been finalized, whichever is sooner.

Supports: Skyleaf and TGK seem to have the most support, so we'll go ahead and roll with that. That leaves us with only one remaining Support voting option:

Should I also make up a fake Support chain between Athena and Luispipe/Cypher to make up for their lack of support in the playthrough? If so, which one? Since there are no actual Support conversations with the tactician at all, I would likely take one of their Supports with someone else and rework it to fit the playthrough, if you guys decide it's something you'd like to see. If there's no interest, I won't bother.

Player Notes

Despite this being the final battle of Lyn's mode, it's actually pretty easy. Few enemies and even fewer reinforcements. Lundgren himself is a Lv. 5 general, but Magic + Mani Katti took him down pretty easily.

This chapter does have kind of a weird and uncommon mechanic: rain. Throughout the chapter, the weather would switch between rain and clear, and when it's raining, all character suffer a severe movement penalty. In chapter explanation says that Vom is less effected by the rain because of his time living outdoors on the plains, though he only gets one extra movement square (3) compared to the 2 movement of most of the others (Robin can also move 3 squares). It's not really difficult, though, since it just forces you to move a bit more slowly, and the enemies are also slow.

The name of the chapter really should have been "feed as much EXP to Vom as possible", since that was my main goal. Most of the other Lyn mode characters will be rejoining us fairly quickly, but we won't be seeing him for a while, and I wanted to give him as much of a boost as possible. I debated giving him the Energy Ring instead of BB, but BB's Str base and growths are lower, and we'll be using her more, so I ended up opting for her instead.

Tomorrow's chapter will be the formal start of Hector mode. We'll be restarting with Green as our main Lord and picking up new and old units as we go along. There will also be no more tutorial bits, so finally everyone will listen to me. I hope you will enjoy it! <3

Chapter 11: Lord Green stomps into action!

One year later...

Marquess Pherea, the father of our good friend NotJim, has been missing for a little over a month. Many nobles throughout Lycia are gossiping about what could have happened to him, but Lord Icarus, the Marquess of Ostia, gives zero &@(%$. Icarus's younger brother Green, however, is very concerned, since NotJim is his BFF, and he's obviously pretty concerned about his dad. A very calm and patient individual, Green politely discusses the situation with his brother...

<Green> Icarus! Where the %#$( are you?! >:|
<Oswin> Lord Green ... please chill. -_-;
<Green> Not until that lazy asshole tells me why he doesn't give a crap about my friends dad. >:|
<Icarus> I'm here, I'm here... what's up, bro?
<Green> You know full well what's up! >_<
<Icarus> *sigh* This is about Marquess Pherae isn't it. I've already told you countless times that it's of no concern to Ostia. It would be a folly to get ourselves involved.
<Green> Look, we all know that Marquess Laus is involved in this, and we've got the biggest military this side of Bern. Let's just go punch him in the face and get this thing solved.
<Icarus> Oh, yes, indeed, invading another realm of Lycia is certainly bound to solve this problem instead of creating a whole host of messes. Are you out of your damn mind?
<Green> You know what, fine, I'm tired of your excuses. Just sit on your throne and rot to death. I'll go figure this out on my own. *storms off*
<Oswin> Lord Green, I--
<Icarus> Don't even bother saying anything. You know you're not going to get through to him when he's pissed off like this.
<Oswin> :\​

Determined to set out at once, Lord Green grabbed his trusty axe Wolf Beil and made quick preparations to depart as soon as possible.

<Green> Matthew! You around here, bro?
<Matthew> Right here, sir. :3 One Ostian spy at your service~ *bows*
<Green> Did you take care of the guards?
<Matthew> Yep, they're all properly bribed. No one will see you leave. I even snuck you some rations from the kitchen.
<Green> Awww, you're the best. <3 Try and keep my brother off my back as long as you can.
<Matthew> Wait, what? I thought I was going with you. D:
<Green> No way, man! You're cool and all, but you're still under my brother's employ, and, well...
<Matthew> And so you don't fully trust me. Got it. Well, good luck finding the missing Marquess. *flees*
<Green> Huh. He certainly gave up easier than I expected... I wonder if he's up to something...
<Green> Wait a second... you there!​

Green happened to spot a hidden figure behind one of the nearby columns. He gave chase, but the mystery person was rather quick and slippery, and managed to get away. Green finally put on a burst of speed and rounded a corner to find....

<Green> Matthew? What are you doing here? I thought you went...
<Matthew> I thought I heard some trouble and I came to help you out. I don't know who these thugs are, but it seems clear they mean to stop you, at least.
<Green> If they want a fight than they'll get one... >:|
<Matthew> Maybe we should go back and get some of the guardsmen?
<Green> Never! I could fight off these bastards with one hand tied behind my back.
<Matthew> Alright, then I'll stick with you. Someone needs to watch your back, after all.​

Green charged ahead quickly into the corridor, catching one of the thugs by surprising and taking him out in a single round. He worked quickly through their ranks while Matthew used his sword and lockpicks for another end, namely securing them an exit route (and also snagging a red gem from a nearby chest for traveling funds). Eventually the unlikely duo managed to work their way to the exit where the boss was waiting for them, a Knight by the name of Wire.

