Anti-Nintendo Articles

8bitCelebi

Aspiring Trainer
Okay, I'm creating this thread because there's a frustrating thing I want to get off my mind.

I'm talking about Anti Nintendo Articles. They are mostly written by business analysts who think Nintendo will fail or won't do well.

I found this article: http://www.slashgear.com/will-nintendo-get-any-attention-this-holiday-season-28307077/ titled,"Will Nintendo get any attention this holiday season?".

They mentioned the Wii U might be beaten by the Xbox One and PS4, and smartphones. They didn't even mention the 3DS at all so I was assuming it was made by a Sony/Microsoft/Sony fan.

I left a comment saying Nintendo will get attention because they also have the 3ds. Then a guy by the username of Andrewy27 replied to my comment saying,"You can only live off a handheld for so long". And he keeps bragging how smartphones are going to beat the 3ds and his family and workers use smartphones. He also kept going on about the games being cheaper on the iPhone.

I've seen several of these articles since 2011 where they keep talking about how smartphone gaming will "kill" dedicated handhelds like the 3ds.

What do you guys think about these kind of articles? And if you read one of these articles before, I would like you tell me about it.

The-Kaiser

Starfleet Captain and Pokemon Trainer
RE: Anti Nintendo Articles :(

just shows how biased they are a good game article should be unbiased

Gardy

Drohn is love, Drohn is life...

It seems that he appears to be expressing his thoughts (in a poor way) and he doesn't like Nintendo that much. We could try to counter act him with facts about the Nintendo fiscal year, but people are stubborn and they don't sway ways easily. So I say let bygones be bygones and just ignore the people who try to bring us down.

Teal

黄前さん らしい ね

Ignorant people are ignorant and haters hate. Try not to pay them any attention. If they are wrong, they are. Own loss.

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member

keep-calm-and-don-t-feed-the-troll-22.png

[/thread]

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away

Isn't the real issue at hand here here anti-anything articles?

As for the article posted, I just see a poorly worded, click-bait article. This is pretty obvious from the use of stupid words such as hardcore and casual. I wouldn't be bothered with it, honestly. It's scummy making titles like that to pull in the cash, but a job is a job.

As for the whole "iDevices will kill Nintendo" debacle, New Super Mario Bros. Wii alone made more than every Angry Birds put together. And I'm talking in the multiples realm here, not just a, "They sold ten more." While NSMBWii was a huge success on a very successful platform, the fact that one game on Nintendo's dedicated gaming platform (That is: Bought 9/10 for the sole reason of playing games) can outsell more than dozens of highly rated apps on something as widespread as a phone (Something people own already and just buy games on because it's there) says that they definitely do have a place in this day and age.

Last but not least Nintendo made billions of dollars pure profit in the DS and Wii era. Put all of that together and it's pretty safe to say that Nintendo's going to be fine.

professorlight

Ice Queen

Listen, I'll say it nicely: this is bullshit and you shouldn't, as DNA said, feed the trolls.

Nintendo is in trouble this holiday season. There. I said it. After all, someone had to, right?

Oh, how corageous! This guy is a real rebel, going against a a corrupt and idiotic establishment... a hero, even!

With the gaming industry abuzz over the launch of not one, but two consoles in the course of a week, Nintendo has been trying to get at least some attention from the media. Like the person in the back row trying to be seen in a picture, there’s no getting out of the way of Sony’s PS4 and Microsoft’s Xbox One. And Nintendo doesn’t appear to have the firepower to change that.

I know the Wii U had a stronger October, thanks to the console’s price cut, but I don’t see much in the way of success for the game company this holiday season.

So, it's been doing well, but it won't do well anymore... when there will be even more demand?

Let’s start with the hardware. The Wii U is simply too underpowered to impress anyone in the hard-core segment. What’s worse for Nintendo, it appears that many kids and casual users – the core segment of the company’s last market – don’t seem to be jumping on the Wii U bandwagon like they did with the previous hardware.

Well, the wii did prove that graphic power isn't all the people want... but it would be really hard for anyone to repeat the massive succes of the wii, right?

