Ruling Ariados LOT vs escape board

rewster1

Aspiring Trainer
Ariados' trapping thread attack for 2 colorless energy:
Whenever your opponent plays an Item or Supporter card from their hand during their next turn, prevent all effects of that card done to the Defending Pokémon.

My question is, how does this attack interact with tool cards in general, and specifically escape board if the defending Pokemon is paralyzed.

Is attaching a tool an effect, and therefore it gets discarded?
And, if attaching is not an effect, are the printed effects on the card ignored for the current turn, or are they allowed because tools are different in some way than other items, and the defending Pokemon is able to retreat?

rewster1

Aspiring Trainer
I believe ptcgo allows the tool to be attached, and gives it the red down arrow during the opponent's turn (I've only seen it once so far and I think I saw the thing pop up briefly), then when their turn ends the tool becomes fully effective.

So, e.g. primal groudon EX says it is unaffected by trainer cards EXCEPT tools and stadiums, and I was wondering, because ariados' attack does not exclude tools, if it should therefore block them entirely.
Even if it doesn't work for the turn, being able to attach a tool still affects the pokemon (maybe it's a pokemon that does more damage based on tools attached, etc), so it seems like attaching is an effect to me, but I haven't found a ruling on it because I think it's a pretty unique attack and nobody is playing it.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
The tool can be attached but will have no effect any tools previously put down will still work of course