Ruling Are Calculators Allowed?

survivor

Working on FFS Deck
I know this may sound a stupid question, but am I allowed to use a calculator in the middle of a game?

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I don't see why not. You're allowed to take notes during the match, so I can't think of a reason why a calculator would be disallowed.

I suppose it would have to be approved before the match/tournament, though, to ensure that all you're doing with it is calculating. :p

Arcanine 274

=/
i'm sure that you are allowed, but i don't know why you'd need one. it's pretty simple math.

but answering the ?, i think so.

Arcanine out.

Papi/Manny

Fixing=definately delayed, maybe done?
Acutally, I don't think you can bring a calculator to a match. Otherwise, you would be stalling for one and you would have an easier time determining the odds on drawing a card, which should be done in your head (hard, kinda, but not really).

Metal Master

Sparkily Sunshine
You could, if you couldn't figure out damage. However make sure its approved by the PTO. I would certainly allow my opponent to use one as long as they weren't eating up the clock with it.

survivor

Working on FFS Deck
I can claculate the damage in my head pretty easily in my head. I do the samething with YGO. The only reason I want to use a calculator in Pokemon is do calculate the odd/probability of getting a certain card.

Abhorsen

Offically retired
Would most likely not be allowed to calculate probability. You are effectively stalling since it has nothing to do with the match. You dont need to "know" the probability of anything. If you get the card you get it, if you dont well bad luck... we all play like that.

POP Rules said:
11. Electronic Devices
Electronic devices, such as cell phones, MP3 players, or text-messaging devices, are not to be used during a match. In some special instances, an electronic device may be allowed by the Tournament Organizer.
From reading ^^, I take it that they have banned those devices since they can be used for cheating (communication with other people for advice, etc). However a calculator may be allowed I guess. It just depends on the tournament organiser and opponent. If either refuses you using it then you cant, as far as I know.

Metal Master

Sparkily Sunshine
I don't know why you couldn't figure probabilty of getting a card. However, DON'T WASTE TIME DURING YOUR TURN. Make it as fast as possible.

Charizard

Pokemon Master
You need to ask for permission from the organizer of the tournament, make sure that your calculator is silent so that it will not affect other players.

Light Venusaur

Deidara~Senpai's student (in training)
Advanced Member
RE:  Are Calculators Allowed?

Abhorsen said:
Would most likely not be allowed to calculate probability. You are effectively stalling since it has nothing to do with the match. You dont need to "know" the probability of anything. If you get the card you get it, if you dont well bad luck... we all play like that.

POP Rules said:
11. Electronic Devices
Electronic devices, such as cell phones, MP3 players, or text-messaging devices, are not to be used during a match. In some special instances, an electronic device may be allowed by the Tournament Organizer.
From reading ^^, I take it that they have banned those devices since they can be used for cheating (communication with other people for advice, etc). However a calculator may be allowed I guess. It just depends on the tournament organiser and opponent. If either refuses you using it then you cant, as far as I know.
I agree with "Abhorsen" NO u not aloud to use them.
Unless it's only for YGO where u have life-points.

Abhorsen

Offically retired
Light Venusaur said:
I agree with "Abhorsen" NO u not aloud to use them.
Unless it's only for YGO where u have life-points.
I never said "No"... I only said 'No' for the purpose of calculating probability as that isnt necessary to know at all. If someone isnt mentally capable of mathematical calculations (such as in the 10- group for example), then I dont see why it wouldnt be allowed.

There isnt a specific ruling saying 'Yes or No' for Calculators, it is up to the tournament organiser's decision whether to allow someone to use them or not (but only for the right purposes).

(TYranitarFReak)

need politoed ex! juz 1 more~~
probally while playing polistall? u will get ur opponent very anoyyed with u.

i alsi hate ppl who uses like 2 mins for their 1 turn, they're like turtle, do every thing slowly....

Papi/Manny

Fixing=definately delayed, maybe done?

survivor said:
At least it's something I can do while waiting for my opponent to finish his turn.
I don't see how you could possible have time to waste turning any turn of a match. I'm constantly on my toes trying to study the opponets deck and find out thier build and how to counter it. If you have time to calculate the odds on a card in your deck, you shouldn't have that time simply because you should be focused on something more simpler, like how many steven's the opponet plays and things like that.

Typhlosion ex fans

NO1 typhlosion and mew fans
Your math so bad? Don't tell me you can't count yourself or you play cards like exeggutor FRLG with max attack has to count with calculator?

survivor

Working on FFS Deck

Zezima said:
Your math so bad? Don't tell me you can't count yourself or you play cards like exeggutor FRLG with max attack has to count with calculator?

My math is not bad. I can do the YGO math in my head. I never used a calculator to do the YGO math. Not even a pencil and a paper.

W

Whicker

Pimpwalkin' Mateo Johnson said:
I don't see why not. You're allowed to take notes during the match, so I can't think of a reason why a calculator would be disallowed.

I suppose it would have to be approved before the match/tournament, though, to ensure that all you're doing with it is calculating. :p

You actually aren't allowed to take notes during the test. I missed this question on the professor test ><.

I would probably say no if you are using it to calculate things, because of the electronic devices rule, but other than that, I don't see a problem.