Discussion Anti-Meta Cards

thood

Konohagakure Shinobi
Hey fellow PokeBeachers! It's been a while since I've actually posted a thread on here, so forgive me if I break a few rules....
Anyways, I'd like to talk about Anti-Metagame cards - cards that are specifically used to counteract the most popular decks/cards being played in the current format. These cards usually consist of Pokemon, but can also be Trainer cards or even Energy cards. Additionally, they can be a simple 1-1 line or 1-of tech that you toss into a deck, or you can build an entire deck around anti-meta cards (Jimmy Pendarvis' Raichu/Leafeon deck). I want this thread to be used to discuss not only all the of the potential anti-meta cards in format, but also the viability of each. I'll start the thread by analyzing Raichu XY as an example:

Raichu XY - I find this card to be not only easily spashable in nearly every deck, but also extremely viable. Not only can Raichu go toe-to-toe with the ever-present Yveltal EX, but it also threatens newer cards like M-Rayquaza and Shaymin EX. Raichu received another boon in Roaring Skies with Skyfield, which now allows Raichu to function as its own deck rather than as a simple tech. With Skyfield up, a full bench, and Muscle Band attached, Raichu hits 180, which OHKOs any non-Mega EX bar Wailord, and OHKO Mega-Rayquaza EX. Finally to ice the cake, Raichu is blessed with an amazing 0 retreat cost, allowing you to switch between attackers freely.

Okay, so that's the gist of it. Please comment with some of your favorite anti-meta cards, or even decks if you have them!

Back