<Green> Pretty professional group of killers you've got here. Marquess Laus's assassins, perhaps?
<Wire> You have no need to mess in business that is not your concern, Lord Green. I think you ought to seriously consider turning around and going back inside your castle where it's safe. Little Lordlings like yourself who go out on their own tend to wind up missing with their bodies never found...
<Green> Hah! You sure talk big for such a puny man. Your threats mean nothing to me! *axe!*
<Wire> Urp! x_x;
<Matthew> Come on my lord, let's get out of here. By now the guards will have heard all the noise. If you don't want Lord Icarus to know we've gone, we need to leave at once.
<Green> I suppose that means you're coming with me then... did you do that on purpose?
<Matthew> You mean if I purposefully wanted to wait until the assassins attacked you so that I could help you out and effectively force you to take me along? Of course! Spies are always good at manipulation situations for their own ends.
<Green> Alright, then. But if you're coming with me, we need to make one thing perfectly clear. You're no longer under my brother's employ. You're my man now, fully and completely. Deal?
<Matthew> Of course! Shall I swear you a knightly vow?
<Green> All I need is your word. Now, if that's settled, let's head off to find NotJim!​

Meanwhile, back in the throne room...

<Soldier> Lord Icarus! Your brother, Lord Green, he's--
<Icarus> Gone, I take it?
<Soldier> Why, yes, indeed, that's it certain. We're organizing men to go bring him--
<Icarus> That won't be necessary.
<Soldier> ... my lord?
<Icarus> Just let him go, the headstrong fool... *cough*cough*
<Oswin> You feeling alright, Lord Icarus?
<Icarus> Yes, yes, I'm fine. Stop your babying.
<Oswin> You've been really busy these past few weeks, that court hardly ever lets you get some sleep. Make sure you're not endangering your health.
<Icarus> Of course, of course. I'll go visit a physician soon if it gets you off my back.
<Oswin> That would be wonderful, sir. I'll make the arrangements myself.
<Icarus> That won't be necessary. I have another mission for you. Go follow after that fool of a brother of mine and make sure he doesn't kill himself.
<Oswin> Of course, milord, I'd be happy to. *departs*​

Current Team!

Lord Green
- Lv. 5 Lord

Player Notes

And so we restart with a new crew, beginning the main story with our new Lord Green, and everyone's favourite spythief. Since we're not using Matthew as a combat unit this game, I fed all of the kills to Green, getting him all the way up to Lv. 5 just in the first chapter!

Green is a bit different from your standard Lord. He's built more off of the Knight template, though he wields Axes instead of Lances. He's a physical powerhouse with high Str and Def, though his Spd is lacking and his okay-ish Skl is hindered by wielding the lowest accuracy weapon in the game. However, since many of the enemies we will be fighters are Lance wielders, this give him good triangle weapon advantage, and his Wolf Beil axe is super effective against Horses and Armors, just like BB's Mani Katti.

Also, he's my favourite Lord in the FE series, so that has to count for something. :U

Since we're effectively starting over again with a new story and a low level Lord, we had a pretty easy level to start off with. Most of this level involved Matthew attacking walls and pilfering treasure while Green killed everything. Even the boss was fairly easy thank to Wolf Beil's effectiveness.

This chapter is something of a prologue chapter, though, and we'll be back to a pretty large group with tomorrow chapter. NotJim will be finally joining us as a combat unit and we'll also be gaining a lot of other fighters (including the return of Dorcas and Serra), though none other that are on our usable characters list. As such, it will be the Green & NotJim game for a while until we start getting a few more of our drafted units.

I hope you enjoyed the chapter! :D

1915663.jpeg
<Finally... I'm here!
So, things start pretty interesting! I'm definitely looking forward for more :D

Chapter 12: Lord NotJim stabs his way to victory!

And so Lord Green and Matthew ran off sneakily into the sunset, neither knowing nor caring that Lord Icarus was fully aware of their departure. Though, Matthew probably figured it out after he learned how loud Green's armor is when he tries running around in it. Loud CLANK CLANK CLANK noises followed them as they fled east away from the castle.

<Green> Alright, so, now that we've made our escape, we need to find NotJim. I suppose he's probably in Pherae somewhere?
<Matthew> Actually, according to my sources, he's currently in Santaruz.
<Green> Oh, I guess that makes se--
<Serra> Lord Green! There you are! :3​

Green and Matthew looked around and did a double take at the sight of the feisty young cleric who was accompanying by an older man in bright orange armor.

<Matthew> Ohgod, it's Serra again *hides*
<Green> Serra? Oswin? What are you guys doing here?
<Oswin> Lord Icarus sent me after you to watch over you.
<Serra> And Oswin said I could come along too! :D
<Green> Oh, that brother of mine... -_-;
<Oswin> Don't think ill of him. He's just worried about you.
<Matthew> Umm, you guys can hash it out about Lord Icarus later, if you want, but for now, we have more important matters. There's fighting going on up ahead!
<Green> Ohshi- it is NotJim?
<Matthew> I can't tell from here, but's probable.
<Green> Let's go!​

CLANKing away in his armor, Lord Green charge forward in the direction of the sounds of battle. Sure enough, Lord NotJim and some of his retainers were trapped in a battle to the south with a bunch of what appeared to be bandits. As they approached, Green happened to spot a Lycian soldier standing nearby and watching the fighting while eating a sandwich.