Over the last few weeks, I’ve spoken to several kids in Nintendo’s key demographic and asked them if they wanted a Wii U. I also asked them if any of their friends wanted a Wii U. On every occasion, those kids said that they want an iPod touch and play games like Minecraft, not Mario.

Several kids =/= the minimum sample for a measurable trend. And if the guy's previous articles (http://www.slashgear.com/nintendos-family-friendly-focus-will-backfire-06304456/, http://http://www.slashgear.com/is-2014-shaping-up-to-be-apples-year-03303994/) are any indication, those kids might not be very fond of nintendo anyway.

Granted, my evidence is anecdotal, at best, but it proves a point. Years ago, those same kids were the ones who wanted a Wii and thought it was a must-have. Now, there are other products on store shelves that peer pressure has determined are best.

And the point is... those kids don't want a wii U? Well, yes, of course, this shit happens all the time, now the hot item are Ipads and the PS4.

"Where does Nintendo fit into the average life of its core market?"
I’m also not sure where Nintendo and the Wii U fits into the average life of those who would be considered its core market. After all, Nintendo’s customers are casual gamers – the kind of folks that won’t want to sit in front of a television for hours on end. Casual gamers want to be able to play a fun game for a little while and go about their day.

Wii's target was casual gamers, as in: grannies, moms, people who don't usually play videogames, you see, that's why it was so succesful. Nintendo's target is, put simply, little kids and gamers that like the quality games nintendo produces.

When the Wii launched, it was the only show in town for such gaming. But now that devices like the iPad, iPod touch, and others are available, the Wii U is facing a tidal wave of competition. And as its sales have shown, it can’t quite keep up.

And how exactly are the pads and tablets even remotely comparable to a chunk of plastic you must keep on your living room the whole time and that has entirely different graphics, gameplay and exclusive games?

So, as we sit on the precipice of what is promising to be a huge holiday shopping season for retailers, I can’t help but wonder what will come of Nintendo. The company doesn’t have the hardware firepower to stand out and Sony and Microsoft are getting all the headlines right now. What’s worse, Nintendo’s software is being ignored by those it needs the most.

Look at what happened at the last E3, nintendo is not trying to compete for PS4 and XBone's market, they just don't care for it.

While I can see Nintendo revenue going up this holiday season, I think that’ll be the result of it being the holidays and nothing else. The Wii U appears destined to be in third place this generation, and as of this writing, I don’t think that will change.

So, they will make money? but... didn't he just said: " I don’t see much in the way of success for the game company this holiday season."? I don't get it,.. so.., bad if they do, but bad if they don't?

Look around the page: their editorial line is clear, all ipads and stuff, a little PS4 news shortcut up there and at first sight, two articles about how nintendo will inevitably fail and it's doing everything wrong.

So, just... let them be. Those guys want the console war, because that means business, and they can't stand that this time there is such a clear winner (PS4) so they try to start shit.

8bitCelebi

Aspiring Trainer

SotS said:
Isn't the real issue at hand here here anti-anything articles?

As for the article posted, I just see a poorly worded, click-bait article. This is pretty obvious from the use of stupid words such as hardcore and casual. I wouldn't be bothered with it, honestly. It's scummy making titles like that to pull in the cash, but a job is a job.

As for the whole "iDevices will kill Nintendo" debacle, New Super Mario Bros. Wii alone made more than every Angry Birds put together. And I'm talking in the multiples realm here, not just a, "They sold ten more." While NSMBWii was a huge success on a very successful platform, the fact that one game on Nintendo's dedicated gaming platform (That is: Bought 9/10 for the sole reason of playing games) can outsell more than dozens of highly rated apps on something as widespread as a phone (Something people own already and just buy games on because it's there) says that they definitely do have a place in this day and age.

Last but not least Nintendo made billions of dollars pure profit in the DS and Wii era. Put all of that together and it's pretty safe to say that Nintendo's going to be fine.

In my freshman year, I actually trolled other high schoolers to stop playing Angry Birds and play Pokemon instead. I keep telling them Pokemon is better. I even posted a video on my Youtube channel on why 3ds is better than iPod Touch. Yes, I was pathetic.

