Arcticwhite's Fake Cards *Update* Fakémon Water Starter! 28/03/2016

Arcticwhite

You win or you die.
RE: Arcticwhite's Fake Cards *Update* Yet another CaC 05/12/13

Luispipe8 said:
Me sees error... Me can not say... A CaC entry can not be corrected... Or wait, can they? I don't know, really... XDDD

Nope, I don't think you can point out the error :p Oh well, I'm sure it's minor...

Blui

lv85 paladin

Well interpret this as you like

If you want feedback before the grading, ask other people - friends, contestants, whatever - and look at existing cards to make sure you're doing it right.

(I can't see the image to to internet problems but hopefully that info helps :) )

Arcticwhite

You win or you die.

Blui said:
Well interpret this as you like

If you want feedback before the grading, ask other people - friends, contestants, whatever - and look at existing cards to make sure you're doing it right.

(I can't see the image to to internet problems but hopefully that info helps :) )

Oh, right, in that case feel free to give feedback guys :p

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor

Great!!! So, I see a wording problem on the Power. Shouldn't it be "all of your Pokemon"?

Arcticwhite

You win or you die.

Luispipe8 said:
Great!!! So, I see a wording problem on the Power. Shouldn't it be "all of your Pokemon"?

I think it does, actually. Thanks for pointing that out to me :p

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf

Ancient Sorario looks great! I'm not too fond of the "Not much is really known about it..." part, as it sounds a bit unprofessional. "Not much is known about it." would be more correct, but that probably wouldn't fill the space. Eh, it's written in runes, so I guess it's no biggie.

I love the new Gurasinu card. I wish more people made trainer-owned cards...

Arcticwhite

You win or you die.

I've been experimenting with animated cards (and yes, I'm finally faking again). Here are some results, but they aren't the most spectacular things in the world since i'm only using actual gifs from the show Attack on Titan, but nonetheless I'm glad I'm faking again :p

30hvlt3.jpg

dwqfea.jpg

Hopefully, I will be continuing with faking into the future a little more, and I'll probably be making more exiting, original cards too. For now, enjoy!

Arcticwhite

You win or you die.
RE: Arcticwhite's Fake Cards *Update* WAIT, AN UPDATE!? 25/07/2014

Possible CaC entry??? We'll see... Still haven't gotten into the competition officially, but hopefully I have a secure space before the deadline. Anyway, here's my (probable) entrant for this month's CaC.

1ew8ph.jpg

Nod3

her majesty
RE: Arcticwhite's Fake Cards *Update* Possible CaC??? 26/07/2014

Is that a gif? While it doesn't look that bad, gifs only support 256 colours, which can cause you to lose points from maybe stuff like believeability or whatever, I'm not a judge so I wouldn't know.

I recommend using animated pngs (APNG). They are not officially supported and they only work on firefox, and old versions of opera, but they still work perfectly fine for people in other browsers (they're just not animated). It also reduces the load time significantly because APNG is way more optimized than gif, and so loads much, much quicker. I don't know about any working APNG makers, but I think that photoshop is capable of saving animated pngs. (they are saved as .png, there was never any .apng format)

This way, you can have fast load times, no loss in quality, and it can still be animated + will display properly for people who can't view APNG. It's a win win.

If that's too much effort, why not submit both and point out ones a gif and ones not and stuff, sort of like how I submitted the right side up and upside down versions of my entry (albeit a different situation I think it's applicable, but I recommend asking CMP)

[/technobabble]

First of all:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-yTpaESzkU[/video]

As for the card, the flavour text has a spelling issue (unless you actually mean fezing the air, I, if I was a physicist would be baffled if I found hats on my particles. I'd probably blame valve).

The wording on the northern lights attack, at the very end is strange to me (I would've put "Discard an Energy attached to Articuno"), BUT I am not even close to up to date with card mechanics. I have, what, 10 hgss cards from the very beginning of hgss? That was 4 years ago, at least. My wording is still stuck in the dppt age, which is why I try to avoid looking at new cards because it fuzzes my wording, so I suppose you should at the very most put this under consideration.

Besides this, I think it's quite good, though maybe if I were in your shoes I might have made it a bit higher simply because power creep.
But I think you should more or less leave it as it is, just fixing wording on the flavour text and fixing the gif issue.

Arcticwhite

You win or you die.

Nod3 said:
Is that a gif? While it doesn't look that bad, gifs only support 256 colours, which can cause you to lose points from maybe stuff like believeability or whatever, I'm not a judge so I wouldn't know.