<Green> Hey! You there! Soldier! What's going on?
<Soldier> None of your business, man, this is Santaruz. *munch munch*
<Green> I'm afraid I"m going to have to disagree. That red-haired man down there happens to be the son of the missing Marquess Pherae and also my best friend.
<Soldier> Don't matter. You're just some foreign lordling; mind your place.
<Green> Alright, then. My place is to help my friend and you're in the way. *stab*
<Oswin> Goddamn it, Green, you don't just go around stabbing people with your axe. >_<
<Green> He was in my way and he was being a jerk!
<Oswin> You don't always need to resort to violence, you know...
<Green> Maybe not always, but it certainly seems like a good idea for now. *rushes forward*​

With a sigh, Oswin rushed forward after Green and the two waded into the battle, Matthew and Serra following along behind. To the south, NotJim also entered the fray, with Marcus, Lowen, Bartre, Rebecca, and our old friend Dorcas close behind. A shadowy figure in a heavy robe stood behind and guided them.

Each group battled towards the middle, slaying bandits as they went. Matthew sold the red gem at a local armory for funds just as NotJim finished polishing off the boss with his rapier.

<NotJim> Green! Good to see you buddy, but... what are you doing here? o_o;
<Green> Helping you find your dad, obvs.
<NotJim> What Lord Icarus ascending to the throne and everything, I figured you'd be too busy to...
<Green> Too busy to help a friend in need? Never. Icarus is cool with me coming anyway, apparently. So long as Oswin follows me around anyway.
<NotJim> I'm glad to have you, certainly... I'm afraid I might be in a bit of trouble.
<Green> You mean more trouble than being attacked by bandits?
<NotJim> The leader of those bandits... they said someone wants me dead.
<Green> I guess that explains that asshole I saw watching the battle, earlier.
<NotJim> Huh? o_o;
<Green> There was a Santaruz soldier just watching those bandits attack you and refusing to help.
<Athena> Huh, I wonder if Santaruz is involved in the plot in some way.
<NotJim> I can't imagine Lord Helman would ever allow something like that! He's been such a good friend of the family...
<Athena> Perhaps he's been incapacitated in some way then?
<Green> Who are you? o_o;
<Athena> My name is Athena! Pleased to meet you. :3
<NotJim> She's a tactician. I hired her to help me in the search for my father. She's been a great help so far in helping figure out optimal battle plans.
<Green> Well, if NotJim trusts you, then so will I. Well met, Athena.
<Matthew> Hey, Athena! :D
<Serra> Yay! Athena's back! :3
<Athena> I look forward to working with you all again. :3​

Current Team!

Lord Green
- Lv. 6 Lord
Lord NotJim - Lv. 4 Lord

Player Notes

C11 might be a tutorial, but C12 definitely gets back into the action right away. We go from 2 combat units to 10 and are immediately tossed into a large-ish split up battle with a moving boss and a decent chunk of enemies, of many types.

My main goal for this chapter was to give NotJim as much EXP as possible. He and Green are the only drafted units I have available so far, and he starts at Lv. 1, so Green was already much higher leveled. The problem with this, of course, is that there are a decent amount of enemies and they aggro pretty hard, so I wasn't able to give NotJim everything the same way I did for Green in C11. Still, I managed to get him up to Lv. 4, which is pretty respectable.

Speaking of NotJim, let's take a look at him as a unit. Aside from his hair colour, NotJim is a pretty traditional FE Lord. He uses Swords and starts off with a Prf Rapier that is effective against Horses and Armors. In terms of stats, he's very balanced with decent growths across the board but nothing that really stands out aside from an unusually high Res growth for a non-magical/PK unit. NotJim's biggest problem is that he starts out pretty mediocre and will have a hard time doubling enemies and scoring kills for a while. His most notable feature is that he somehow conjurers a horse out of thin air when he promotes.

Unfortunately, it'll still be a few levels before we get any more drafted units. Luis and Skyleaf will both show up in C14, but we still have 13 and a short gaiden chapter to complete before then. So, Green and Eliwood will still be grabbing the majority of the kills for the time being.

As always, hope you enjoy the chapter!

"<Oswin> Lord Green ... please chill. -_-;"

Oh, that one's good! :>

Yeah, I'm back to the party! :>

i have trouble with support in this game.... how do they support.

i have trouble with support in this game.... how do they support.

Characters in the GBA games build up support points by standing next to each other. All potential pairings have a certain number of beginning points and then earn X more points for each round they spend standing adjacently at the end of the player phase. Characters need 80 points to hit their first C support, then 80 additional points for each level after that, maxing at A. When you've hit the required number of points, you'll see a new option in the character action menu that says "Support", and instead of attacking or using an item, the characters will have a short conversation and the Support level is increased. Each character in the GBA titles is only allowed a maximum of 5 Support conversations, so you can, for example, get 1 A Support and 1 B support. In addition to getting short conversations and learning more about the characters and the game world, Supports give the characters slight bonuses in combat, and some character pairs will have special endings if they have an A Support at the end of the game.