I was just worried that if Nintendo stops making hardware, there would be no more Pokemon games.

Bo$$_89

Two Posts a Day Kept the Trolls Away

Man, I wish my phone could play games and not lag it's very nuts off trying too. Handhelds will be better than smartphones gaming-wise until a company actually makes a phone designed to be able to run games.

fezwhy

Aspiring Trainer

There is a reason why nintendo has been around so long. I mean the first game boy came out in 1989. The 3ds looks fantastic. The ps vita failed and so did the psp. Nintendo outsold them huge. It would appear that article is very biases. I think Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon are more well known games than anything else on Xbox or Playstation.

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member

The reason PSP didn't do so well (I believe) is because there weren't very many noteworthy games for it. I do believe the PSP is a fantastic system; it's just lacking in the games department. (I own one, but only for listening to music and playing Dissidia.)

That's my personal opinion; take it how you will.

8bitCelebi

Aspiring Trainer

Bo$$_89 said:
Man, I wish my phone could play games and not lag it's very nuts off trying too. Handhelds will be better than smartphones gaming-wise until a company actually makes a phone designed to be able to run games.

There was actually a phone designed to run games. The Nokia N-Gage in 2003. It was more powerful than the GBA but it got creamed by the GBA.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member

8bitCelebi said:
Bo$$_89 said:

There was actually a phone designed to run games. The Nokia N-Gage in 2003. It was more powerful than the GBA but it got creamed by the GBA.

The N-Gage died because it was terrible. As is obvious from this bit of history, computing power alone does not a console make. The N-Gage had no good games and the design was terrible because you had to open the case and remove the battery to change your game card. It deserved to die.

J.D.

Mewtwo Fan

SotS said:
DNA said:
The reason PSP didn't do so well (I believe) is because there weren't very many noteworthy games for it. I do believe the PSP is a fantastic system; it's just lacking in the games department. (I own one, but only for listening to music and playing Dissidia.)

That's my personal opinion; take it how you will.

Monster Hunter.
Your PSP needs it.
Noowwww.
Why? If you need a Monster Hunter game, go with one of the newer 3DS games.

As for this article, yeah, I hate all the anti-Nintendo crap going on... but what can you do? Most so-called journalism these days are now tailored to cater to specific listeners, much like TV and radio stations have always been. And the specific audience of many of these people are brocore types who love their brocore systems and hate Nintendo. So what better way to keep their attention (and their clicks) than to say brocore systems will win and Nintendo will fail?

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away

J.D. said:
SotS said:
Monster Hunter.
Your PSP needs it.
Noowwww.
Why? If you need a Monster Hunter game, go with one of the newer 3DS games.

As for this article, yeah, I hate all the anti-Nintendo crap going on... but what can you do? Most so-called journalism these days are now tailored to cater to specific listeners, much like TV and radio stations have always been. And the specific audience of many of these people are brocore types who love their brocore systems and hate Nintendo. So what better way to keep their attention (and their clicks) than to say brocore systems will win and Nintendo will fail?

Late reply, but the reason is that Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate 3DS has a few issues so to speak. The text being extremely blurry being one of the biggest. It's good on Wii U, but that's not portable.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite has its issues, but they're nowhere near as obvious as blurry text throughout the whole thing.

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon
I won't speak for the original article since, judging by some previous comments, it's just not worth it.
Anti-Nintendo articles and policies will always exist, even if Nintendo was made and covered in gold. I can't really explain why because it's something that blows my mind every time I try to think about it. Those who do that are just thrashing without reasoning and the few who actually give Nintendo some though...those will most certainly get trashed as poor journalists or, if it comes from someone childhish, as a child who like children's games.
Nintendo is the only family and gamer friendly company that doesn't discriminate just because someone like a simpler game instead of how other companies tend to focus on explosion and awesome graphics and also tries differents approaches to gaming.
How many people still remember how the Wii helped bring old people to games and enjoy a more active life while having fun, how the Brain Training games from the DS also helped some old folk to spend their time while keeping their memory sharp? There where news about this but quickly fell into the shadows, like it was some kind of funny useless thing, like old people where children who should be treated as such and so give few attention and not regard anything they say as important.
Nintendo is having a rough time with the WiiU and the Nostradamus of the gaming industry have and will always use that as an omen of disaster to come and the supposedly inevitable end of Nintendo, namely as a hardware company that should just became a prostitute and sel their software across all other platforms.

