'Ancient Origins' Set List Discussion Thread

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Last edited:

whirlpoolm51

Aspiring Trainer
Pika6319 I'm assuming you mean M-Swampert too when you talk about the promos?

I read somewhere that Ancient Origins will also only have EX-Pokemon as well with someone here, can't remember who, that also claimed that there would only be 11 EX's in Ancient Origins.

Found the website here, hope it doesn't matter that I post a link to it: http://www.pidgi.net/press/2015/set-descriptions-for-ancient-origins-confirm-new-cards/
What do you mean only have EX-pokemon??

Doomdesirer

Stardoom warrior
Why are there no FA supporters. Not to mention the lack of supporters in general and leading to the lack of trainer cards in general.

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
I wonder if there will be anything else integrated for Ancient Origins? The FA Steven could see a release here.

Materious17

Pokemon Geologist
With Kyurem EX (FA)'s placement and the confirmed set number thanks to the eBay leak, there are a lot of spots that have opened up that seem to belong to other FA cards. So we may in fact get that FA Steven in this set.

The Shining Mew

A Mew that shines
On a sort of unrelated note to the previous discussion, I saw on another Pokémon forum website that many people were upset that there was no Latias EX or Mega Latias EX revealed for this set. As Latias is in my top 10 favorite Pokémon of all time (number 8 respectively) of course I would love to see a Latias EX, but a Mega Latias EX may be a little repetitive artwork-wise, what with Mega Latias and Mega Latios looking the exact same save for small features like eye color and size. It would be especially repetitive if Mega Latias EX didn't turn out to be a playable card. So, with all that said, my theory is that Latias EX and Mega Latias EX may be included in a Premium Collection. I am personally in favor of that idea, despite the price, because that way the Latias EX's will be promotional rather than having a repetitive role in a set.

Pikachu6319

Scooby
I don't deny that M. Latias and M. Latios basically look the same. But as we already know from the release of M. Latios, they are clearly two different Pokémon and will be treated as such.

As for playability, well I think to an extent that is a matter of opinion with all cards. Any card is playable it's more an issue of how much work has to go into it to make it useable and what kind of effect it has. The more work that needs done in todays environment and the less it does effect wise the less playable people deem it.

I don't see any particular reason why they would release an M. Latias premium collection...but there was no major reason to release M. Absol in a premium collection either so it is entirely possible. I however kind of hope not because I'd like to see them get full arts just like Latios/M. Latios did.

It might actually be kind of neat to see FA Steven be in this set. Normally I'd probably discount that but we did get essential reprints of M. Rayquaza, Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
WIth the additional leak of further cards, we can now see the placing of a bunch of cards, specially Trainers. (I edited the OP myself, hope you don't mind)
Explanations for most ones here:

#69 - Ace Trainer
#70 - Ampharos Spirit Link
#71 - Eco Arm
#72 - Energy Recycle ("En" and part of the background are visible)
#73 - Faded ____ (Color Drained City)
#74 - Giant Plant Stadium
#75 - Hex Maniac
#76 - Level Ball
#77 - Lucky Helmet (Word "Out" (Knocked Out) visible in the left, which should be included in a clause in the English print)
#78 - Supporter, illustrated by Ken Sugimori - Possibly Lysandre reprint given the position (Only number and illustrator are visible)
#79 - Paint Roller
#80 - Sceptile Spirit Link (confirmed because of the illustrator)
#81 - Tyranitar Spirit Link ^
#100 - Trainer's Mail (gold) (Full picture revealed, confirms Shiny Megas are within the set and not SR)

So, I guess we do have room for a FA Steven nonetheless, and we'll get a Supporter reprint, since there's not another one to be released.