For more information about Supports in FE7, you can check out this page on Serenes Forest.

Chapter 13: I guess we might as well recruit this guy...

With his BFF in tow, Lord Green decides that the best course of action is to go visit Marquess Santaruz and see if he has any idea what's going on. Of course, I agree, and our little band makes its way to the capital, though we had no way of knowing that it was already too late...

Meanwhile, at Santaruz Castle...

<MarquessSantaruz> Geez, Ephidel, what's the big deal? I thought you were going to just scare NotJim, not actually try to kill him!
<Ephidel> Oh, is that a problem? >.>
<MS> As a matter of fact, it is. In fact, I'm just tired of dealing with you Black Fang folks. Our partnership is at and end, so get the hell out of my castle. >:|
<Ephidel> Awwww... I'm sorry you're so upset. :< Is there nothing I can say or do to change your mind?
<MS> Nope!
<Ephidel> Well, in that case... *stabs*
<MS> Urk! x_x;​

Meanwhile, on the road to Santaruz Castle...

<NotJim> Look, there's the castle!
<Green> And there's some guy in armor waiting to ambush us. You there! Show yourself!
<Soldier> Ohshi- *flees*
<Athena> Gah, there's a whole bunch of enemies.
<Green> Looks like we'll be fighting our way to the castle, then... >:3
<NotJim> You don't have to look so happy about it.... >_>
<Green> Of course I'm happy! I get to see Athena's wonderful tactical skills. Lead us, my lady?
<Athena> Sure, why not.​

I sent Green, Bartre, and Oswin to the west to visit a village and handle the enemies on that side while the rest of the group headed southeast, NotJim at the lead, since I wanted him to get more battle experience. There were a lot of foes on that side that came in a rush, but we hid out in the forests and killed them as they came. Matthew even managed to recruit one of the fights to our cause, a mercenary named Guy that he knew previously.

Eventually, NotJim managed to capture a fort and we worked our way steadily through the remaining soldiers until we could press forward. By then, Green had single-handedly taken out the remaining enemies on the other side and both groups met at Santaruz castle where the leader of the bunch was holding the gate. Without any magicians to break through the boss's heavy armor, Oswin, Green, and NotJim had to work together to take him down.

With the fighting finally finished, Lord Green bashed through the gates and into the castle, NotJim jogging to catch up with him.

<Green> Ohshi- Marquess Santaruz, are you okay bro?
<MS> Of course not, I've been stabbed, but I'll live long enough to give a cryptic message, I think. NotJim, you there?
<NotJim> Yes, I'm here.
<MS> Your father never would have disappeared if I hadn't told him about Darin, the Marquess of Laus. Darin knows everything. You must go to Laus. Oh, and look out for the Black Fang, too. x_x; *dies*
<NotJim> Lord Helman, noooooooo....
<Green> Huh, that was actually significantly less cryptic than I thought it might be.
<NotJim> Yeah, same. So, uh, wanna head to Laus?
<Green> Sure, it's not like I got anything better to do. Maybe your dad will be there after all.
<Athena> You guys wanna do a quick sidequest first?
<Green> Sure, I love sidequests! :D​

Current Team!

Lord Green
- Lv. 8 Lord
Lord NotJim - Lv. 8 Lord

Player Notes

This level would have been significantly easier if I didn't mind spreading my exp around, but I'd really prefer to not waste too much of it on units we're not going to use, so I spent a lot of time turtling to give NotJim exp.

It worked, though; he gained 4 levels just in one chapter, woo. :D

Otherwise, not much of an interesting chapter. We recruited some guy (lol, Guy, jokes about your name will never get old) that we're not using, so I didn't really say too much about him. We got a couple items from villages, including a Mine which can actually be used to cause an enemy control glitch, though I've never exploited it myself.

The next chapter, as the ending dialogue suggests, is a Gaiden chapter that will let us recruit Merlinus, a character that functionally acts as the convoy. If we didn't accept the Gaiden we would have gotten him later, but it's a fun Gaiden, so might as well.

Otherwise, I'm running late today, so I'm not going to spend a lot of time rambling. I hope you enjoyed the chapter! <3

When will people like bb, TGK and Robin show up again?

BB, TGK, and Robin will all actually arrive at the same time in Chapter 16, along with some other characters from Lyn's Mode that we didn't really use.

And Raven. Only...not again. Just...for the first time. >_<

Raven/Jabber comes in with PP during Chapter 17.

You can see which characters appear when on the chart on this page, just make sure you're looking on the proper column for Hector's Mode.

The game is over 30 chapters long, so don't worry, there will be plenty of time for everyone. :p If anyone gets the shaft, it's Celever since he's replaced by SM for most of Hector's Mode. >_>

i started re-playing this game on my gba app around 2-3 days ago, i am at the same chapter you just made XD. but i got busy playing tales of phantasia so i stopped at the chapter.... oh well.

Chapter 13x: It was a dark and spooky gaiden chapter

Although Lord Green was eager to get going to Laus and hopefully fight his way to some answers about the secrets that were plaguing him and his friends, he certainly wasn't about to turn down a sidequest. And so, on our way northwest towards Laus, we stopped for the night as a particular section of countryside in Caelin instead of pushing on further.