Stand your ground Nintendo and fans!

8bitCelebi

Aspiring Trainer
Leaf_Ranger said:
I won't speak for the original article since, judging by some previous comments, it's just not worth it.
Anti-Nintendo articles and policies will always exist, even if Nintendo was made and covered in gold. I can't really explain why because it's something that blows my mind every time I try to think about it. Those who do that are just thrashing without reasoning and the few who actually give Nintendo some though...those will most certainly get trashed as poor journalists or, if it comes from someone childhish, as a child who like children's games.
Nintendo is the only family and gamer friendly company that doesn't discriminate just because someone like a simpler game instead of how other companies tend to focus on explosion and awesome graphics and also tries differents approaches to gaming.
How many people still remember how the Wii helped bring old people to games and enjoy a more active life while having fun, how the Brain Training games from the DS also helped some old folk to spend their time while keeping their memory sharp? There where news about this but quickly fell into the shadows, like it was some kind of funny useless thing, like old people where children who should be treated as such and so give few attention and not regard anything they say as important.
Nintendo is having a rough time with the WiiU and the Nostradamus of the gaming industry have and will always use that as an omen of disaster to come and the supposedly inevitable end of Nintendo, namely as a hardware company that should just became a prostitute and sel their software across all other platforms.

Stand your ground Nintendo and fans!

Yeah, I'm sure Nintendo will eventually regain prominence it had during the Wii and Ds days.

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon
8bitCelebi said:
Yeah, I'm sure Nintendo will eventually regain prominence it had during the Wii and Ds days.

That's the thing - Nintendo is already prominent and the problem with the anti-Nintendo articles is that they don't give Nintendo their due merit, choosing instead to speak ill about it or not speaking at all.
The company isn't sailing on calm waters when it comes to the WiiU but the 3DS, despite the mobile devices threat and not selling the numbers of the DS, is selling and has a nice collection of games. Also, Nintendo is always innovating and it stands apart from the rest of the industry because of its singularity and gamer/family friendly hardware and software.

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
There's been rumors going around on the Internet that Nintendo is developing a new video game console in the next 5 years known as the "Nintendo Fusion" which is an all-in-one device where you can play handheld games on the Fusion console and vice-versa which will hopefully be backwards compatible with 3DS titles. Although I think it would be in Nintendo's best interest to merge with Valve considering how underrated Steam is compared to the PS4 and XBox One in today's console wars, it would help elevate the problem that Nintendo has currently with a lack of online multiplayer in their launch titles. We're long overdue for a new F-Zero and StarFox game yet they refuse to release new games based on those IP's.

The biggest irony when it comes to Nintendo is that the reason why the NES took off in the 80's after the last video game market crash was mostly due to the abundance of 3rd Party Titles being released for that console while as nowadays those 3rd Party Titles are mostly being developed by Nintendo's competitors for release on Sony and Microsoft's consoles. Nintendo has learned the hard way that they can't survive on 1st Party Titles alone as it shows with their financial woes of the Wii U but as for the 3DS I think they might be branching out a bit more in terms of 3rd Party support aside from 1st Party like with Bravely Default. Region Locking titles doesn't help their situation either as it limits access to games that is geared to what Nintendo believes is a niche market when it could actually turn a profit for themselves.

They need to go back to the formula they used in the N64 era with today's advancements in technology, make an actual appearance at the next E3 Convention without having to resort to using Nintendo Direct, and don't make the same mistake again with the Wii U that they did 20 years ago with the Virtual Boy where they rushed to stay ahead of the curve. There wouldn't be so many anti-Nintendo articles on the Internet If they had learned from their past mistakes which apparently they didn't but perhaps it has more to do with the current transitional shift in the video game industry where developers, publishers, and independent developers are trying to juggle the concept of smaller games that don't take a ton of investment yet produce really well or games that we've been accustomed to since the 80's and 90's.