Are You More of a Collector or a Player?

I'm mostly a player, but I hope for the best when it comes to opening packs. I really wish there was a practical way I could gain Deck materials by opening packs (booster box's but... I feel uneasy spending $100 something on Pokemon all at one time). I'd REALLY love to gather all the checklists for the whole BW-on era.

I collect, I have never really played the card game. I guess if I knew people who did, I would. There aren't any leagues local or anything, so I would have to travel into London, so it's not really worth it. I may consider going to a Pre Release, I was going to go to Dark Explorers and Boundaries Crossed, but when it came to it I didn't. It's easier to collect, than to play. Since I trade around the world.

ChicaSkas said:
i'm a collector. It's hard to find people to play with. The kids I babysit are too young. If i even SAY it at work I will be ridiculed because I am far too old to play a TCG (27 years old = asking to be teased) Also if I show up at a cardshop and casually ask a kid if they want to play a game, their parents look at me like I'm insane. so for now I just don't play.

Collecting is easier, I've been doing that since I was about 12 years old :)

That sucks, I'm fifteen and I get ridiculed by kids my age who play magic and friggin yu gi oh, and most play the pokemon video games, they just think the TCG is stupid. Is there anyone who WORKS at the cardshop that would play?

That's the unfortunate thing, people usually mock people that have an interest in something they don't. It's probably because their friends don't like it, Pokémon is dying here in the UK. I just don't hear anyone talk about Pokémon the way they used to, perhaps it's because I am older as well. None of my brothers friends play or watch Pokémon, he's 13 by the way.

Right now, I'm almost entirely a collector. I would love to play, but I'm very shy and currently living in a country where I speak the native language rather poorly, which only increases my shyness. My husband has no interest in the TCG, so I'd be doing things on my own, and that's kind of terrifying for me! Also, I would rather spend my money on Japanese cards than English. >_>

I'm 100% player.

I rarely ever buy booster packs just singles I need for my deck. I also could care less about Full Arts or reverse holo's as long as its the card I need that all that matters to me. Thats why when I need an EX card I'll just buy the regular art as its cheaper.

I'm 99% player

I don't really have the money or desire to build a large/complete collection but I do grab up any Ghastly cards I can find. It's my favorite pokemon. Still looking for the original if anyone might have it :)

I've always been a player first and always will be.

I can't understand how someone wouldn't want to collect, I don't have loads of money, but I collect everything. I am just a collector in general, I collect so many things.

Also, I hate to be a bad sport but it's Gastly. I am guessing, that it corrected you automatically :). By original, do you mean Base Set ?.

TheTPCProductionz said:
I can't understand how someone wouldn't want to collect, I don't have loads of money, but I collect everything. I am just a collector in general, I collect so many things.

Also, I hate to be a bad sport but it's Gastly. I am guessing, that it corrected you automatically :). By original, do you mean Base Set ?.

It's not that dislike collecting it's just not my cup of tea. Also I am spending enough money on competitive cards so I don't really want go as far as to spend more on cards that I wont even be using.

And yes I meant Gastly from base set lol. I have one but it's pretty beat up.

SynxS1N said:
And yes I meant Gastly from base set lol. I have one but it's pretty beat up.

Do you realize there 4 different versions of the Base set?

Familiar said:
SynxS1N said:
This is the one I'm talking about Gastly (Base Set 50)

That doesn't indicate the printing. http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-index-of-guides-for-collectors?pid=2233071#pid2233071

The fine details don't matter to me. I just want the card itself (and as many of it as I can get). I'm not a collector, I just like grabbing up Gastly cards.

SynxS1N said:
Familiar said:
That doesn't indicate the printing. http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-index-of-guides-for-collectors?pid=2233071#pid2233071

The fine details don't matter to me. I just want the card itself (and as many of it as I can get). I'm not a collector, I just like grabbing up Gastly cards.

evilpacman is getting every variation of the cards he collects.

SynxS1N said:
Familiar said:

Well, the "fine details" of Base set are pretty significant.

Here are some examples:
1st Print (and 1st edition)
2nd Print (shadowless)
3rd Print (most common)

Then there is also a 4th Print which is almost identical in appearance to the 3rd Print.

Regardless, they will look pretty cool side-by-side in your Gastly collection.

Yeah, if you're going to collect something, do it right. No point trying to cut corners, I collect Pikachu. I get whatever Pikachu I can get.

I'm not "collecting" them. Man you guys are something else. I can't believe I have to restate my distaste for "collecting". It is trivial to me. I only "pick up" Gastly cards whenever I can because he's my favorite pokemon. It's more hoarding than collecting lol. I don't care about condition or set or 1st eds or even if it's fake as long as it's Gastly. So I hope that clears it up for you.

TheTPCProductionz said:
Yeah, if you're going to collect something, do it right. No point trying to cut corners, I collect Pikachu. I get whatever Pikachu I can get.

This response makes no sense, you're telling me to "do it right" like I should care what specific type of base set Gastly I'm getting but then you say you get "whatever Pikachu" ? Like it doesn't matter what Pikachu you get... Maybe you need to elaborate.

SoulWind said:
SynxS1N said:

Well, the "fine details" of Base set are pretty significant.

Here are some examples:
1st Print (and 1st edition)
2nd Print (shadowless)
3rd Print (most common)

Then there is also a 4th Print which is almost identical in appearance to the 3rd Print.

Regardless, they will look pretty cool side-by-side in your Gastly collection.

I know about the prints, but thank you for at least having a point to your post. You're the only person who gave a reason to bother caring about the prints. It would be pretty cool to have them all side by side in the binder, you might have actually convinced me to seek them out. Thanks for saying something constructive. I honestly appreciate it.

There's nothing to "do right" about collecting anyway. Anybody is free to collect whatever they want with whatever parameters they want. :/

Back