<Green> Why are we stopping here?
<Athena> Sidequest, duh. Also I guess it's kinda sorta getting dark out.
<Green> This is Caelin, right? Think we should go say hi to Lord Hausen?
<NotJim> Nah. I'd love to say hi to BB, but she won't be joining us for another few chapters yet.
<Green> BB?
<NotJim> You know, bbninjas? Hausen's granddaughter?
<Green> Oh, yeah, I remember hearing about that inheritance kerfuffle last year. She hot?
<NotJim> Definitely. I'd do her.
<Green> It'll still be a few chapters before she shows up though, huh? Damn.
<NotJim> Wait, did you hear a scream?
<Green> Ohshi- I think the sidequest is starting.​

Green and NotJim snuck up and happened to spy a few bandits hassling a rather fussy-looking man. Green recognizes him as a merchant he saw last chapter, the one in the village that dropped the torch he had picked up.

<Merlinus> Help! Someone! Police!
<Green> 'Sup?
<Merlinus> Oh, thank heavens. These people are robbing me and threatening to kill me?
<Bandit> Maybe just a little...
<Green> Well, you guys better piss off if you know what's good for you. Go on, get out of here if you value your lives.
<Bandit> You think we'll just give up without our profits? TO BATTLE.
<Green> Yessssss... >:3
<NotJim> Did you... did you really just choose to help this guy because you felt like fighting.
<Green> Dude, it's a sidequest.
<NotJim> *sigh*​

I quickly arranged our party in a formation around the helpless NPC merchant, everyone except Marcus whom I sent to the village to the north. It was getting dark out quickly and hard to see, so everyone mostly maintained a defensive formation, keeping out the bandits from attacking Merlinus.

Eventually we started whittling their numbers down and Marcus came back so we decided to press the advantage, with NotJim headed north and Green west. Thinking he would have the triangle advantage, the mercenary boss ran forward to attack Green, but ran away with his tail behind his legs after he had a chunk taken out of his leg by Green's ass.

<Bandit> Retreat! Retreat! Let's get out of here, guys.
<Green> Awww... I wanted to kill the boss. :<
<Athena> Maybe next time, Green.
<Merlinus> Thank you so much for saving me, good sirs! And you look like such fine noblemen, too. Could I have your names?
<Green> I'm Green, Marquess Ostia's brother, and this here red-haired fellow is my best friend NotJim, heir of Pherae.
<Merlinus> Oh, dear me! To be saved by such important lords... I will be forever in your debt.
<Green> In that case, why don't you pay us back by traveling around and helping us out.
<NotJim> Wait, really?
<Green> Yeah, sure. It'd be nice to have a convoy to easily store and trade our things.
<Merlinus> I would be very happy to, my liege! *bows*​

Current Team!

Lord Green
- Lv. 9 Lord
Lord NotJim - Lv. 9 Lord

Player Notes

A surprisingly tricky chapter. Merlinus just stays put and does nothing, so you basically have to keep a decent amount of people around him to keep him safe. The 7 turn limit is both a blessing and a curse. If you have troubles defending you can just turtle and wait it out, which is nice, but if you want to reach the village and/or actually beat the boss, it's much more difficult to do so within the given time frame.

We ended up getting one but not the other. I sent Marcus off to the village since he could tank basically everything and use also used a Torch for better vision. I sent both NotJim and Green towards the boss, but too little too late, and Green whiffed one axe swing too many and the boss retreated to heal the final round.

And so now we've recruited Merlinus, who is kind of an interesting character. He doesn't actually fight or take up a player slot, but you can choose to send him out with each battle and if you do he functions as a convoy, just like the automatic convoys attached to Lords in later games. If I buy stuff or grab drops from enemies that would put a character over their limit, they can send the items to Merlinus instead of dropping them, and characters who stand next to Merlinus can trade with the convoy too.

There are 2 main downsides. 1) Merlinus can't move. 2) Merlinus can be attacked. So, he kind of ends up as a sitting duck character and you have to make sure to protect him from potential enemies. If he is attacked and his HP goes to 0, he will retreat from the chapter and you won't be able to use him anymore that chapter, but he will come back the next chapter. However, each time he survives a full chapter, he will gain a level (woohoo!) and he can eventually promote into a Carriage that will enable him to have some movement.

Next chapter gets us back into the main plot and also sees the recruiting of 2 (!!) of our drafted character. Luis will be making a comeback and Skyleaf will be appearing for the first time. As soon as we recruit Skyleaf, she'll be taking over healing duties from Serra.

I hope you all enjoyed the chapter! <3

Chapter 14: Finally no longer playing Lord Emblem

Once we were assured that the bandits were gone and Merlinus was safely under our protection, we shored up for the night and camped under the stars. The following day, we continued our trek northwest towards Laus in the heart of Lycia.

