Ash, is he getting worse as a trainer???

Tobi_Akatsuki's_Idiot

I choose you Ninja Brian!
Not to seem as too much of a hard thinker, and this being one of our favorite characters...but it also might be the story writer's choice, but Ash is really forgetful, he makes ametuer mistakes in a battle and doesn't know any good strategies...

His battling skilles seem eratic, like in Home it Where the start is, Ash should know that from previous battles the recklously charging strait at your opponents is bad and almost always end in a defeat.

Also he whps out the pokedex for every single pokemon, even ones that he's seen before...

It's pretty much the story writer's fualt...but i don't think that they should keep making him act in such a way, he probably 14 by Sinnoh and has such a lot of battling experiance as not to make such amatuer mistakes.

bacon

!!!!!
It's the personal time loop, I swear it is. Everyone in the pokemon world is stuck in a personal time loop which causes them to repeat the same things over and over again. Ash, for example, constantly repeats his noobishness, without ever learning anything new. The time loop theory explains a lot, burleeeeve me.

And if anyone actually thinks I'm being serious about what was said above, you deserve a slap.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Yeah, Ash does some pretty stupid stuff when he should have known better (like in the battle Charizard vs. Regice - "USE SEISMIC TOSS NOW!!!!!" "No Ash, that doesn't work on Ghost-types!" "AW ****! I FORGOT!" /lose)

I don't watch the show much, but are you sure he whips out the pokedex for pokemon he already knows about? I don't recall ever seeing him saying "Oh, a Pikachu, I know what that is" /pokedex

To Ash's credit, in the battle against Gary's Electivire, he did make a note of how opponents are defenseless in the air. He didn't count on Electivire knowing Protect however, and got owned as a result because he rushed without thinking. In that example, I guess I'd chalk it up to his excitement over getting to battle a Pokemon he's never seen before.

Hey, maybe that's Ash's problem? Maybe he really is a good Trainer, and every time he fights a Pokemon he's never seen, his excitement clouds his better judgement? You all see how fired up he gets when someone even mentions a battle...

Lou Cypher

The melody of your defeat
A bigger problem to me is this. Pikachu defeats a Regice, yet gets a draw against an ELEKID. And two days later it beats an Onix.

Ash however has skills. Else he wouldn't conquer Battle Frontier.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Señor Gardevoir said:
A bigger problem to me is this. Pikachu defeats a Regice, yet gets a draw against an ELEKID. And two days later it beats an Onix.

Regice Lv.40 w/nothing
Elekid Lv.100 w/max EVs/good nature
Onix Lv.2

:)

Bullet

Human Pipe Bomb
Well I wouldnt complain, unlike some other shows I know (yugioh), its good to see our heroes lose from time to time and go into slumps, it prevents it from getting Stale. How DBZ became a legend of an anime in itself.

beautiful-swablu

Aspiring Trainer
They have to make ash look up every pokemon in the episodes because some people have only just got into it. It is kind of like their way of explaining the pokemon and a brief bit of information so that the audience is clear what is going on. But it gets so repetitive!

Tobi_Akatsuki's_Idiot

Another thing i noticed is whatever happeneed in the movies is almost forgotten in the anime, such in Deoxys Crisis everyone acted as if they've never seen a deoxys before evenh though they met 2 in Destiny Deoxys...

CCloud

Aspiring Trainer
What I don't understand is how Ash can manage to make it through the Battle Frontier. Those battles are just like miracles for Ash, I mean, it seems like miracles on account to all the foolish mistakes he makes. Maybe the makers of Pokemon are just trying to teach Trainers who play the GBA something. idk, but it seems ridiculous.

Tobi_Akatsuki's_Idiot

Also how the heck did Pikachu be so eratic in it's Strength??? Like it defeats legendaries than looses to a Meowth or Elekid, it should be pokes like Sceptile,Charizard & Snorlax that do the job...

CCloud

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah, the anime doesn't make sense sometimes. -_- But, I think the lesson in that is that you can do anything when you put your mind to it. That's easier done than said in Pokemon anime. o_O

pikalord025

Lord of the Pika's!!!
Well pikachu is weak when you look at the games and people make mistakes sometimes. And besides, Ash gets over confident sometimes and remember during the battle with Gary Ash said, "We can't lose, we won the battle frontier!" He lost track of things. And plus with new things you have to be careful. Also he doesn't really pull out his pokedex it is more of May that does that. I hardly see Ash do that anymore.

pikalord025

Lord of the Pika's!!!
Maybe there might be something else discovered about it. And yeah he did take it out for Bagon in "Pinch Healing."

bacon

!!!!!
Chakra said:
What I don't understand is how Ash can manage to make it through the Battle Frontier. Those battles are just like miracles for Ash, I mean, it seems like miracles on account to all the foolish mistakes he makes. Maybe the makers of Pokemon are just trying to teach Trainers who play the GBA something. idk, but it seems ridiculous.

God, I hope not. If everyone battled like ash, battles would go something like this:

Bacon boy sends out Forretress!

Chakra sends out Breloom!

Chakra says: I kno! Breloom, uze headbut!!

Breloom used headbut!

Breloom cracks its skull, wonders around blearily, walks into a tree, Breloom faints.

Bacon-boy says: Oh noes! Its usin rest! Forretress use explosion!

Forretress used explosion!

Half of viridian forest becomes a smoking crater. Bacon-boy and Chakra are never seen again.

If everyone played like Ash, pokemon would die out. Apart from unown. No-one uses Unown.

CCloud

Aspiring Trainer
...And, he never catches legendaries when he comes upon them. He's just standing there, staring, like, "dudez, i rather watch the majesticness of teh pokaman instead of tryink to catch it." Same for May and Brock; they never try to catch it! WTF??? I mean, shouldn't it be instinct that if you stumble upon a legendary or shiny, you'd try to catch it? ;_;

Severity

Aspiring Trainer
Very good point indeed. I've just gotten back into watching the show, and I do already see him making mistakes that he made back in season 1.