I recommend using animated pngs (APNG). They are not officially supported and they only work on firefox, and old versions of opera, but they still work perfectly fine for people in other browsers (they're just not animated). It also reduces the load time significantly because APNG is way more optimized than gif, and so loads much, much quicker. I don't know about any working APNG makers, but I think that photoshop is capable of saving animated pngs. (they are saved as .png, there was never any .apng format)

This way, you can have fast load times, no loss in quality, and it can still be animated + will display properly for people who can't view APNG. It's a win win.

If that's too much effort, why not submit both and point out ones a gif and ones not and stuff, sort of like how I submitted the right side up and upside down versions of my entry (albeit a different situation I think it's applicable, but I recommend asking CMP)

[/technobabble]

First of all:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-yTpaESzkU[/video]

As for the card, the flavour text has a spelling issue (unless you actually mean fezing the air, I, if I was a physicist would be baffled if I found hats on my particles. I'd probably blame valve).

The wording on the northern lights attack, at the very end is strange to me (I would've put "Discard an Energy attached to Articuno"), BUT I am not even close to up to date with card mechanics. I have, what, 10 hgss cards from the very beginning of hgss? That was 4 years ago, at least. My wording is still stuck in the dppt age, which is why I try to avoid looking at new cards because it fuzzes my wording, so I suppose you should at the very most put this under consideration.

Besides this, I think it's quite good, though maybe if I were in your shoes I might have made it a bit higher simply because power creep.
But I think you should more or less leave it as it is, just fixing wording on the flavour text and fixing the gif issue.

Ah, thought i corrected that typo. Thank you for the advice, and I think it'll just be easier for me to submit the gif one and the normal one together. As for the wording, I used the Black + White wording, so it's more recent :p

Here are the two updated cards, together:

2rgdnqv.jpg
34yd5wx.jpg

Nod3

her majesty

Arcticwhite said:
Ah, thought i corrected that typo. Thank you for the advice, and I think it'll just be easier for me to submit the gif one and the normal one together. As for the wording, I used the Black + White wording, so it's more recent :p

You know, I looked up fezing on google, and it didn't even try to correct me, literally, almost every results came up as "freezing". It also didn't ask "also showing results for blah blah", it just did, and it didn't ask "did you mean blah blah".

Weird.

Arcticwhite

You win or you die.

Nod3 said:
Arcticwhite said:

You know, I looked up fezing on google, and it didn't even try to correct me, literally, almost every results came up as "freezing". It also didn't ask "also showing results for blah blah", it just did, and it didn't ask "did you mean blah blah".

Weird.

Ok, out of curiosity i actually tried looking up 'fezing' on google and all the results were to do with freezing. Didn't even bother correcting me. Perhaps google is trying to tell us all something.

BigfootAUS

Game Dev & VR Consultant / Trainer

Just out of curiosity, why did you animate some weather instead of the holosheet? Honestly I think having a little mini scene in the card like that (Articuno in a blizzard) is really cool, but having static holo effects in the same space doesn't (in my eyes) work too well. I've thought about it a bit and figured you could try these in the future:
Animating the holosheet and having static weather
Animating the holosheet and animating the weather (favourite because it'd be like ice in a snowstorm, real awesome)
Animating the weather and deleting the holosheet
Animating the weather and animating a reverse-holosheet (using a reverse-holo effect opens up a heap of other possibilities)

I'm interested in animating cards in the future so I've been thinking about what parts of the card could be animated. It's good that more people are experimenting with animated cards ^_^

Arcticwhite

You win or you die.
RE: Arcticwhite's Fake Cards *Update* August CaC entry- A Fakémon! 14/08/2014

And now for another CaC entry. How exciting. I will be rebooting the Kyanite and Fluorite expansion soon, but for now it's just random cards and CaC entries.

2ironyv.jpg

This month I'm going for a Fakémon again; one of my classic starters as a shiny AND a delta. I tried to go for a more 3D effect in the art, and I'm happy with this result. Although I'll score lower on believability, it's the creativity/originality I'm going for. Enjoy and feel free to critique.

Arcticwhite

You win or you die.
RE: Arcticwhite's Fake Cards *Update* Mega Pokémon? 15/08/2014

A now for a Mega Pokémon! I designed a Mega version of Milotic, and thought that I should try out faking XY/ORAS era cards, and here is the result:

mega_milotic_ex_by_arcticwhite2000-d7vd5fg.png

I'm not too pleased with the 3D text, but that's the best I can do at the moment, along with the visual effects and text placement. But I think it still looks nice!

Amperglyph

Irresponsibly Colorful

I love the card so far, but your comment about the 3D text got me thinking - I haven't really tried to replicate the effect before, maybe it's easier than it looks?

Anyway, I think I came up with an easily reproducible method that comes rather close to the official text art. I use Photoshop, so I'm explaining it from that perspective...hopefully the fundamentals can transfer over to GIMP or another program, if that's what you use.