<Athena> So, what do we know about this Lord Darin guy anyway?
<NotJim> Well, Marquess Santaruz certainly implied that he was the cause of my dad's disappearance.
<Green> Oh, yeah my brother's spies are already pretty sure of that.
<NotJim> Wait, really? And you never said anything else until now?
<Green> Well, we were kind of busy with other stuff, I guess.
<NotJim> Any other secretive information that you'd like to share with us?
<Green> Well, you can tell he's a bad guy because he's pretty ugly. Super big nose too, yeesh.
<Athena> Anything else I ought to know before directing the battle?
<Green> Not that I can think of. I'm sure you'll do well, though. :3​

Meanwhile, in the Laus Castle, Darin chats up his son...

<Darin> So, Lords Green and NotJim and theirs little friends are coming, eh?
<Erik> That's what the lookouts say. *shrug*
<Darin> Well, that's inconvenient. How'd that happen?
<Erik> I dunno, why don't you ask creepy cloak guy?
<Ephidel> I take it creepy cloak guy is me?
<Erik> Yep.
<Darin> So, do you know anything, creepy cloak guy?
<Ephidel> Well, I did stab Marquess Santaruz pretty good, but I guess it's possible that he survived long enough to tell them something, or write out a message in blood, idk.
<Darin> Geez, what am I paying you for. Our plan is so ruined. :<
<Ephidel> Oh, quit being such a whiny baby. It's not like either of those 2 whelps could actually do anything.
<Darin> They could tell Lord Icarus of Ostia... that would be devastating! And the rebellion is so close to being ready! Ostia can't learn about what is happening here, they just can't!
<Ephidel> Alright, so, just kill the lordlings here before they can run home. What's the big deal?
<Darin> I guess that's okay.
<Erik> Oooh, oooh, can I take command of the skirmish? Stupid sexy NotJim will probably lower his guard when he sees me since he's so naive and trusting and then I can punch him in the face. >:3
<Darin> Eh, sure, why not. You can be the chapter's boss.
<Erik> Yay! Thank you, daddy. <3
<Ephidel> I'm not sure that's really such a good idea...
<Darin> Bah, it'll be fine.
<Erik> I won't fail!​

Meanwhile, back with the Good Guys (TM)...

<Green> Huh, they're preparing for a really big battle of some kind, it looks like.
<NotJim> I have a bad feeling about this...
<Green> What are you so worried about?
<NotJim> Who knows what might happen here. What if we end up going to war?
<Green> That would be awesome!
<NotJim> I... don't think it would be so great, actually.
<Green> But, but... I'd get to stab people with my axe a lot... :<
<NotJim> It's not just the soldiers, but the families, children... I hope we can find a peaceful solution.
<Green> Well, how about this: you do the talking and I'll do the stabbing. Between the two of us, we'll work it out.
<NotJim> I guess that's the best I can hope for. >_>
<Marcus> Lord NotJim! Darin's son Erik has ridden from the castle and is asking to speak to you!
<Green> Oh, not that guy... *groan*
<NotJim> Oh, he's not that bad.
<Athena> Wait, both of you know Darin's son and you didn't think to tell me about it when I asked you for info earlier?
<Green> *shrugs*
<NotJim> Anyway, let him through. I'd be happy to speak to him and hopefully figure out what's going on around here without bloodshed.
<Green> Alright, go ahead and do your talking, but I'll be over here polishing my axe just in case.
<NotJim> Yeah, you and Athena go prepare for battle just in case.​

And so Green and I went off for a bit to give NotJim some privacy with Erik.

<Athena> Are you sure it's okay to leave them alone together?
<Green> I dunno, but I honestly just can't stand that guy Erik. Such a creepazoid.
<Athena> And he did make a show of riding from the castle alone...
<Green> So that means it's safe, right?
<Athena> Hmmm... maybe. Though the land around here does look ripe for an ambush. Wanna go for a walk with me just as a safety precaution?
<Green> Sure, wynaut?​

Meanwhile, back with the chatters....

<NotJim> So, uh, Erik. What's going on around here?
<Erik> Whatever do you mean? :3
<NotJim> Well, you guys are pretty obviously preparing for battle...
<Erik> Oh, NotJim, you're so gullible. :3
<NotJim> I-- what?
<Erik> Oh, you're such a stupid trusting little Disney princess. You come here and see openly that we're preparing for war and you still decide to ask me what's going on as if it isn't obvious? What, did you honestly think that I would tell you that this is just a joke and we'd both laugh and then you'd go home and everything would be happy and sunshine and rainbows?
<Green> Well, at least you've admitted that you're preparing for war now.
<Erik> Green! What are you doing here?
<Athena> Oh, Green and I just thought we'd let NotJim know that there's a score of soldiers lying await around us for an ambush. Not bandits or mercs, either, but Laus troops.
<Erik> Yes, there are! We will crush you like dogs! Soldiers, attack!​

With the loud bellow of a horn, Erik turned on his horse and raced back towards the castle as his soldiers sprang out all around us. Thankfully, since Green and I noticed them earlier, we'd already gotten the rest of our soldiers ready for battle, and we weren't caught unawares.

Oswin stayed by Merlinus's tent to protect him while Dorcas and Bartre stayed nearby and swept up the few enemy troops coming from the east. The rest of the group fanned out to take care of stragglers to the north and south and then start pushing west towards the castle. Near a village at the top, Serra happened to spot an old friend....

