Discussion Aqua Patch: What Will You Use?

Chronis

Aspiring Trainer
I'm definitely going to try it out in my M Gyarados Deck. It could be a really good combo with Mega Turbo. The fact that M Gyarados doesn't have grass weakness definitely helps the deck too. It won't replace Turbo Dark deck as my go-to deck, but it'll definitely be fun to mess around with on PTCGO.
Would you mind sharing your list for M Gyarados? I'm trying to help my friend build that as his first deck.

Kyrushi

Squirrel
Do you think Vaporeon will let us abuse Aqua Patch on pokemon that aren't normally water? That would really speed up some of my gimmick decks!

The_Poke_Bros

Master Arcanine Trainer
Would you mind sharing your list for M Gyarados? I'm trying to help my friend build that as his first deck.
You could switch Shaymin EX with an octillery line, but this deck needs a lot of consistency cards to run smoothly.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 10

* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 106
* 1 Hoopa-EX AOR 89
* 1 Glaceon-EX FAC 116
* 2 Gyarados-EX BKP 26
* 2 M Gyarados-EX BKP 27
* 2 Manaphy-EX BKP 32

##Trainer Cards - 38

* 4 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 4 Rough Seas PRC 137
* 3 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 4 Mega Turbo ROS 86
* 2 Dive Ball PRC 125
* 2 Lysandre AOR 78
* 1 Super Rod BKT 149
* 4 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 3 Gyarados Spirit Link BKP 101
* 3 N NVI 101
* 4 Ultra Ball FAC 113
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

##Energy - 12

* 12 Water Energy 3

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Chronis

Aspiring Trainer
Thank you very much! In your experience has the 3rd Gyarados and M Gyarados EX been unecessary? Does the deck also not need Palkia EX?

The_Poke_Bros

Master Arcanine Trainer
Thank you very much! In your experience has the 3rd Gyarados and M Gyarados EX been unecessary? Does the deck also not need Palkia EX?
I've tested with Palkia and it makes the deck way too slow/inconsistent in my opinion. The basic idea is to ultra ball for Hoopa then grab two Gyarados and a Shaymin. Then you max elixir the benched Gyarados, while discarding a few energies with ultra ball so you can use mega turbo. You'd be surprised how fast you go through the deck. If you run it correctly, it goes at a similar pace to Turbo Dark. If you're not too careful you can deck out, which is something to watch out for. As far as running a third line, two is probably enough. You could run three if you're afraid of prizing one. However, M Gyarados is so tanky at 240 hp and is so hard to knock out with rough seas in play. Thanks to Manaphy he won't be vulnerable to a lysandre as he has free retreat with a water energy. It has an auto loss against Deciduplume and has an unfavorable matchup with M Mewtwo or Espeon GX, but it absolutely wrecks Volcanion and Umbreon decks for example. It's definitely a solid first deck. When aqua patch drops, I'd probably swap one mega turbo and one max elixir for two aqua patch, but I may need to play test to see what number to run.

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
My top 3 choices for Aqua Patch:
Lapras-GX
Lapras offers a lot of card draw on it's own, so being able to consistently Aqua Patch is a realistic option.
This helps the deck recover from Grunts and Hammers, as they usually run a rather low Energy count (approx. 10 Water energy, and you need 3 to attack).
This also synergizes well with Manaphy, as you can retreat to either Patch on energy, or reset your Blizzard Burn.

M-Gyarados
Mega Gyarados scales based off of the energy attached to him, and discards from your deck while he attacks; I feel the synergy here is obvious.

Wishwashi-GX
Kyogre accelerates an absurd amount of energy from your hand, and Gyarados can accelerate it from your discard...
but you still need a place to put it!
Along with it's massive HP stat, Wishiwashi gives you a different attacking option for your deck, preventing you from being walled by things like Giratina, Regice, and Glaceon.

It's GX attack also OHKOs a lot of other Pokemon, while setting up your Gyarados/Kyogre!
With Manaphy in play as well, it's nearly risk free, as you can retreat after.

Keep in mind that we may be losing Float Stone next rotation, and Field Blower was recently printed on top of that... so Manaphy may prove to be a rather invaluable card~

Nice to see another Primal Kyogre player but what will you be swapping out for it? Currently running 3 max elixir and 1 mega turbo. Either way, there are so many options in the upcoming set to make Primal Kyogre more fun to play with!

I don't think you need the Max Elixirs or Turbo, as Kyogre's main strength is accelerating from the hand!
Try using Professor's Letter, and Aqua Patch (in this case) is almost strictly better than Mega Turbo.

susumu21

MM FOOD
My top 3 choices for Aqua Patch:
Lapras-GX
Lapras offers a lot of card draw on it's own, so being able to consistently Aqua Patch is a realistic option.
This helps the deck recover from Grunts and Hammers, as they usually run a rather low Energy count (approx. 10 Water energy, and you need 3 to attack).
This also synergizes well with Manaphy, as you can retreat to either Patch on energy, or reset your Blizzard Burn.

M-Gyarados
Mega Gyarados scales based off of the energy attached to him, and discards from your deck while he attacks; I feel the synergy here is obvious.

Wishwashi-GX
Kyogre accelerates an absurd amount of energy from your hand, and Gyarados can accelerate it from your discard...
but you still need a place to put it!
Along with it's massive HP stat, Wishiwashi gives you a different attacking option for your deck, preventing you from being walled by things like Giratina, Regice, and Glaceon.

It's GX attack also OHKOs a lot of other Pokemon, while setting up your Gyarados/Kyogre!
With Manaphy in play as well, it's nearly risk free, as you can retreat after.

Keep in mind that we may be losing Float Stone next rotation, and Field Blower was recently printed on top of that... so Manaphy may prove to be a rather invaluable card~

I don't think you need the Max Elixirs or Turbo, as Kyogre's main strength is accelerating from the hand!
Try using Professor's Letter, and Aqua Patch (in this case) is almost strictly better than Mega Turbo.

Thanks for the tips! Now that SM2 is out, the patches and brooklet hill does help a lot. I've been going back and forth with how much of what will work better but i'll update with a list once I find it goof enough.