Here's a sample on a Xerneas:
XerneasXY96_zps18c3ed50.jpg

But where did it learn Gangan Punch?

The first step is to put the gradient on there; obviously, you've got that part down. I didn't put sparkles on mine, because you've got an amazing handle on those already.

The next part is that white edge - it doesn't quite have the right footprint for a Bevel/Emboss, but if you use the Inner Shadow, set the color to flat white and the blend mode to Normal or Screen, you get much closer. Making the Size option very low, only about 1 or 2, helps give that clear-cut look.

Then there's the 3D part. For that, I just duplicated the layer, and moved the lower of the two up and to the left slightly, so that only some of the edges were still touching the original.

Once moved, then there's adjusting the colors - the gradient for the lower layer is considerably darker, about 20-30 brightness darker. Additionally, the orange seems to instead be red, or even red-violet.

In order to simulate the corners, once again the Inner Shadow comes in handy, but this time for what it's supposed to be for. Set the shadow back to black and Darken/Multiply. Then make sure to remove it from the Global Light so you can put it at whatever angle looks most natural - in my case, it was 180°.

I just used a quick-and-dirty Outer Glow set to Difference to put it on the card, but had I actually been trying for a finished product, I might have explored different options,

Anyway, hopefully that helps - it's a mock effect, so it's not quite as impressive as what you'd get if you actually rendered the letters, but I think it does an admirable job of resembling the cards without taking too much time to set up.

BigfootAUS

Game Dev & VR Consultant / Trainer

Can confirm: Amperglyph's method is great and more efficient than trying to render the letters in a dedicated 3D program. It might end up a little rough, but that's when you can just rasterize the layer effects and merge the layers together to apply a simple bit of polish.
Just remember to keep the text sharp and to apply some effects to the text too - it helps to make it 'blend' with the rest of the card, instead of actually just floating amongst the art.
And that there's no gradient on secret-rare megas! It's pure gold!
5-m-heracross-ex.jpg
112-m-heracross-ex.jpg

Arcticwhite

You win or you die.

Amperglyph said:
I love the card so far, but your comment about the 3D text got me thinking - I haven't really tried to replicate the effect before, maybe it's easier than it looks?

Anyway, I think I came up with an easily reproducible method that comes rather close to the official text art. I use Photoshop, so I'm explaining it from that perspective...hopefully the fundamentals can transfer over to GIMP or another program, if that's what you use.

Here's a sample on a Xerneas:
XerneasXY96_zps18c3ed50.jpg

But where did it learn Gangan Punch?

The first step is to put the gradient on there; obviously, you've got that part down. I didn't put sparkles on mine, because you've got an amazing handle on those already.

The next part is that white edge - it doesn't quite have the right footprint for a Bevel/Emboss, but if you use the Inner Shadow, set the color to flat white and the blend mode to Normal or Screen, you get much closer. Making the Size option very low, only about 1 or 2, helps give that clear-cut look.

Then there's the 3D part. For that, I just duplicated the layer, and moved the lower of the two up and to the left slightly, so that only some of the edges were still touching the original.

Once moved, then there's adjusting the colors - the gradient for the lower layer is considerably darker, about 20-30 brightness darker. Additionally, the orange seems to instead be red, or even red-violet.

In order to simulate the corners, once again the Inner Shadow comes in handy, but this time for what it's supposed to be for. Set the shadow back to black and Darken/Multiply. Then make sure to remove it from the Global Light so you can put it at whatever angle looks most natural - in my case, it was 180°.

I just used a quick-and-dirty Outer Glow set to Difference to put it on the card, but had I actually been trying for a finished product, I might have explored different options,

Anyway, hopefully that helps - it's a mock effect, so it's not quite as impressive as what you'd get if you actually rendered the letters, but I think it does an admirable job of resembling the cards without taking too much time to set up.

Thank you for your tips, I think I'll definitely try that method next time. Really appreciate it!

bigfootaus said:
Can confirm: Amperglyph's method is great and more efficient than trying to render the letters in a dedicated 3D program. It might end up a little rough, but that's when you can just rasterize the layer effects and merge the layers together to apply a simple bit of polish.
Just remember to keep the text sharp and to apply some effects to the text too - it helps to make it 'blend' with the rest of the card, instead of actually just floating amongst the art.
And that there's no gradient on secret-rare megas! It's pure gold!
5-m-heracross-ex.jpg
112-m-heracross-ex.jpg

I didn't notice that it was supposed to be pure gold haha, thank you for pointing that out for me :)

aschefield101

is behind you !

Its a 2 tone gold gradient, you'll need 2 in order to simulate light reflections :)

Arcticwhite

You win or you die.

Thank you all for the feed back, I really appreciate it. I think I'll try and update Milotic soon :)