<Serra> Luis! How wonderful to see you here...
<Luis> (Ohgod, please no, maybe if I don't acknowledge her she'll go away)
<Serra> Luis, dear, I'm right here! Hello! *bonk*
<Luis> Oh, yes, hi Serra, how... nice to meet you again.
<Serra> Oh, such a pleasure to see you too. I'm sure you'll be very happy to come fight with me in this battle. There are all sorta of scary bad guys!
<Luis> Yes, well, I'd love to help you, but I'm actually employed at the moment... however, Laus has been troublesome for my employer, too, so I'd be happy to help your group out so long as they in term will help me and my mistress.
<Serra> Oh, yes, Lord Green is very nice and helpful, so I'm sure he'd be very happy to lend you a hand. And Athena is here, too! Now come on and be a nice boy and protect me.
<Luis> *sigh* I'm doing this for Skyleaf, I just need to keep telling myself that.... I'm doing this for Skyleaf, I'm doing this for Skyleaf...​

Luis, Serra, and Marcus began their retreat back to the center while the Lords pushed west and the others slowly drifted southward to take care of some bandits and also visit a nearby village. Matthew popped in for a quick peak in the village to see if everything was okay, but he was stopped by a rather beautiful red-haired woman.

<Skyleaf> Hello, my name is Skyleaf. I happened to notice there was some nearby fighting going on... is your band going against the forced of Marquess Laus?
<Matthew> As a matter of fact, we are. Something shady is going on here.
<Skyleaf> I'm afraid I can't help you much in discovering the Marquess's intentions, but I would like to come along with you, if I may. I have been trying to leave Laus for close to a month now but the Marquess blocks my every move. I can't fight, but I'm a skilled healer, will you take me on?
<Matthew> Sure! It would be nice to have a healer that doesn't have a mouth the size of a barn. We'd be happy to help you out.
<Skyleaf> Oh, thank you! <3 I do have a young man that's been working to help me escape, hopefully we can find him and he'll help you out, too.
<Matthew> Woohoo, even better!​

Meanwhile, inside Castle Laus...

<Soldier> Lord Darin, sir! Erik's soldiers are taking heavy losses, and he requests back-up.
<Darin> Yes, of course, send out whatever we can.
<Ephidel> Hmm, things really don't seem to be doing well out there, do they? I think it's time for the Black Fang to take their leave...
<Darin> No! You can't leave us now, right when we're so close...
<Ephidel> Weren't you the one who was so insistent about Ostia not learning our plans?
<Darin> Yes, I know, but... don't give up on me just yet! Please, give me another chance...
<Ephidel> Alright, then. Ready your personal men. We'll leave together right now.
<Darin> You mean... leave Laus? Abandon my son?
<Ephidel> Oh, please, Lord Keeper is offering you the crown of all of Lycia. Surely a few sacrifices are not so much to ask? Soon Laus will be yours again with the rest of Lycia, and you can always father another heir or twenty once you're king.
<Darin> Hmmm...​

Outside, rain began to pour down and the battle slowed to a crawl. Matthew and Skyleaf worked their way north as Luis, Serra, and Marcus worked their way south. Lord Green took the vanguard and was almost surprised when Erik came galloping up towards him.

<Erik> Oh, good, I was hoping I'd get to kill you Green. You and NotJim always got all the attention at the academy and no one ever paid attention to me, but now I'll show you. >:3
<Green> No one ever pays attention to you because you suck. Try actually learning a little bit of skill instead of focusing on appearance all the time. Lesson 1: Don't stop to gloat to an enemy. *stab*
<Erik> Gwaahhh! x_x;​

Once Erik was down, it was only a matter of time before we finished up the rest of the enemies and the battlefield was ours. Erik was hurt, but not dead, and we dragged him back to the castle.

<Erik> Ughh... you can't treat me... like this....
<Green> You're lucky to be alive, bro, so stop complaining.
<NotJim> Do you have any idea where your father is, Erik? Our people have combed the castle and they can't find him anywhere.
<Erik> he has to be here somewhere... he wouldn't just abandon me... he'd never... but Ephidel...
<NotJim> Ephidel? Who's that?
<Erik> ... ... ...
<Green> Tell us, damnit, or I'll kill you myself right here and now! >:|
<NotJim> Dude, Green, chill. You're not helping. You said you'd like me do the talking, right?
<Green> Fiiiiine~
<NotJim> Erik, please, tell us what you know. I want to learn the truth. I want to find my dad...
<Erik> *sigh* I don't know who Ephidel is. He showed up here about a year ago, and... my father changed after that. He always felt that Laus deserved to be the head of Lycia instead of Ostia, but it wasn't until that man came that my father actually spoke of rebellion.
<Green> Rebellion? :O
<Erik> Yes. Ephidel had... something. Some weapon, some plan, some thing that he used to convince my father to begin this rebellion plan. He sent messages to the other Marquesses, including your father, NotJim. He had approved of the plan.
<NotJim> What?! My father would never...
<Erik> Believe or disbelieve whatever you want, but this is what I know. Marquess Santaruz was the first, then Marquess Pherae. Your father came here about 6 months or so ago to seal the deal, though he and my dad argued a lot. Marquess Pherae never trusted Ephidel, and he wanted my father to send him away along with the rest of his Black Fang goons. Of course, my father refused to acquiesce, so your dad left, and then he disappeared. He's probably dead at the hands of the Black Fang would be my guess.
<NotJim> Dead? But he can't...
<Green> You shut your filthy piehole, Erik. :|
<Erik> Hey, NotJim is the one who said he wanted to learn the truth. My father... he's become nothing but Ephidel's puppet. I'm sure it was Ephidel's idea to leave me to die, and my father had no qualms about it. These are the kind of people you're dealing with. You really think they would let your dad live?​