Materious17

Pokemon Geologist
WIth the additional leak of further cards, we can now see the placing of a bunch of cards, specially Trainers. (I edited the OP myself, hope you don't mind)
Explanations for most ones here:

#69 - Ace Trainer
#70 - Ampharos Spirit Link
#71 - Eco Arm
#72 - Energy Recycle ("En" and part of the background are visible)
#73 - Faded ____ (Color Drained City)
#74 - Giant Plant Stadium
#75 - Hex Maniac
#76 - Level Ball
#77 - Lucky Helmet (Word "Out" (Knocked Out) visible in the left, which should be included in a clause in the English print)
#78 - Supporter, illustrated by Ken Sugimori - Possibly Lysandre reprint given the position (Only number and illustrator are visible)
#79 - Paint Roller
#80 - Sceptile Spirit Link (confirmed because of the illustrator)
#81 - Tyranitar Spirit Link ^
#100 - Trainer's Mail (gold) (Full picture revealed, confirms Shiny Megas are within the set and not SR)

So, I guess we do have room for a FA Steven nonetheless, and we'll get a Supporter reprint, since there's not another one to be released.

Ah, no problem man, I didn't see anything new about a leak so I had to do some digging and I found it on Reddit just now. There is just something about the list that doesn't feel quite right. Right before you edited, there were 2 open slots for new cards before all of the FA's, well if those 2 cards are Energy Recycle and another Supporter, than why is there still an open spot between Flash Energy and Sceptile EX (FA)? Did I have my numbering wrong before? Or is there a card missing now that was in Bandit Ring?

The Shining Mew

A Mew that shines
I don't deny that M. Latias and M. Latios basically look the same. But as we already know from the release of M. Latios, they are clearly two different Pokémon and will be treated as such.

As for playability, well I think to an extent that is a matter of opinion with all cards. Any card is playable it's more an issue of how much work has to go into it to make it useable and what kind of effect it has. The more work that needs done in todays environment and the less it does effect wise the less playable people deem it.

I don't see any particular reason why they would release an M. Latias premium collection...but there was no major reason to release M. Absol in a premium collection either so it is entirely possible. I however kind of hope not because I'd like to see them get full arts just like Latios/M. Latios did.

It might actually be kind of neat to see FA Steven be in this set. Normally I'd probably discount that but we did get essential reprints of M. Rayquaza, Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon.

I would really love to see full arts as well. I wonder how they determine who will get a premium collection?

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
The extra Supporter moved the rest of the Trainers down. SO we either have some other reprint in the bottom of the trainers or some hidden FA before Kyurem, which is unlikely. Although, there IS a Special Energy in 82, so this gets tricky.

Materious17

Pokemon Geologist
The extra Supporter moved the rest of the Trainers down. SO we either have some other reprint in the bottom of the trainers or some hidden FA before Kyurem, which is unlikely. Although, there IS a Special Energy in 82, so this gets tricky.

Yeah, I must have just gotten my initial numbering messed up before when turning the Bandit Ring list into the Ancient Origin list and I removed a empty space in there. Well we could see a reprint of Double Colorless or Rainbow Energy for this set so that's probably the most logical choice.

Frosty

Bleh.
It seems everything is still in the same order as the Japanese version, at least up till Gardevior. Which means we're not getting that umbreon promo in this set....

I guess we're getting 2 new trainers then.
Wonder what they'll be reprinting.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
Further leaks confirmed the placings of Virizion and Sceptile-EX, and also confirm that Energy Recycle will be in the set.

OP has been updated.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
Oh hold up, did I read the previous post right and the Shiny FA are not secret rares?

No, unless they're after the SR Trainers, which is unlikely.

The leaks are still coming! I'll update the latest trainers into the OP.

Materious17

Pokemon Geologist
Just a thought, since the Shiny FA's are not secret rares but ultra rares, wouldn't they get sorted by type along with the other full arts instead of being placed at the very end. That would place Primal Kyogre EX (shiny FA) right before Kyurem EX (FA) which moves Sceptile EX and M-Sceptile EX (FA's) right up against Flash Energy at 84-85.

Edit: Nevermind! I forgot that Kyurem EX (FA) is 86/98 and therefore there is only room for Sceptile EX and M-Sceptile EX (FA's) in between Flash Energy 83/98 and Kyurem EX 86/98. So the Primals have to go after all of the other standard full arts.

Last edited:

Frosty

Bleh.
Random thought. unless Bad energy is named something different in english and it comes after flash energy, we could get double colorless again.