Without a reply, Eliwood stood up suddenly and walked out of the room. Green went to follow him, but on the way, he ran into Oswin.

<Green> Yo, dude, did you see where NotJim went?
<Oswin> Yeah, I think he went outside.
<Green> Good, I'll just--
<Oswin> Can I have a moment my lord?
<Green> Sure, what's up?
<Oswin> I think I'd like to suggest that we go back to Ostia now. If Marquess Pherae really was involved in this rebellion, then we should not be helping them.
<Green> You shut your filthy piehole, too. >:|
<Oswin> M-My lord?
<Green> Look, you're loyal to Ostia and my brother all, I get it. But you don't know Marquess Pherae, and I do. He's a trustworthy, honourable man. I don't believe he was involved in this rebellion plot even more than you are. I trust him, and his son is my BFF. I'm going to stay here and help NotJim. If you can't handle that, then you can go back to Ostia on your own. I know you're just here on Icarus's orders anyway.
<Oswin> I humbly apologize, my lord. My remarks were indeed improper.
<Green> Nah, it's cool man... wait, what are you doing? Get up from there!
<Oswin> I would like to offer you my lance, my lord. You are correct in that I am a knight of Ostia and a vassal of your brother, but if I am to help you here, I would like to offer you my service as well, fully and completely.
<Green> Awww, that's so sweet of you, bro. <3 Thanks. I'mma go find NotJim now, though, the poor kid is probably flipping out.​

Green made his way through the corridors of Castle Laus and eventually found NotJim standing outside just as Oswin predicted, his face turned towards the setting sun.

<NotJim> My father is alive. I'm sure of it. And I can't believe he ever supported this rebellion. There has to be something else here. Some reason...
<Green> I believe you, pal. My brother trusted your dad more than any of the other Marquesses. Let's find your dad and discover the truth. Then we can go talk to my brother and figure out where to go from there.
<NotJim> *sigh* Marquess Laus... the Black Fang... and this mysterious Ephidel dude... there's a lot of crazy crap going on. >_<
<Green> Yeah, tell me about it. :\ We'll get it all figured out though, bro. <3
<NotJim> <3​

Current Team!

Lord Green
- Lv. 11 Lord
Lord NotJim - Lv. 11 Lord
Luis - Lv. 8 Mage
Skyleaf - Lv. 3 Troubadour

Player Notes

This was a very long chapter! Not very long to actually play, but lots of dialogue and plot, so I hope you guys are up for some reading...

The actual battle part was not particularly difficult, though there were indeed a lot of spread out enemies so I ended up giving a decent amount of exp, more than I'd have liked, to characters we're not using. I didn't really have much of a choice, but I do hate exp going to waste. :p

The biggest issue is really that there were so many different enemies aggroing from so many different directions. Soldiers from the east, PKs from the southeast, pirates from the south going after the southern village (which is where we got Skyleaf from), plus a bunch of cavs, nomads, brigands, and mercs from the east and north east, some of the heading for the northern village as well. We also had a lot of objectives, since we needed to recruit both Luis and Skyleaf, visit the other village, protect Merlinus, and of course not die in the process. Oh, and the boss is a moving cav with a silver lance.

Luis comes with the same stats/exp he had at the end of Lyn Mode, but instead of his old Fire tomes he comes with a Thunder tome and a Goddess Icon. I think I'll give the Icon to Hector, he could use the extra Lck the most out of everyone we have. I also picked him up a Fire tome from the shop this chapter; it's a lower might than the Thunder, but lighter weight.

We also get a new character with Skyleaf, yay! \o/ Skyleaf joins us as a Lv. 3 Troubadour. Unfortunately, by the time I was able to recruit her all but like 2 enemies were dead, and there was a moving boss, so I haven't had the chance to give her much exp yet. I hope to rectify that in the next few chapters. Priscilla comes with a C in Staves, some pretty good bases for a healer, and decent growths. her biggest deficit is her lack of HP and Def, but as a healer/support unit, she should stay out of the way of enemies as much as possible anyway. her biggest asset is her horse, which gives her very versatile movement to heal those in need and keep out of the way. Like most healers, she gains Tome use on promotion to a Valkyrie, making use of her good magic.

Next chapter will likely be a shorter one as it's a smallish, Hector Mode only chapter, but it's a Defend chapter, and those are always fun. Stay tuned!

NOTE: Due to the holidays, I may or may not update on December 25th or 31st, or January 1st. Depends on my free time and what all else I'll be doing.

Back